Xbox Cmdr, in need of a PC Cmdr for investigations!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
There has been much discussion about sourcing the files and printing models of the ships (and other craft!) of Elite Dangerous. Much of this is great news to those with high power PCs to instal ED and poke around in the code! I don't have the equipment, nor am I likely to, as I have been "out of action" for 20yrs! My laptop is merely a surfing and YouTube tool, and the serious graphical gaming is done by the Xbox!
I therefore need to acquire a partner in crime to find out if files can be created that represent my ACTUAL SHIP in-game, complete with landing gear, ship-kits (spoilers etc.) and potentially, the ability to install hard-point loadouts, before "slicing" the files for 3d printing. This would be a LOT OF WORK, but my aim is to produce any ship, moulded in resin, at a scale of 1:125. The would produce a Sidewinder at 14cm long, up to a Cutter at over 1.5m in length! The mould production would take a few years, ...there's a LOT of ships! ...lol
Who's game? We should start with the main recognizable favourites like Sidewinder, Cobra 3, Asp X, and Python, but ALL ships should be represented eventually!
I've tried to get Frontier and Airfix to get something together, but this seems like a thing only us enthusiasts have interests in pursuing?

You probably will have to do it as a labour of love as Frontier hold the design rights so you won't be able to sell anything without their permission.

There is nothing stopping you designing the models and 3D printing them, you just can't legally sell them. Just saying.
Not so sure on the legality of reverse engineering from the game files.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Before you consider doing anything like this, why not contact Frontier and ask permission.

Ok going to close the thread from this point.

Thanks all.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom