Game Discussions X4 this looks Very good

@jasonbarron you meant this one?

ed42789b4b4564925b760874f42e05525ceac9d1.jpg

Definitely not mine (as much as I'd like to 😅 ), I searched for them from the marketplace but couldn't find any reference to authors, no idea where you could have seen my name pop up. The only place where you can find my old pics is in the Images gallery for X3 TC.

720940B53499B9CF75EA0AFC53EE26516A7CCC8C

3B5A819D920AAF8143C1CE0F2F1A050A145C2F69

9826CCEBC5C11AFDD43A83144EA835B5DAB0681D

C43FDDA8C9CE563B0D0CE1EA6FC1CBCC07576F0A

D3B815E88B1C7CB0CA3F776787DA83C55E53217B

9FFAFE05D2F5B0FC4A774BF8DF3CD3E11069FED4

@jasonbarron you meant this one?

ed42789b4b4564925b760874f42e05525ceac9d1.jpg

Definitely not mine (as much as I'd like to 😅 ), I searched for them from the marketplace but couldn't find any reference to authors, no idea where you could have seen my name pop up. The only place where you can find my old pics is in the Images gallery for X3 TC.

720940B53499B9CF75EA0AFC53EE26516A7CCC8C

3B5A819D920AAF8143C1CE0F2F1A050A145C2F69

9826CCEBC5C11AFDD43A83144EA835B5DAB0681D

C43FDDA8C9CE563B0D0CE1EA6FC1CBCC07576F0A

D3B815E88B1C7CB0CA3F776787DA83C55E53217B

9FFAFE05D2F5B0FC4A774BF8DF3CD3E11069FED4
Yep, that's the one on top there. It's been a few years, perhaps I'm just mis-remembering

Is the new game experience still defined by scouring asteroids for those blinking gemstones? I haven't played in a long time but that's how it was a year ago and the ease of obtaining a small fortune early on in the game kind of ruined those early stages.
I see no one answered that question yet. Yes, it`s still the same, I´m on v 2.60 though. I would say it really help you getting started but for the big, big money you want to do other things. I mean some productions modules for the own stations cost around two-digit or three-digit millions.

Sorry, totally missed that, but yes exactly as E@gleEye wrote. Gemstones mining looks like a big thing, and indeed it is to buy your first ships and equipment with little to no effort...then you check the prices for blueprints and actual construction of some modules and...

@jasonbarron reply about X4 in another thread reminded me of a possibly interesting video I could have posted here more than a month ago, but totally forgot about. 😶

It's a videolog from late January where Egosoft's CEO talks about the intricacies of working on an X game and what's their approach to the economic and universe simulation (and also why it usually turns out un unbalanced mess requiring months and months and months of iterative tweaking).

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP7nuWGEbNA

Also a few days ago they made a in-house livestream with the German streamer "Writing Bull" talking about the game in general and the upcoming DLC, also showing some new footage of it in the meantime. Two hours video and only in German, don't say I didn't warn you. 😛

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ8V94nYcbQ

Ok, so now it's official. :)
Cheers, mate. I installed and faffed around with subzero effort nor setting up keybinds, but I'll look into it with the DLC. Sector felt quite large. I don't think I understood the scanner thing.

I see that X games are for sale on Steam. I have two currently in my wishlist, X Rebirth VR edition and X3 Terrain Conflict. I've never played an X game before, but from what little I've seen about these, they look games I could enjoy. Perhaps X4 is also for sale now as well. If it is, should I just skip X3 and go to X4*, or does each offer its own separate content (kinda like TR or Uncharted)? Also, what are people's opinion about the VR edition? I do love my VR!

Anything you can tell me about this series would be helpful. I'm very much an X-Noob!

* UPDATE - X3 is way cheaper than X4 right now, so I'm leaning on getting X3 as my intro to this franchise.

Last edited:
Eh, that's a proper 1 billion £/€/$ question!

The theme is the same (first person action/trading simulation/fleets and properties management), but they are quite different titles from each other, especially Rebirth. I'm sure that's a question already asked and already answered more than once over the last 72 pages, but since they are 72 pages indeed, a TL;DR:

- X3 (Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude): oldest of the bunch (first released almost 15 years ago!), still considered the gold standard of sandbox space games and the pinnacle of X by many. Overwhelming quantity of ships, weapons, sectors, features added over the years. Interface and learning curve are hard as nails, but the fact the game still holds out well today in almost every aspect (even visuals!) is telling.

- X4: a definitely more modern package, a mix of X3 features with what worked of X Rebirth. Every ship flyable as in X3, modular damage on capships and spacelegs as in Rebirth, station management and economy simulation vastly superior to both, and for the first time in a X title an actual 3D map from where it's possible to select units and give many orders like in a proper RTS game. Still more limited in content compared to X3, even with the latest DLC. Interface is also vastly improved in usability, but everything is still hard as nails and a far cry from visually appealing. Also, bugs will probably be ironed out for years to come. An almost two years old X game is usually still in its infancy. 😅

- X Rebirth VR: an offspring of Rebirth which was an offspring of the classic X games, universally panned by everyone and their dog, but after its latest updates a very solid game even with its reduced set of features compared to X3 (still a good bunch of very questionable gameplay and QoL decisions though). Total smoking crap for everyone not coping with its single flyable ship or it not being "X3, but with more". The VR is a slimmer version of Rebirth (less station and ships flying around, somewhat simplified economy), but it's VR, and the Albion Skunk in VR must look awesome. Of notable mention, a very strong artistic direction compared to X3 and X4, some great looking capital ships, probably still the best capship battles to be seen in any X game so far, from a visual point of view.

Hard to suggest one @Old Duck , if in complete doubt I'd say "go for the cheapest, better to cry over 5 £ than over 50£", but of course even with its massive content and features set, it won't be as smooth or fancy to play as the latest. There's also the lore side of things, X3 comes decades before X4, but lore anyway is so stretched thin that it shouldn't really be a factor in the decision.

And in some unrelated curiosity, while over here we debate about the future carriers, the latest DLC just added this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/comments/fskvh6 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/comments/fskvh6/this_new_split_ship_is_amazing/

And no upkeep costs! :p

Last edited:
Can't help with which to get, I owned the very first and maybe 2nd games, cant really remember them well, I bought X4 last year but couldnt get into it - the menus are almost Derek Smart-ish, if you know what I mean.

Downloaded the 3.0 update, will give it another go. But to be fair I'm currently enjoying doing some passenger runs in Elite, so not sure how much time I'll put in soon.

I see that X games are for sale on Steam. I have two currently in my wishlist, X Rebirth VR edition and X3 Terrain Conflict. I've never played an X game before, but from what little I've seen about these, they look games I could enjoy. Perhaps X4 is also for sale now as well. If it is, should I just skip X3 and go to X4*, or does each offer its own separate content (kinda like TR or Uncharted)? Also, what are people's opinion about the VR edition? I do love my VR!

Anything you can tell me about this series would be helpful. I'm very much an X-Noob!

* UPDATE - X3 is way cheaper than X4 right now, so I'm leaning on getting X3 as my intro to this franchise.
I'm soon gonna try out X4 which appears quite different to the old (X1-X3) games. Larger sectors, legs. Yet another UI. Of the old ones I can only recommend X3 Terran Conflict. It was the crown of the 3 games. Get the Terran conflict!
Not saying X4 is worse - I just haven't played it - but I'm looking forward to it. Btw, you can jump through a stargate in your spacesuit in X4.

You can't really go wrong with Terran Conflict. Albion Prelude has even more stuff added, but to the point of maybe even feeling a bit bloated, and has less of a focus on plots and sub-plots.

In my opinion, X3 has still the very best low orbit sectors of any game, the fixed stars and nebulae skybox show its age, but the planets (actual 3d you can travel to, but put so far as to be impractical and actually pointless) are incredibly nice even in 2020. Not even X4 comes close.

Top Bottom