Would you use an exploit in Elite Dangerous?

All depends on the definition of the exploit. The Engineering exploit that people used to get level 5 mods using level 1 mats, the Skimmer and CZ massacre missions were certainly exploit holes that needed to be plugged. Those were obviously bugs that gave people an unfair advantage and they knew it. In those cases, some kind of sanction must be considered.

Its the 'Exploits' where its pretty obvious that the devs have missed the use case but that are still legal that cause a 'grey area'. They're not really bugs, but design oversights. In all these cases, I think that it's OK for them to be used, but if Fdev care about the future of the game, its up to the devs to plug these gaps. Things like the Robigo Run, the Healing Beam or the exploit mentioned by the OP has to be resolved by changing mechanics. I do wonder if the Auto-Target option should be removed from turrets because both the OP's issue and the Healing Beam issue rely on it.

FDev has taught us through their decisions over the last several years that they're not exploits, they're features and will be opened up and made available to all players in the near future.

Haven’t done this since counter strike source, but I loved using aimbots and wall hacks in that game for the lolz. I was much younger back then... I don’t do anything like that anymore. I have partaken in some of the more innocent “unintended” methods for generating a lot of cash, however.

Great, another virtual virtue signaling thread. Nothing is more pure than video game virtue.

I never mined the well known egg. I found my own outside of the bubble before it was ever discovered there. In fact I found a lot of things on my own and I did not consider that to be exploit since I would not relog to do it. I also took advantage of the incredible amount of material that would fall from subsurface mining because that's what the universe was giving. Don't blame me, blame FDGod.

You can bet anywhere there's an imbalance where credits are flowing freely, there will I be. Ignoring it as an entrepreneur would the immersion breaking and I can't have that.

Last edited:
Yes, I will absolutely use an exploit if it gets me past a dull grind; even if this exploit, in itself, is a dull grind.

Re: HGE re-logging exploits
  • Point: Time is limited. By avoiding a grind, I save time, and can maximize playing the Elite Content I enjoy.
  • Point: Most players in the elite community are veterans and already take advantage of exploits, thus becoming overpowered quickly. For a new player to "keep up", they must either follow exploits or make due with being less powerful/able to contribute in CG/Squadron content.
    • Clarification: As a new player, I got ganked in Deciat by an overpowered and engineered federal corvette. Of course, I could've run away, but being a PVPer, I stayed to fight. I died quickly, as I was operating an un-engineered ship. Sure, skill matters, but not to the level that compensates for fighting against a superior/engineered ship.
      • Problem: This fear of being overpowered constantly by veteran players flying engineered ships makes me not want to play in open in populated systems, or participate in CG events in open.
        • Desire: I want to play in open and be able to fight on equal footing when I get interdicted. (Again, I can run away, but I prefer to fight)
        • Current Solution: In order to defend myself, I have to engineer/minmax a ship build. Again, sure, skill matters, but not when you're fighting an engineered federal corvette in your un-engineered asp explorer.
          • What do I need, in order to engineer a ship? Materials.
          • How do I get materials? Grinding materials through a variety of means, often involving travel to systems with particular states.
          • Is the material grind, as it was initially developed, fun? One time: sure. Multiple times: No.
          • Is the material drop rate reasonable? Not really. People can spend hours trying to find tier 5 materials and not be able to find them.
          • Will I want to engineer multiple ships to try multiple builds? Yes.
          • How much materials will I need? Lots.
          • Is there an "exploit" that can get me past this grind, so I can accomplish my desire...which is to be able to fly around and be able to defend myself? Yes.
          • Conclusion: Will I take advantage of an exploit to get me past this material grind? Absolutely.
        • Alternative Solution: Diminish/lower the impact of engineered builds s.t. un-engineered builds at least have a chance to fight against them.
          • Existing player base will be upset for a variety of reasons (some understandable, some not)
Re: AFK credit farming using turreted builds
  • Point: It's not really that difficult to get lots of credits.
    • Players can make enough credits, rather quickly, to afford expensive ships
  • Point: It doesn't feel like a grind to make credits, because credits come through a variety of means; often by means players enjoy.
    • Players can use a variety of means to make credits: Combat, Mining, Trading, CG events, exploration, etc.
  • Point: The amount of credits gained from AFK-ing is only useful for veteran players that own carriers or need vast sums of credits, for whatever reason.
  • Conclusion: As making credits doesn't feel like a grind, and as I don't need a lot of credits to enjoy the game, I'm less inclined to use an exploit involving credits.

Re: Other exploits
  • Question: Will this exploit help me get past a grind and enable me to get to content I think I will enjoy more?
    • Yes? Then I will likely use it.
    • No? Then I don't care and will likely not use it.
  • Question: Does this exploit impact other players (BSG, powerplay, etc.)?
    • Yes?
      • Is it common knowledge and/or are the people I'm competing against using it?
        • Yes? Then I will use it.
        • No? Then I will absolutely not use it.
    • No? Then I might use it.
  • Question: Does this exploit impact ranked play/some sort of competition (beyond BSG/powerplay; think frontier recognized tournaments, professional gameplay, etc.)?
    • Yes? No. I will not use it, even if others around me are.

Re: 3rd party tools (since they were brought up in the broadcast)
  • Point: 3rd party tools like EDDB.io, inara, etc. are not exploits and should not be viewed remotely in the same vein as such.
    • They utilize and consolidate freely (frontier) provided data, making a service to the player base, from which they can make decisions off of.
      • A service that the player base doesn't need to use, if they don't want to.
      • It's still complicated, in a sense that, all because a user is provided with the best sell price for Lavian Brandy, doesn't necessarily mean that the player will automatically go to that station. Consideration for in system distance,# jumps, pad size, supply, etc. must be accounted for.
        • A lot of these details are not provided by in-game tools, or if they are provided in-game, you have to go there first.
    • Is roaming around different systems, docking at all stations, just to see what the best price is for Lavian brandy is, fun?
      • For some? Sure.
      • For me? No.
    • 3rd party tools like the above are commonly used in other games.
    • Frontier has the luxury of making in-game tools whenever they want.
      • It has been mentioned by some in Frontier that they might feel like third-party tools are crutches (in that they must account for them).
        • Point: In a way they are, but these tools also allow for Frontier to focus on other features/development.
        • Point: FDevs should still feel ownership of their game, even with these third party tools adding functionality.
          • Point: All because group/player X creates a 3rd party tool doesn't mean you need to implement the same functionality.
            • That being said, people are using the 3rd party tool for a reason, and it would be advantageous from a game design/ux perspective to understand why.
      • Frontier should always feel like they can develop in-game tools to replace these third party tools.
        • Point: It is on Frontier to make a tool good enough to compete with 3rd party tools. (or not, if they decide to do other things)
        • Point: It is on the 3rd party tool to be competitive to remain relevant.
        • Point: The above mentioned Points regarding competition should be synergistic and lead to better in-game content.
        • Point: I'm sure most players would happily use in game tools, rather than 3rd party tools, should they be provided and be better or at the same level as the 3rd party tools.

Last edited:
Haven’t done this since counter strike source, but I loved using aimbots and wall hacks in that game for the lolz. I was much younger back then... I don’t do anything like that anymore. I have partaken in some of the more innocent “unintended” methods for generating a lot of cash, however.
You monster. hope it was just on pub servers.
Yes, I will absolutely use an exploit if it gets me past a dull grind; even if this exploit, in itself, is a dull grind.

Re: HGE re-logging exploits
  • Point: Time is limited. By avoiding a grind, I save time, and can maximize playing the Elite Content I enjoy.
  • Point: Most players in the elite community are veterans and already take advantage of exploits, thus becoming overpowered quickly. For a new player to "keep up", they must either follow exploits or make due with being less powerful/able to contribute in CG/Squadron content.
    • Clarification: As a new player, I got ganked in Deciat by an overpowered and engineered federal corvette. Of course, I could've run away, but being a PVPer, I stayed to fight. I died quickly, as I was operating an un-engineered ship. Sure, skill matters, but not to the level that compensates for fighting against a superior/engineered ship.
      • Problem: This fear of being overpowered constantly by veteran players flying engineered ships makes me not want to play in open in populated systems, or participate in CG events in open.
        • Desire: I want to play in open and be able to fight on equal footing when I get interdicted. (Again, I can run away, but I prefer to fight)
        • Current Solution: In order to defend myself, I have to engineer/minmax a ship build. Again, sure, skill matters, but not when you're fighting an engineered federal corvette in your un-engineered asp explorer.
          • What do I need, in order to engineer a ship? Materials.
          • How do I get materials? Grinding materials through a variety of means, often involving travel to systems with particular states.
          • Is the material grind, as it was initially developed, fun? One time: sure. Multiple times: No.
          • Is the material drop rate reasonable? Not really. People can spend hours trying to find tier 5 materials and not be able to find them.
          • Will I want to engineer multiple ships to try multiple builds? Yes.
          • How much materials will I need? Lots.
          • Is there an "exploit" that can get me past this grind, so I can accomplish my desire...which is to be able to fly around and be able to defend myself? Yes.
          • Conclusion: Will I take advantage of an exploit to get me past this material grind? Absolutely.
        • Alternative Solution: Diminish/lower the impact of engineered builds s.t. un-engineered builds at least have a chance to fight against them.
          • Existing player base will be upset for a variety of reasons (some understandable, some not)
Re: AFK credit farming using turreted builds
  • Point: It's not really that difficult to get lots of credits.
    • Players can make enough credits, rather quickly, to afford expensive ships
  • Point: It doesn't feel like a grind to make credits, because credits come through a variety of means; often by means players enjoy.
    • Players can use a variety of means to make credits: Combat, Mining, Trading, CG events, exploration, etc.
  • Point: The amount of credits gained from AFK-ing is only useful for veteran players that own carriers or need vast sums of credits, for whatever reason.
  • Conclusion: As making credits doesn't feel like a grind, and as I don't need a lot of credits to enjoy the game, I'm less inclined to use an exploit involving credits.

Re: Other exploits
  • Question: Will this exploit help me get past a grind and enable me to get to content I think I will enjoy more?
    • Yes? Then I will likely use it.
    • No? Then I don't care and will likely not use it.
  • Question: Does this exploit impact other players (BSG, powerplay, etc.)?
    • Yes?
      • Is it common knowledge and/or are the people I'm competing against using it?
        • Yes? Then I will use it.
        • No? Then I will absolutely not use it.
  • Question: Does this exploit impact ranked play/some sort of competition (beyond BSG/powerplay; think frontier recognized tournaments, professional gameplay, etc.)?
    • Yes? No. I will not use it, even if others around me are.

Re: 3rd party tools (since they were brought up in the broadcast)
  • Point: 3rd party tools like EDDB.io, inara, etc. are not exploits and should not be viewed remotely in the same vein as such.
    • They utilize and consolidate freely (frontier) provided data, making a service to the player base, from which they can make decisions off of.
      • A service that the player base doesn't need to use, if they don't want to.
      • It's still complicated, in a sense that, all because a user is provided with the best sell price for Lavian Brandy, doesn't necessarily mean that the player will automatically go to that station. Consideration for in system distance,# jumps, pad size, supply, etc. must be accounted for.
        • A lot of these details are not provided by in-game tools, or if they are provided in-game, you have to go there first.
    • Is roaming around different systems, docking at all stations, just to see what the best price is for Lavian brandy is, fun?
      • For some? Sure.
      • For me? No.
    • 3rd party tools like the above are commonly used in other games.
    • Frontier has the luxury of making in-game tools whenever they want.
      • It has been mentioned by some in Frontier that they might feel like third-party tools are crutches (in that they must account for them).
        • Point: In a way they are, but these tools also allow for Frontier to focus on other features/development.
        • Point: FDevs should still feel ownership of their game, even with these third party tools adding functionality.
          • Point: All because group/player X creates a 3rd party tool doesn't mean you need to implement the same functionality.
            • That being said, people are using the 3rd party tool for a reason, and it would be advantageous from a game design/ux perspective to understand why.
      • Frontier should always feel like they can develop in-game tools to replace these third party tools.
        • Point: It is on Frontier to make a tool good enough to compete with 3rd party tools. (or not, if they decide to do other things)
        • Point: It is on the 3rd party tool to be competitive to remain relevant.
        • Point: The above mentioned Points regarding competition should be synergistic and lead to better in-game content.
        • Point: I'm sure most players would happily use in game tools, rather than 3rd party tools, should they be provided and be better or at the same level as the 3rd party tools.
You monster too. Were you trying to avoid 'wall of text' complaints by making a tetris-fail-tower-of-text ?

You monster too. Were you trying to avoid 'wall of text' complaints by making a tetris-fail-tower-of-text ?
Nope, just wanted to give a legit structured answer to a complex/interesting question. Don't like reading lots of text, feel free to skip.

Last edited:
if I encounter something what is most likely not intended, I do what most terms of service demand - make a bug report and let it be. Using exploits is forbidden by most terms of service by a good reason.

Nope, just wanted to give a legit structured answer to a complex/interesting question. Don't like reading lots of text, feel free to skip.
maybe you want to structure your text in a way that doesnt provoke a negative physical response in the reader.

Besides, most of it is 'I want to PvP so I got to minmax if everyone else is'. Maybe turn it into 2 sentences so people dont need to just get the different meanings & consequences of that.

The rest is more interesting though. Squadrons introduced a way to communicate with other players that is far worse than long existing third party apps.

They didnt need to waste dev time on creating a clunky interface within the game. Does it enhance the game and provide a gateway/substitute for better apps elsewhere?

yeah, some people have really got into it, and you can run it all from scratch within the game with less experience than required in any other way.

Was it worth that precious dev-time when so many things need fixing & reworking?
Surely not.

Thats a tl;dr reply for you. it coulda been a wall of text, or worse it couldve been indent-right to provoke a gag-reflex on first sight.

I may try that on Robert Maynard some time, so thanks for the forum-pvp tactic, at least. ;)

maybe you want to structure your text in a way that doesnt provoke a negative physical response in the reader.
Besides, most of it is 'I want to PvP so I got to minmax if everyone else is'. Maybe turn it into 2 sentences so people dont need to just get the different meanings & consequences of that.
Thats a tl;dr reply for you. it coulda been a wall of text, or worse it couldve been indent-right to provoke a gag-reflex on first sight.

I may try that on Robert Maynard some time, so thanks for the forum-pvp tactic, at least. ;)

Yeah, you showed me. I will absolutely do what you say. Absolutely. Thanks for the sage forum writing advice, forum wizard.

Last edited:
Depends on where we draw the line at exploit. I did do LTD mining at new Borann, but I refused to do the egg.

The prices for LTDs, and the ease of blasting them with sdms, seemed silly enough to count as an exploit even without the egg, so I can imagine some people thinking of it that way.
Well, the egg isn't even that good, when simple platinum/painite laser mining earns similar amounts....

Top Bottom