Ships Would this fit be enough for exploring?

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5D...AwRj4jS6g===.Aw18WQ==?bn=Asp-ExplorationCheap

I know it's not a full A-Rated Scoop or so, but the situation is this.

I already own an Asp actually fitted for trading in this way:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5D...202020124.Iw18WQ==.IwBhrSu7iA==?bn=ASP-Trader

With only a "few" millions I could swap fitting to the exploring fit above.

Some consideration:

I put 3 AFMU class C because it weights 0 tons, and the total or repairs, if I understand well, is more than 2x3A AFMU which costs ten times.
I kept my shield, but I understand I could downgrade the shield to a 3D to have just protection from an accidental bump when coming back to the station.

I put D power plant and D other modules except that, obviously, 5A FSD.

Any *evident* mistake I did with this setup?

Any suggestion appreciated apart from spending 20 millions more for A-fitting everything (I know I can, and I will do somewhere in time, but now I've around 11 mil credits and I don't want to spend all of them).

Thanks!

Small tweaks and you're good to go:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/02A4D...AwRj4jXZbI==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Asp-ExplorationCheap

Only mistake was not going with A-rated power plant (heat efficiency is a must), other tweaks are more or less a matter of taste (protection/ablity to run vs. jump range).

That is interesting, I notice that in case I had to use an AFMU to repair something, I should poweroff also the Power distributor in order to have enough power with a 2A Powerplant...

It requires a good management of power resources, but I like it, it's even way cheaper than mine.
Thanks a lot!

That is interesting, I notice that in case I had to use an AFMU to repair something, I should poweroff also the Power distributor in order to have enough power with a 2A Powerplant...

It requires a good management of power resources, but I like it, it's even way cheaper than mine.
Thanks a lot!
You're welcome! :)

Many explorers fly shields off (if they have any), cargo hatch off and power distributor off (some even sensors off) when not inside the bubble, to keep power usage (which translates to heat) as low as possible.

Also, heat sinks are debated. Some (like me) think them as useless weight skimping your jump range, others say they're a lifesaver and a must, but only in rare occasions (coming out of hyperspace between 2 or more big & hot stars close each other, replace one big star with white dwarf/neutron star/black hole if 'needed').

You're welcome! :)

Many explorers fly shields off (if they have any), cargo hatch off and power distributor off (some even sensors off) when not inside the bubble, to keep power usage (which translates to heat) as low as possible.

Also, heat sinks are debated. Some (like me) think them as useless weight skimping your jump range, others say they're a lifesaver and a must, but only in rare occasions (coming out of hyperspace between 2 or more big & hot stars close each other, replace one big star with white dwarf/neutron star/black hole if 'needed').

Well, I think of HL as a lifesaver insurance because I don't think myself as so skilled AND because I often have some little framerate problem, which means that sometimes even when I try to stop after a jump, I'm not SO quick to stop the ship.

Btw, it's an unrelated question but it bother me a lot... everyone says to press the 0% throttle button during the countdown for a Hyperspace jump, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I can only put 0% only AFTER the jump, when I arrive at the next system. Is another key to be bound for this?

(I'll go with the setup you suggested by few hours, I really like it. And then I'll immediately go out for the CoalSack in order to test my skills before doing the "BIG" jump... I'd like to see, more than the core, the extremities of our galaxy).

Btw, it's an unrelated question but it bother me a lot... everyone says to press the 0% throttle button during the countdown for a Hyperspace jump, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I can only put 0% only AFTER the jump, when I arrive at the next system. Is another key to be bound for this?

Not sure how it works with mouse and KB, but if you're using a HOTAS you can just physically move the throttle to 0 when the countdown begins, when your ship completes the jump it will be at min throttle in SC. Judging by other people's comments though, the 0 throttle keybind should work..

Last edited:
The only thing I didn't follow exactly with that build is the 4D Thrusters, but only because I didn't find on the system I fitted the Asp. Every other part is correct, and since I'm only going out for the Coalsack at the moment, I put only a single Heatsink. Temp in SC at the moment is around 17-19% so I guess it's quite good.

I'm already in love with the ADS Horn :D

By the way, in case you mount multiple heatsinks in the future - only ever have one powered up, because when you press your heatsink hotkey it will fire one from every heatsink you have active at the moment, wasting your ammo (works the same as SCB's, only it makes sense with SCBs, not so much with heatsinks).

Good luck and say hi to Coalsack for me. Been at least a month since I passed that way :)

Last edited:
This is the 'cheap' Asp explorer build I am currently using, and it serves me extremely well. 8.5KLY out on my way to neutron fields at the minute. So I can personally vouch for its effectiveness. I played around a lot with its configuration before I committed to it. At the end of the day it was the best I could afford but it is a good build:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/02A4D...AwRjNco9jyg=.Aw18WQ==?bn=Asp-ExplorationCheap

Turn off everything except thrusters life support power plant fuel scoop FSD and system scanner/detailed surface scanners. Runs your bird cool (65% scoop temp).

Go light on everything you can, it obviously increases jump range, which is important on those long trips. Twin AFMU setup is working very well for me. Light shields for in the bubble, 6C fuel scoop is an excellent piece of kit, save for a 6B, avoid 6A, 23 million is ridiculously expensive.
Docking computer is admittedly a luxury, and one which I would never leave a station without on any exploration venture. You can afford the module space in an Asp and they are priceless at the end of that deep space 4 month trek when the last thing you want to do is crash into a Coriolis station and lose 4 months of cartographic data.

Last edited:
By the way, in case you mount multiple heatsinks in the future - only ever have one powered up, because when you press your heatsink hotkey it will fire one from every heatsink you have active at the moment, wasting your ammo (works the same as SCB's, only it makes sense with SCBs, not so much with heatsinks).

Good luck and say hi to Coalsack for me. Been at least a month since I passed that way :)

I knew about powering up only one module at a time from my bounty hunter Cobra with 2xSCB :)

Coalsack is an awesome view, I watched a couple of systems in the dark region then I decided to move towards the Pleiades. After the Pleiades I'll come back to my home port, and plan the next big trip after a debriefing and a bit of rest :)

Well, here's my ASP explorer. As for the throttle, i use the keyboard and after the counter has started counting (004 and so on...), if you press the 0% throttle keybind at any time (before you arrive at your destination :) ), when you get there, the throttle is indeed set at 0% and the ship actually stops (30.0 km/s).

Ive added a fuel tank to mine, admittedly it does reduce jump range but its been worth it. Most of my short range targets are within my onboard fuel budget. It seems to speed up travel time also, longer scoop-times but much farther in-between. 96t of fuel may seem like allot but its been a luxury.

Honestly ive been considering fitting a type 7, seems like with all the gear it would get 25lys, the weight of the fuel reduces the jumprange less then the Asp. 5lys lost on the asp 35-27, 2lys from the T7 27-25

Last edited:

Honestly ive been considering fitting a type 7, seems like with all the gear it would get 25lys, the weight of the fuel reduces the jumprange less then the Asp. 5lys lost on the asp 35-27, 2lys from the T7 27-25
You need anaconda then... you can have ~350T of fuel with 25Ly jump range :)

Last edited:
Hello,

6C fuel scoop is an excellent piece of kit, save for a 6B, avoid 6A, 23 million is ridiculously expensive.
I agree with you in almost any point you mentioned. But for what do you save the money for the very best Fuel Scoop?
You are out in the nothing and you don't need the cash, so why not using the money to save some time?

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5D...AwRj4jS6g===.Aw18WQ==?bn=Asp-ExplorationCheap

I know it's not a full A-Rated Scoop or so, but the situation is this.

I already own an Asp actually fitted for trading in this way:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5D...202020124.Iw18WQ==.IwBhrSu7iA==?bn=ASP-Trader

With only a "few" millions I could swap fitting to the exploring fit above.

Some consideration:

I put 3 AFMU class C because it weights 0 tons, and the total or repairs, if I understand well, is more than 2x3A AFMU which costs ten times.
I kept my shield, but I understand I could downgrade the shield to a 3D to have just protection from an accidental bump when coming back to the station.

I put D power plant and D other modules except that, obviously, 5A FSD.

Any *evident* mistake I did with this setup?

Any suggestion appreciated apart from spending 20 millions more for A-fitting everything (I know I can, and I will do somewhere in time, but now I've around 11 mil credits and I don't want to spend all of them).

Thanks!

Here is a near optimal exploration build. I just couldn't justify an A rated scoop or A rated AFMUs.
http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=70g,01Q0Wg0Wg,2-3I6u7_6u5K8S8I,52C5GQ0Ke0Ke0Ke2jw2UI

If you are an overly nervous type here is an exploration build with protection and redundancy, yet still jumps over 30 Ly
http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=70g,01Q0Wg0Wg,2-4s8S7_6Q6u8S8I,52C5GQ0Ke0Ke7Q42jw2UI

Last edited:
Top Bottom