With Odyssey announced, a word from a full-time MMO gamer.

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date

Deleted member 110222

D
This is very important advice here.

Do not, under any circumstances, start to build up expectations of what Odyssey "must" be, months before it is due to launch. (Almost a year, even)

Seriously, one of the worst things we can do at this point is start discussing what we will be able to do, how it will work, etc.

I see this mistake happen in MMO expansion launches all the time and it leads to many, many disagreements and worse.

The reality is this. Features are going to change. Things might, and probably will, get cut, to a small extent. Other things might be added that nobody expects.

Definitely don't lose sight of the fact that the world is a very different place now and everyone is still adapting, Frontier included. This will create challenges, especially for a studio that has always worked in-house.

This should be MO for online games. But yeah. Please. Just bear in mind that this is a game and hiccups do happen.

I learned this lesson during my break from ED, where I went on to MMORPGs. I learned this big lesson for expansions: Expect nothing, and you cannot be disappointed. An extreme view, sure, but trust me, it works and I am much happier with the games I love as a result.

And the recent Greymoor expansion for ESO was a disaster. Enough to kill some games. But here I am, happy with it, as I have learned to accept that a game's design is entirely out of my control.

Im terrible at Ship combat but good at FPS.
I might actually have a chance to be good at ED.
That's me as well, and why I mostly play star citizen now - I get to fly a starship and FPS all in the same game. Being able to do that without constant crashes, disconnects and weird bugs would be a dream come true. There are a lot of ex-ED people playing SC right now, and I bet a lot of them are going to come back because of this.

Do not, under any circumstances, start to build up expectations of what Odyssey "must" be, months before it is due to launch. (Almost a year, even)

Seriously, one of the worst things we can do at this point is start discussing what we will be able to do, how it will work, etc.

I see this mistake happen in MMO expansion launches all the time and it leads to many, many disagreements and worse.

The reality is this. Features are going to change. Things might, and probably will, get cut, to a small extent. Other things might be added that nobody expects.

Definitely don't lose sight of the fact that the world is a very different place now and everyone is still adapting, Frontier included. This will create challenges, especially for a studio that has always worked in-house.

This should be MO for online games. But yeah. Please. Just bear in mind that this is a game and hiccups do happen.

I learned this lesson during my break from ED, where I went on to MMORPGs. I learned this big lesson for expansions: Expect nothing, and you cannot be disappointed. An extreme view, sure, but trust me, it works and I am much happier with the games I love as a result.

And the recent Greymoor expansion for ESO was a disaster. Enough to kill some games. But here I am, happy with it, as I have learned to accept that a game's design is entirely out of my control.
Bit late to the Party methinks

QDcIx4F.jpg

Im terrible at Ship combat but good at FPS.
I might actually have a chance to be good at ED.

I'm not a big FPS player - I do like single-player FPS and enjoyed HL:Alyx very much. That said, I'm sure there are developers out there that can do FPS and in particular FPS with VR support better than FDev. I'm pretty convinced that MOST developers would do a better job at space combat that supports VR as well if they were to get into it. FDev's only advantage in that space is that they're the only ones. In the FPS space, they would have competition and I don't think they're up to the challenge given their track record of the past 5 years.

Ha! Have you ever seen the hype train not go ballistic? The forum has already exploded.

Good idea to not expect anything. There's an old saying: Don't worry and you only get hurt once. If you worry you will hurt twice.

:D S

Wow ok thanks for telling me what to do bout it cos i was kinda confused

I wish i was so wise like you
Thanks for taking the time

If I can't upload my consciousness to FDev's servers, I will rage quit and demand a refund or the stuffed fluffy bunny rabbit gets it*.

* this is a joke post, if it doesn't have X feature, I will still play and enjoy the game. I won't be rage quitting, or demanding a refund and no stuffed fluffy bunnies will be harmed.

Dude...we're at 19 months since New Era was announced.

Way, way late to the hype-control point.

I'm not saying we'll reach NMS levels of hypery...but I'm not saying we won't, either.
This could be really, really interesting to study as it progresses.

Deleted member 110222

D
Dude...we're at 19 months since New Era was announced.

Way, way late to the hype-control point.

I'm not saying we'll reach NMS levels of hypery...but I'm not saying we won't, either.
This could be really, really interesting to study as it progresses.
I consider anything speculated before today's announcement as pure rubbish, as there was nothing to base it off. Before today it remained entirely possible that legs were not ever going to happen.

Top Bottom