Hardware & Technical X56 Hotas (grey) question

My old x55 (green) died and I am looking for a replacement.

Was thinking about the new X56 grey version but I am not sure how much the quality improved, if improved at all.
I know about the wire break problem with the green and blue version, also know the drift problem.

My question to all who have the grey version:
Has it improved somehow? Especially the wire quality?

Also Warthog could be a "take it or die" option because I do not really have room for pedals.

I was thinking about getting X56 but reviews said it had problems. I waited, Logitech improved design and put grey version. Reviews are still mixed. This is why I picked X52. Not much of a help, I know. But it shows certain way. I picked reliable product despite wanting new release. If it had no quality issues it would be quite different talk.

I'm running the X56 out of the new Logitech blue box.

I've had no issues with the stick, but I kept my old Thrustmaster FCS throttle because I really like the thruster control on the index finger. The thumb stick on the X56 doesn't work for me at all.

The X56 curves software is really easy to use, you can change out to whatever spring you want (I went with the strongest), and the control cluster on the thumb of the stick is better than the previous sticks I've used

My old Saitek X-55 gave up the ghost after 2 years hard usage, with buttons failing on the throttle, then the throttle failing at each end of the quadrants, with chafed and broken wiring (2 weeks ago).

Took delivery of a new grey Logitech X-56 HOTAS directly from the Logitech online shop (Europe), list price £230.00. When I noticed that there was a box in the shopping basket for a discount coupon, I went googling for discount codes, and after about 20 minutes of trying various different ones, I managed to get the price discounted down to £175.00.

As I didn't want to use the Z-axis this time (rudder), I splashed out and went for the Logitech Flight Rudder Pedals, list price £129.95. With a discount coupon, I got the price down to £103.00. My other reason for doing that is that I want to get better when flying in DCS World and IL-2 Sturmovik.

After setting them both up, with a Logitech supplied Elite Dangerous profile, they work perfectly, with the stick's Z-axis now redundant. You don't have to do that, it's just my personal choice.

I by now am on the grey version. Anything before that broke, i had several returns during the warranty time. Some pieces even were broken right out of the box. The grey one i now have since a few months. No issues yet. But that's not long enough to come to a final verdict.

My X55 died the other day after many hours of hard flying. The twist to yaw snapped during use. I’ve been looking at VKB but I don’t know enough about them at the moment so went for an X56. The thought process being I’ll gen up on VKB products, work out what I want and get one as my next stick and marry it with the Saitek throttle - which I really like.

I’ve heard so many horror stories but consider myself, so far, lucky with the life of the X55 and hopefully for the X56. The analog sticks on the throttle and stick work brilliantly for me as thruster inputs and free up the hat I was previously using.

Glad to hear the Saitek profile works well, I’ll be using the IL2 Sturmovik profile when I load that up.

My experience: You buy all these later Saitek products for approximately one year of intense use, then you need to buy a new one.
I'd rather they build a very sturdy version and ask 100 euro more.
But I do like the X56 design much. It is a great spacesim HOTAS.

I got it just over a month ago and it has had some heavy usage in that time. It brings a lot of mixed feelings for me...

Positive: It is the perfect HOTAS for elite, so many controls, the thumb analogs cover all the thrusters so total control during a dogfight, loads of buttons most of which are easily accessible (the ones on right hand side of throttle being the exception which can be a bit of a pain).

Negative: It is garbage for the price, the stick does not center on any axis that well and have massive deadzones for this now (with toughest spring in as well), stick rotate is very stiff and can be tiring after a while. Throttle even on lowest tightness is very stiff, this does loosen a bit more over time though. The up down switch on throttle sticks in the down position. The thumb analogue on stick jams in the back position.

I am sticking with mine because the positivies do outweigh the negative, but I had an old Thrustmaster HOTAS which cost £25 before this one and never had any issues with it at all after 3 years, expected much much better for the cost of the X56

My experience: You buy all these later Saitek products for approximately one year of intense use, then you need to buy a new one.
I'd rather they build a very sturdy version and ask 100 euro more.
But I do like the X56 design much. It is a great spacesim HOTAS.

When you look at it in those terms the ‘Premium’ products don’t seem quite so expensive. I’d like to see them include a better quality, more expensive option around the same design. In terms of layout I think it’s extremely good.

When you look at it in those terms the ‘Premium’ products don’t seem quite so expensive. I’d like to see them include a better quality, more expensive option around the same design. In terms of layout I think it’s extremely good.

The layout of the x56 is second to none.

I agree the premium products are much cheaper in the long run than any (ex-)Saitek product. They seem to be more expensive at first glance, but in reality they are several hundreds of bucks cheaper than Saitek products.
If the premium HOTAS builders had a product that was to my liking I would buy it in a heartbeat, but in my opinion they all are lacking in some important area.
For example the Warthog has no twist axis. Without that it's a no go for me.

So far, so good for me. Although I've only had it about a week now so it's not saying much. My green X55 died a year ago (them pesky wires). Tried fixing it myself but more wires broke and then my re-soldered joints started breaking as well and I just gave up. I was a bit hesitant but heard a lot about the improved quality of the grey version and went for it as I really like the layout, amount of buttons and different modes. Only time will tell, I guess.

Only negatives thus far is the thumb stick on the joystick doesn't want to center and keeps wandering whichever direction it was last pushed so using it for thrusters etc is a no go. But I might find use for it as buttons, as I'm still in the process of binding/figuring things out with all the new scanners and what have you. Also the smaller thumb rotary on the throttle stick has the same issue as my X55, the "center position click" isn't at the center.

I've used an X52 and an X56 (grey) for ED and both have ultimately driven me mad. The X52 was used for four years before being passed on and it's still going strong but the X56 has bitten the dust after a year. I had an ongoing tech support dialogue for about three months regarding the X56 and it became apparent that Logitech have no intention of honouring any warranty. In the end I told them to shove their product and 'warranty' where the sun don't shine.

I've replaced the X56 throttle with a CH Pro which is generally good but lacks any resistance on it's forward/backwards movement (non adjustable as well) and it has no base buttons. All the other mini stick/hats/buttons are far superior to any Logitech device. Using the throttle buttons as modifiers you can map 64 different actions to the hats within ED.

This week I have taken delivery of a Virpil Warbrd stick and base and the difference to a logitech device is staggering. Unfortunately it only has two hats and two buttons so has fewer options than the X56 but it's engineering compared to an X52/X56 is light years ahead. It's a real classy bit of kit, which it should be for what it cost.

My personal opinion is that there are superior products to Logitech's offerings but unfortunately they cost a lot more. For a mid range bit of kit the X56 is ok, just don't expect it to last and when (not if) it fails you'll get no help from Logitech, who'll squirm their way out of any agreement. Disgusting company.

I love mine. Been using it for over a year now and no problems.. Not even wear thinking about it.

The problems with the thing are from the x55 design itself, specifically the joystick is just uncomfortable, but if you have one already you know what you’re getting.

Yeah the gray model has done nothing but filled me with confidence, it’s a premium product.

I wish someone would tell the chairman of CH Products that there is a market out here for an updated version of their stuff. I use their gear and would jump at an updated design if they kept the same reliability.

I did use a X55 for a while years ago (it broke within a week) and agree it was a good layout and I think the X56 would be really good for Elite if Logitech can provide the QA that Saitek lost.

Guess I will give X56 a chance and hope the major issues X55 had are fixed.

I just do not understand why the thumb button on the stick has been replaced by a joystick. It was the perfect button for secondary fire.

Guess I will give X56 a chance and hope the major issues X55 had are fixed.

I just do not understand why the thumb button on the stick has been replaced by a joystick. It was the perfect button for secondary fire.

The Y axis on that thumb stick is perfect for forward/aft thruster control for landing, while the throttle stick works for up/down/port/starboard axis thruster control.

The pinkie trigger (the small button at the grip base, not the big switch above it) works better for secondary weapons.

Top Bottom