Would you aviary fans be down for "non-avian aviary species?"

Most of us who want "aviaries" focus on birds, of course, but we often talk about "aviaries" the functionality and not just "flying birds in the game." Which could allow for non-birds that are too small or slow for habitats but not suited for exhibits. I like the idea that aviaries can be built in many shapes and sizes, but each aviary species has a "perch" item that you put down, flying species being able to glide from perch to perch. Larger flyers needing bigger aviaries so their perches can be spaced out enough and they have room to fly.

That being said, which non-birds would you like to see in them? And how do you think this would effect DLCs going forward?

I'd love to see flying foxes and other bat species, Indian flying squirrels and Chinese flying squirrels, massive snakes, sloths, and marmosets. I can also imagine certain animal packs looking different because of this. Like a "Central America" DLC I always imagined being an example:

Capybara, Coati, Scarlet Ibis, and Howler Monkey for habitat animals
Harpy Eagle, Green Anaconda, Sloth, and a bat species for aviary animals

(Yes I actually can imagine exhibit animals being left out, if aviary species are any easier to make than habitat ones.)

Most of this is not likely and I'm being pretty assumptive here, lol... but what do you guys think?

Last edited:
I can see bats and flying fox without any doubts. I don't know about flying squirrels because I've never seen one and I don't know how they are usually kept.

I want snakes to remain exhibit animals in terrariums where temperature can be easily controlled.

Cats, monkeys, sloths, koalas... can be placed in aviary structures, but I don't think they need a specific DLC for them, they can be added in a normal DLC and the user can decide whether to put them in a normal habitat or an aviary.

Tiny mammals like those tiny monkeys could come as exhibit animals in the terrarium/aviary if we can change the glass panels for mesh panels.

I dont understand what your point is?
If you just want to know if we want bats, sure, but porcupines in an aviary dlc?
No? Why should they?

Aviary structures should be able to hold other smaller animals, yes, they are cages and nettings afterall, but limiting to them would not just be weird, but also simply limiting. Limits suck, so pls no

This was just supposed to be a fun thread, it's not that serious.

Some mammals, like sloths and koalas, spend more time just sleeping in a tree than walking around. Koalas are already pretty weird as habitat animals, because they move around way too much in-game. I can't imagine how weird sloths would look....

I can see bats and flying fox without any doubts. I don't know about flying squirrels because I've never seen one and I don't know how they are usually kept.

I want snakes to remain exhibit animals in terrariums where temperature can be easily controlled.

Cats, monkeys, sloths, koalas... can be placed in aviary structures, but I don't think they need a specific DLC for them, they can be added in a normal DLC and the user can decide whether to put them in a normal habitat or an aviary.

Tiny mammals like those tiny monkeys could come as exhibit animals in the terrarium/aviary if we can change the glass panels for mesh panels.

Good point! The snake would need heat control, so I retract that one.

Most of us who want "aviaries" focus on birds, of course, but we often talk about "aviaries" the functionality and not just "flying birds in the game." Which could allow for non-birds that are too small or slow for habitats but not suited for exhibits. I like the idea that aviaries can be built in many shapes and sizes, but each aviary species has a "perch" item that you put down, flying species being able to glide from perch to perch. Larger flyers needing bigger aviaries so their perches can be spaced out enough and they have room to fly.

That being said, which non-birds would you like to see in them? And how do you think this would effect DLCs going forward?

I'd love to see flying foxes and other bat species, Indian flying squirrels and Chinese flying squirrels, massive snakes, sloths, and marmosets. I can also imagine certain animal packs looking different because of this. Like a "Central America" DLC I always imagined being an example:

Capybara, Coati, Scarlet Ibis, and Howler Monkey for habitat animals
Harpy Eagle, Green Anaconda, Sloth, and a bat species for aviary animals

(Yes I actually can imagine exhibit animals being left out, if aviary species are any easier to make than habitat ones.)

Most of this is not likely and I'm being pretty assumptive here, lol... but what do you guys think?
I'd love the ability to put regular haabiats/habitat animals in aviaries, because it its very realistic, but I don't want non-flying animals to be limited to aviaries. So in aviaries I'd only want birds and bats.

Would definitely love to see Bats and Flying Foxes. Reminds me of the Pollination Exhibition in a Zoo I've visited once, which had really big Flying Foxes together with Banana Plants. Gliding Mammals would definitely be also great

Top Bottom