Engineers Would you buy engineering mats from another player?

Yes I would buy mats from another player if it were available. I get to play about 4 hours a week, I've spent the last week trying to get my two ships upgraded to the highest FSD i can, I still haven't finished, still trudging around the galaxy collecting Wakes and materials. But to get the high jump rates I want it's what I have to do. Bartering with other goods would be OK too.

I pity busy players with limited game time. I'm at the stage in my life where 4hrs per day is par for the course. Mat gathering / Credit runs = a resource time sink for me that does not cut into other activities I want to do. It would be nice if my surplus time could benefit players with limited time. <-That's the root of my proposal.

So, just been consulting with my little brother who is studying economics at Cambridge, so is a definite expert on all space based monetary activity. There is an identity in economics that relates money supply and inflation. It is likely that that the constant increase in the money supply caused by the game would result in inflation in material costs. However an increase in the frequency of in game purchases resulting from this increased ability to earn money could theoretically cancel out or even invert this effect. Also the willingness to pay for resources will be capped as there is the alternative of farming them, so hyperinflation seems impossible as no-one would pay for them beyond a certain point. Lastly the average wealth of people purchasing may decrease as the richest players buy all the resources they want. This would reduce demand and put a downward pressure on the price, counteracting the apparent inherent inflation in the game.

TL;DR Economics is complicated, and always inconclusive. But hyperinflation won't happen.

What if you can just sling mats to players at normal stations for a set game price? None of this your own engineering base. Would you still do it?

I just feel like this is another I want my own base thread disguised by I will be a Engineer and sell stuff to people.

The only way player to player trading will work is if it is a set price. If it was a player set price well then you are getting into player to player money give away to their buddies. I will sell you this focus crystal for 1 billion credits.

It would need to be a Galaxy Mat Trading Exchange tab on the mission board. Put up what you want to sell and people can see it from all over the galaxy. You put how many you want to sell on there of what type and then it takes it out of your inventory. If someone buys it. The money is directly deposited into your account. Done. No Bases, no shady business deals. Simple and clean.

I admit there's an element of base ownership that is very attractive to me, but its not foundational to this. Exchange of credits is also not foundational. As I stated a few posts above, the buyer spends credits in exchange for engineering mats, but the seller gets something else, such as "ENG" points (whatever). A base would be an obvious way to spend these points, but I'm sure there are other uses of points without having a base.

Deleted member 110222

D
You can just go and get the materials yourself you know?

Quite enjoyable if you make the mats' part of the journey, not the destination.

Material Trader that we already have is all you need.

Buying for credits? No, that's lazy, and FD has always said we're meant to work for those sweet sweet upgrades.

Materials are about the biggest equaliser in the game, as you can't just grind data delievery to get them. You have to play the game to get them.

Same as everyone else. Enchanters in ESO don't care if you have millions of gold. They need a Kuta runestone.

Engineers are the ED equivalent to those enchanters. Get grinding, because it's all games. No special treatment just because you have more time. That in itself is your reward for having time. Nothing more.

You can just go and get the materials yourself you know?

Quite enjoyable if you make the mats' part of the journey, not the destination.

Material Trader that we already have is all you need.

Buying for credits? No, that's lazy, and FD has always said we're meant to work for those sweet sweet upgrades.

Materials are about the biggest equaliser in the game, as you can't just grind data delievery to get them. You have to play the game to get them.

Same as everyone else. Enchanters in ESO don't care if you have millions of gold. They need a Kuta runestone.

Engineers are the ED equivalent to those enchanters. Get grinding, because it's all games. No special treatment just because you have more time. That in itself is your reward for having time. Nothing more.

I appreciate that perspective. This is the best argument for the current system. I feel special with my advantage of copious amounts of time and enjoyment of the mat gathering process.

Lestat

Banned
Can we say GOLD, SELLERS? Here why. People from certain countries would just mine for Materials. Then Advertise online and sell it for REAL MONEY to people. Which is not what Elite Dangerous is about.

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
Can we say GOLD, SELLERS? Here why. People from certain countries would just mine for Materials. Then Advertise online and sell it for REAL MONEY to people. Which is not what Elite Dangerous is about.

This here should go without saying.

2 nights ago, with 15 minutes left to be able to play, I went to the Blessed Virgin Farseer to give in my materials in exchange for the last few notches of the cursed wheel to get me my second FSD done. Then I would be rid of Engineers for EVER. HAHAHAHA!!

Turn of the wheel STOPPED WITH ONE LITTLE BIDDY BIT TO GO... ! (1 Data wake thing, a chemical whatsit and that CURSED ARSENIC!). So last night out got the arsenic and tonight Dave's place and a famine system. Deep joy.

If engineere were a core part of the game, like you needed to do it all to get ships, no way would I 'play'.

I think it SHOULD be at least TRIED! 1 month say.

Why would a buyer send a player real money? A buyer visits the seller's base to buy mats with game credits. What is being sold in the real world?

Why would a buyer send a player real money? A buyer visits the seller's base to buy mats with game credits. What is being sold in the real world?

If it was completely player driven market and prices.

Games have been doing that for years. Guild Wars comes to mind first. I had a friend that would farm GW and make 500-1000 a month selling stuff to people.

Lestat

Banned
Maybe you should do your research on other MMO about Gold sellers. Then let talk.

Deleted member 110222

D

They'll offer the mat' for 100cr and five dollars.

It's a dubious service. They offer rewards in game without costing you in-game resources, instead transferring the cost to real currency outside the game.

If it was completely player driven market and prices.

Games have been doing that for years. Guild Wars comes to mind first. I had a friend that would farm GW and make 500-1000 a month selling stuff to people.

I think FDev can easily mitigate this issue. Does the seller have any control over who the buyer is? No. Problem solved.

Lestat

Banned

It's a dubious service. They offer rewards in game without costing you in-game resources, instead transferring the cost to real currency outside the game.

My guess they are starting to use Cryptocurrency to boot.

I think FDev can easily mitigate this issue. Does the seller have any control over who the buyer is? No. Problem solved.
You really are not doing your research, are you? That is why we are pointing it out now. If I had a $1.00 for every person says it can be controlled. I will be living like the top 10 wealthiest people

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D

With respect, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

No, FD cannot control it.

That is why it just shouldn't happen, period.

I pity busy players with limited game time. I'm at the stage in my life where 4hrs per day is par for the course. Mat gathering / Credit runs = a resource time sink for me that does not cut into other activities I want to do. It would be nice if my surplus time could benefit players with limited time. <-That's the root of my proposal.

Limited game time is a real factor for a lot of players.
I can probably do 4-5 hours a week and with current setup that time is easily gobbled up with resource collection.
In short I'm not spending time ingame doing more enjoyable activities.

Fdev has resorted to a rng/grind format which eliminates them from producing meaningful and enjoyable game time.
In turn I am not inclined to line their pockets with my cash to a rather odd game developer anymore.
They can make it look pretty but underneath it's shallow and frankly embarrassing.
Bringing basic MMO features like players trading with each other isn't going to break this title, it will only enhance it.

As was stated earlier in this thread, (1) the price is not set by the player (2) the player does not get the credits, but something else like ENG points to be used on expanding the base (or whatever if there is no base).

Let players create a base in which we can store up and sell engineering materials to other players.

Suggestion

Not so sure its a good idea for the materials to be sold by players, however Modules may be a better option as the materials have already been used to create it so there would be no inflationary value messing with the economy other than the price someone is willing to pay for a piece of equipment. There would have to rules obviously to stop it getting out of hand, a value would need to set for each module and to what level of grade it has been upgraded plus the time and effort the seller has put into upgrading it.

As for buying the materials we already have a similar system in the tech broker where we can swap out what we don't need for what we do need.

Fly safe Cmdr's
o7

Top Bottom