X Rebirth VR edition

I got a chance to try it for a short while yesterday, and I am sure that I'm switching to HOTAS, re-mapping and doing the tutorial again :) While steering via trackpad or gestures as in Touch's case may seem ok at first, things really go haywire when you need to fight :D Old habits kick in and all that. Rewiring my brain to those mappings isn't worth it, I'd rather rewire controls to HOTAS + pedals ;-)

That said I like what I see so far.

EDIT: Motion controls are awesome. It's totally worth to rewire. This was written before they added rotation on the vive wands. Now it functions perfectly.

Last edited:
EDIT: SORRY I AM A DOOFUS. Not Touch support but native VR support which is different thing actually.

Mad Mike (and the rest of you Oculus friends) will be pleased to see they added touch native vr support on Steam! :)

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=395714&sid=e11e69199bf7d29e19d3220f0c012070

PS: small caveat: - [Oculus] Added native Oculus VR support on Steam (requires Win 8 or higher).

Hi, thanks for your reply
yep i knew the HMD was supported, but it is specifically the touch implementation i am interested in. (i may not use it, but i want to try it at least)

edit i take that back, it seems touch IS workin

- [Oculus] Made gesture steering button mappable in Controls menu.

thanks again

Last edited:
As someone who was burned badly by X:R, and was the nail in the coffin for me as far as pre-orders are concerned, Egosoft couldn't pay me to beta test the VR version, let alone expect me to pay full price for the game again with some VR fluff strapped on top of it. And as far as it being a new engine, I looked at some screenshots in the Egosoft newsletter and I was not impressed at all. New engine? Doesn't look any better than the last one.

I will also be waiting for X4. But will never, ever pre-order from Egosoft again. That bridge is well and truly burned. I won't hand over a penny until I have seen some footage from some independent who's opinion I trust.

Consider this - is it worth holding a grudge for three years now? X: R has supposedly improved considerably and the 4.0 version plus home of light dlc was rumored to be pretty good. Also, everyone who pre-ordered or bought early has been given the teladi outpost dlc for free. What else should they do, make a pilgrimage to whatever sacred place you hold dear? And that "VR flufff" as you call it does make helluva difference in my opinion. It's your right to be still salty, I just find that... weird that you care so much after three years :)

In other news,my Oculus friend is very impressed with Touch flying. And he is Elite vet.

Oh, i like this VR Edition, if only i had time to learn it. And currently its so hot in my mancave that i cant bare the thought of putting Vive in my head. :D

They added gesture controls to Vive... oh boy.

I HEREBY RETRACT THE RUBBISH I SAID ABOUT MOTION CONTROLLERS MAKING NO SENSE IN E: D VR!
(there I said it out loud).

After a moment of total awkwardness, steering the ship via hand gestures feels sooo natural and rewarding in itself. Using only trackpads was a nuisance, using gestures and trackpads is pure bliss. I can manoeuvrer between station installations with ease just using one hand. I envy oculus bros a bit, because your controllers are better shaped to the task, and also have analogue sticks instead of trackpads. This mode of flying requires some getting used to, but almost no "rewiring of your brain" like new set of HOTAS controls :)

Yes the trackpads are not perfectly suited to this task, but it's still fun :)

Consider this - is it worth holding a grudge for three years now?
It depends on what you mean by grudge. We were flat out lied to, or at least I feel I was lied to regarding what the game would actually be, the game was a shambles and I feel no desire to go back to it. I wanted X4 and that's not what I got. If it was there would be no announcement for the release of X4.

So again, I wouldn't say its a grudge. Just a judgement call on a company that I no longer trust.

Last edited:
It depends on what you mean by grudge. We were flat out lied to, or at least I feel I was lied to regarding what the game would actually be, the game was a shambles and I feel no desire to go back to it. I wanted X4 and that's not what I got. If it was there would be no announcement for the release of X4.

So again, I wouldn't say its a grudge. Just a judgement call on a company that I no longer trust.
I preordered X: R too, but wasn't as badly burned because I had little experience with previous X3 games - actually to tell you the truth I didn't have problems with X:R on release except the inability to bind both pedals and joystick (like I was used to from E: D or some other flying game). I've never finished the campaign due to IRL reasons, and never returned because internet kept emptying the cesspit over that game over and over again. In fact it was NMS fiasco on a smaller scale, only I didn't see egosoft devs promising moonshots like Murray did. Sure, the game had its quirks probably stemming from the fact that it probably was meant to be a console release during the first part of the development, had "gamey" mechanisms like "slipstreams in superhighways" and whatnot, but in the end it was ok.

Maybe the fact that I was not on the hype train surrounding its release affected my view on this game. I was hyped for graphics I saw in trailers at that time, and that was delivered. And from what I read, Egosoft had a history with rocky releases but Rebirth was the largest. To their credit, they didn't scrap it completely and now I hear it is a pretty decent game which I may try after I get bored with the VR version.

Back to XR VR, it's out, as an Early Access, at a reduced price. There is probably lots of reviews on YT by now, however adding gesture controls for the vive changed much so I'd wait a bit until people review that one. For example somebody linked a review (was it in this thread?) where somebody was complaining that he cannot physically interact with the ship and has a "laser pointer" instead. Which may be a valid immersion-breaking reason for some, for me it isn't. What I don't like are the negative reviews of VR version based on non-vr version and people's burned egos ;-)

What I don't like are the negative reviews of VR version based on non-vr version and people's burned egos ;-)
Yeah, that bit is almost certainly true, and for me its kind of a guilt by association thing. ;)

But if all they have done is add VR support then the underlying game is just as likely to be janky and broken as the original. Do you remember those warp tunnel things where you joined with other ships and could tailgate behind them to go faster. Utter drivel. I heard they got rid of that though but I doubt this game will be a complete redesign, just a nip tuck. The other thing that led me was the huge stations that had the little POI things that you needed to hunt down to trade with. I remember mods coming out that fixed some of those design "flaws" but again I wonder what Egosoft have done by themselves.

I don't care enough to try myself but will certainly watch some YT footage of others giving it a bash. I really hope Mack does a Worthabuy on this one. In fact I would buy it for him just to do that. :D

I'm 3 hours into it and still haven't got it even close to being configured.
Rift, Touch, X55 and an Xbone Controller versus 3 levels of hugely clicky and many paged UI means I am still within a few meters of the game start point and I'm still nowhere near happy with the control scheme. To the point I'm losing any will I had to play it.
I don't like the gesture controlled flight mode, not my cup of tea.
My Touch pointer seems to have an erection so the pointer is sort of like a sword with a semi on. And if I put the Touch controls down the game makes the laser pointer come out of the centre of my forehead.

I was expecting some setup time for sure but man this takes the biscuit.

From the tiny amount I have flow about it does look promising tho. Certainly different from ED.
The flight models seems ok so far (6dof with Flight Assist On/Off)

Thankfully one of the things they "trimmed" out for the VR edition is the Platform (1st person space legs) as WASD like FPS in VR is puke city.

I'm gonna persevere for a bit but it needs polish to help the UI elements in VR as it seems hugely KB/Mouse oriented with Gesture/HOTAS still a bit WIP.

I'm 3 hours into it and still haven't got it even close to being configured.
Rift, Touch, X55 and an Xbone Controller versus 3 levels of hugely clicky and many paged UI means I am still within a few meters of the game start point and I'm still nowhere near happy with the control scheme. To the point I'm losing any will I had to play it.
I don't like the gesture controlled flight mode, not my cup of tea.
My Touch pointer seems to have an erection so the pointer is sort of like a sword with a semi on. And if I put the Touch controls down the game makes the laser pointer come out of the centre of my forehead.

From the tiny amount I have flow about it does look promising tho. Certainly different from ED.
The flight models seems ok so far (6dof with Flight Assist On/Off)

Thankfully one of the things they "trimmed" out for the VR edition is the Platform (1st person space legs) as WASD like FPS in VR is puke city.

I'm gonna persevere for a bit but it needs polish to help the UI elements in VR as it seems hugely KB/Mouse oriented with Gesture/HOTAS still a bit WIP.

I can only reiterate what I said earlier - gesture controls using wive wands after being a shock felt like second skin after a while. I went full 180 from "no way that is strange, I love my hotas, I will never use this..." [something whirrrrred and clicked in my brain] to "heeey... this is actually not that bad... no, really... it is... oh man this is ENJOYABLE! I will never plug in my HOTAS again! I wish ED had that sort of controls!". I heard Rift Touch is even better suited to the task than the vive wands considering hand position and capacitive interfaces. Will try it when my friend gets his paws on Rift which he ordered during the sale... Anyhow this was like a revelation for me, sure took some getting used too but is IMHO and for me way better than traditional HOTAS. YMMV.
Like this reviewer (http://steamcommunity.com/app/570420/discussions/0/1471967615879965620/) on steam said "for the first 5 minutes you curse the controls, then comes an "AHA!" moment, and then you don't want to use anything else".
Video is in german but you can observe how this works from 3:53.

[video=youtube_share;FFTRBGwPUnc]https://youtu.be/FFTRBGwPUnc?t=3m53s[/video]
If however you won't be able to rewire yourself to new controls, you can simply turn off the controllers before running the game. That should fix the "laser forehead".

The UI, 90% of things you do from the two quick access radial menus, and for the rest you have main menu. It is surely different from E: D but that's the way the X: series ever was. It was best flown by mouse + keyboard until they did the motion controls.

Puke city - it differs wildly from person to person in general. Also it changes with time - you can get accustomed to it. At the beginning even lifting off from the pad in coriolis in ED gave me an uneasy feeling, now I can dogfight over planet surface and drive the SRV like crazy, or use full locomotion in Alien Isolation recently launched vive mod. In X:R VR they now reduced the camera turn speed, I find it easier to play with a svivel chair tho and use my head to turn.

I'd advise to try flying the ship with the touch controls once again. Last I checked there was a bug in flight school which prevented the tutorial from advancing just at the start but it had an easy workaround. Probably patched by now.

Last edited:
Got the Egosoft newsletter recently, and they mention that X-Rebirth VR edition is nearing exit from Early Access. This means price hike, so if anybody is on the verge of buying, then consider yourself warned :)

X Rebirth VR Edition - End of EA

Final Release coming up

With this new 4.21 update, we are not far from a version of X Rebirth VR Edition that we can release from Early Access.

Our plan is to take this step with the next big update, 4.30.
As you probably know by now, Egosoft always continues development of our games for a long time also after release, so don't worry, 4.30 is not the end of the line, but we feel it is a very solid game and a great experience in VR, so is a good point to end Early Access.

X Rebirth in VR? I remember what a HORRIBLE game that was when it came out. Absolute disgrace to X series, and all of the space genre. I've heard they've fixed some of the bugs and stuff, but that thing is flawed to it's core.
If you'd ask me - just pass it, and forget that it exists.

This.

Flying through Tubes In Space, police ships that look like Black and Whites, complete with Sirens.

Npc's that look like extras from The Walking Dead and talk like Wayne's World rejects. Not!

One flyable ship only - The Albion Skunk and no, you cannot rename it.

Truly awful game.

Disclaimer: I don't work at EGOSoft, it just pains me to still see the opinions like "it was horrrrrrrrrible at release, surely there is no reason to play it now!" while the developers work continuously to improve the game.

TL; DR: If a "generic preorder owner" still holds a "grudge" (egosoft are liars, I was deceived, I won't try it again), please reconsider, you're missing out.

This.

Flying through Tubes In Space, police ships that look like Black and Whites, complete with Sirens.

Npc's that look like extras from The Walking Dead and talk like Wayne's World rejects. Not!

One flyable ship only - The Albion Skunk and no, you cannot rename it.

Truly awful game.

Yeah, that was in 2013. Is it possible the game has improved since having continuous post release support as all Egosoft games? Yes. You still can fly only the skunk (this is a design decision), npcs probably are still ugly and you still have hyperspace highways (which are still more interesting than our "gawk at supercruise timer for the next 5 minutes if you ask me), but somehow people who tried X:Rebirth again are liking what they saw.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XRebirth/comments/4dravo/so_you_want_to_try_x_rebirth_again_40_review/

Even our own Sleutelboss likes it: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...th-revisited?p=4448433&viewfull=1#post4448433
biggrin.png

Also with the Home of Light DLC and 4.0 release, things are said to have improved considerably, and it has a "very positive" reviews on Steam:

[video=youtube;hySENB0kQzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hySENB0kQzw[/video]

And here's developer's own take on what has changed between 2013-2017:
[video=youtube;D1KnESEaz-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1KnESEaz-8[/video]

Sorry for the necro, but I'm just wondering what people think of this game in 2020. It's on sale for $16 USD. It looks like the other X-games are also on sale. I've not played any of them. Is this or any of the others worth getting? Is there one you recommend over another? Of course I'm interested in VR, but I'm also interested in 2D titles as well.

Tried again Ducky (sorry, Emery fan, cant help it), it bloody crap, pointless and totally bloody wasted a few days of my life lookin for a reason to continue. Better off not bothering mate.Put Brass Eye on 'more four' first episode, weasel fighting looks better.

Top Bottom