Game Discussions X4 this looks Very good

Well I have hit a weird roadblock or bug. Everyone of my stations and their assigned traders have stopped doing anything. No trading, no getting needed resources, nothing. The all just sit there searching for trades. I have tried everything: re-assigning station managers, re-assigning traders to station. Turning off/ deleting any trade rules or restrictions. Setting sell prices at lowest and buy prices at highest. Nothing works.

I play with mods obviously but I have neither added new ones or updated old ones. Station resources zero, medical and food zero, population for stations dropping to zero. I am at a loss
Does you station have cash. They alway need cash to transact. Even among yourself.

The only major trick is the depth of field effect (especially in portraits) via Nvidia Ansel (proprietary reshade, basically). Tiny bits of color grading here and there and some vignetting might add a bit of flavour from time of time, but they won't turn a crappy image into a good one. The "secret" is just cranking up the resolution to 4K when I find the photo-op, the rest is down to playing the camera just right. ;)

Plenty of cash. Gave each one of my 6 stations 100 mil to test. No change.

It is bizarre, my 5th playthrough with a lot of stations never had this isssue or at least one that persistw this long.
Yeah, sometimes it weirds out. Maybe some transport got stuck with conflicting orders. My ore miners broke down at some point and had mixed inventories they couldn't clear. I turned to set the station manager to auto all the trades and that set most stuff on track again after I had fiddled with prices, storage space and blacklists. Thing is, the manager will set the price according to need and that works out for the most part. Even for the mining fleet.

Yeah, sometimes it weirds out. Maybe some transport got stuck with conflicting orders. My ore miners broke down at some point and had mixed inventories they couldn't clear. I turned to set the station manager to auto all the trades and that set most stuff on track again after I had fiddled with prices, storage space and blacklists. Thing is, the manager will set the price according to need and that works out for the most part. Even for the mining fleet.
Did a full check on each assigned station trader (which was a lot between all my different stations). Mining ships working normally.
QWhen the station manager is assigned a "trader" it sets them to auto trade to the needed goods for the station. Adding or removing items based on need/demands.
Many of my station traders seem to be assigned to trade for a single good that my station already naturally produces. Despite my food and medical goods being 0/30k needed. So it seems to be a station manager issue.

Removing all traders and re assigning them seems fix the resource gathering for production. They however refuse to buy goods needed for station population food/medicine. Despite that fact I have a dedicated food and meds stations overflowing with goods next door.

The only major trick is the depth of field effect (especially in portraits) via Nvidia Ansel (proprietary reshade, basically). Tiny bits of color grading here and there and some vignetting might add a bit of flavour from time of time, but they won't turn a crappy image into a good one. The "secret" is just cranking up the resolution to 4K when I find the photo-op, the rest is down to playing the camera just right. ;)
You should post those images over on the official X4 thread:

;)

I have not read other forums here so I did not know of the things discussed in the above linked thread ^^ (Lost all hope). Amazing. I guess I'll need to contemplate whether to uninstall ED now. I thought I'd leave ED alone for a while but I hate having games on my computer I don't play.
My other post here:
... was an uninformed rant based on my personal thoughts since ED launch. GL HF

Edit: Wow, I just skimmed all 15 pages of that thread. I heard Odyssey was a mess but ... Oh well. Have a nice day

) oh, and I like pineapple on pizza with canadian bacon (

Last edited:
oh, and I like pineapple on pizza with canadian bacon (

I hate you with a passion and I'm going to personally hunt you, find you, and bring you in a real pizzeria to pay you an actual pizza napoletana, with tomato sauce, mozzarella (buffalo mozzarella), basil and olive oil. I might go as far as pay even two beers as well. It may sound brutal, but such deviances are to be treated with extreme prejudice.

Deleted member 182079

D
So here I am :p

Very quick question (hopefully) - I've played through the very first tutorial (Flight School), but my trainer just left me in his (?) ship to my own devices.

How do the New Game options work? Are the tutorials blending into the main game i.e. can I just take off and do what I want or are they closed sections that I eventually complete?

Presumably the non-tutorial options offer different starting points/ships (based on the summary they provide)?

I don't really feel I want to go through the rest of the tutorials, or perhaps play them later if I get stuck... should I start a new game or what's the best option here?

Deleted member 182079

D
The flight school is the only completely independent tutorial as far as I remember, the others you can do while you play your game (you'll also get pop up reminders from time to time), they don't disrupt your game anyway.
I see - looking at it again now (got the collector edition so all DLCs) any particular option to recommend? Am a complete and utter noob when it comes to X4 and lore... otherwise might just pick whatever sounds most intriguing in the description.

EDIT - actually just came across a guide, never mind I think I figured it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate you with a passion and I'm going to personally hunt you, find you, and bring you in a real pizzeria to pay you an actual pizza napoletana, with tomato sauce, mozzarella (buffalo mozzarella), basil and olive oil. I might go as far as pay even two beers as well. It may sound brutal, but such deviances are to be treated with extreme prejudice.

OK, I like all those things you described too. My pinny/bacon pizza experiences are from the late 70's after ball games, it was a craze back then for a while and I liked it. SO, sorry.
Yesterday I had BBQ chick pizza, cheese pizza, supreme calzone (basil,onions, pepperoni, peppers, mozz, ricotta, etc etc etc.), and toasted ravioli with some marvelous marinara. Cannelloni will be in my next order. hehehe

I see - looking at it again now (got the collector edition so all DLCs) any particular option to recommend? Am a complete and utter noob when it comes to X4 and lore... otherwise might just pick whatever sounds most intriguing in the description.

EDIT - actually just came across a guide, never mind I think I figured it out.

Starting as a complete noob to the game, I might suggest the "Young Gun" start, you can see it as sort of a "default gamestart", giving you a human background and almost immediate access to the chain of missions leading you to owning the HQ (more on that later, eventually). The Paranid one and the Untested Explorer are already a tiny bit more specific in the required starting knowledge of the game (not that much honestly, it's a massively intimidating learning curve no matter the start 😅).

If you plan on starting as a "real" Terran and prefer to have a bit more plot to guide you instead of going full sandbox from the start (and also have a more refined and articulated plot compared to the very basic original ones), the Terran Cadet start is massively recommended. Also, you'll start in the Solar System and there's plenty of nice sightseeing of the new sectors, stations and ships to be had there.

My Father's Day present arrived, and I now have it up and running, finally.

Alienware R10 AMD Ryzen 7 5800 (max boost 4.6)
128 GB of DDR4 XMP @ 3200MHz
AMD RX6800 XT 16GB GDDR6
512GB flash boot drive (C)
2TB Game HDD
2TB Music/Movie Hdd
Alienware 34" ultra wide 3440x1440 monitor
And my old TrackIR. :)

(The HDDs, monitor, and TrackIR are saves from my old Area-51)

I've given up, (maybe permanently, we'll see), on Oddity and even Horizons for now.

So today I fired up X4 and loaded my saved game. Oh crap! I've forgotten how to play this game. I have ships everywhere (mostly miners, some traders) a station or two somewhere, and no idea what to do! o_O I think this is going to take a while.

And then I need to check out this new Terran stuff. If I get that far. It's all good! (y)

Last edited:
My Father's Day present arrived, and I now have it up and running, finally.

Alienware R10 AMD Ryzen 7 5800 (max boost 4.6)
128 GB of DDR4 XMP @ 3200MHz
AMD RX6800 XT 16GB GDDR6
512GB flash boot drive (C:)
2TB Game HDD
2TB Music/Movie Hdd
Alienware 34" ultra wide 3440x1440 monitor
And my old TrackIR. :)

I've given up, for now (maybe permanently), on Oddity and even Horizons.

So today I fired up X4 and loaded my saved game. Oh crap! I've forgotten how to play this game. I have ships everywhere (mostly miners, some traders) a station or two somewhere, and no idea what to do! o_O I think this is going to take a while.

And then I need to check out this new Terran stuff. If I get that far. It's all good! (y)
I backed up my save and started all over :)
I play X since the first installment and still can't memorize the controls over extended periods of not playing...

I backed up my save and started all over :)
I play X since the first installment and still can't memorize the controls over extended periods of not playing...
I can understand why!

My first experience with the X series was when 4 came out. So I'm a real noob at this. Once I discovered the 'F/A' off feature I really started digging this game. This new release, and the screwup of the Oddity release, has brought me back. Gonna stay and play for a while.

Last edited:
A few months back when I did a little testing of the beta of Farnham's Legacy, as soon as I loaded a new game after not having played an X3 for the last 8-9 years, I immediately started flying around, thinking about how I had to relearn everything from scratch....right until I noticed I was indeed already flying around, checking the map, my (not existing) assets, my ship's cargo and weapons, the flight commands list...using all the shortcuts I instinctively remembered, but I didn't know I remembered. That's muscle memory for you.

Yeah, I think bacon is massively overrated too. And pineapple is much better with cooked ham.

Top Bottom