Xbox one X 4k Quality settings stutter/low fps

Same here.

Odd how some people have this issue with 4K/Quality and some don't. I'd be tempted to try a re-install but I doubt if that would fix it. I remember a previous update which had frame-rate issues, in the end that was network-related at Frontier's end. Maybe try a hard-wired connection to your X, if you're not using one already.

I did a re-install of ED and have a wired connection, I also placed my One X in the dmz so all ports are open, my connection is rather good.
The performance dip is quite intermittend though, it can happen that when I'm in station with quite some traffic that the game runs smooth and while I'm a couple thousand lightyears outside the bubble in a system with only a star present and it stutters, or vice versa.
Quite often I see a performance drop when I'm in FSS mode and move the reticle over a group of bodies, that doesn't bother me realy but to me it confirms that it's probably not a hdd issue.

I recently did a factory reset of my Xbox One X, and ED is the only game installed. Wired connection and in DMZ so the connection is ideal. 55inch TCL P607 in game mode. I play in Solo.

My experiences on frame rates:

4k Quality - Looks the best obviously. Frame rate varies heavily depending on where I am and what I'm doing, but it hardly goes above 30 FPS and stays there.
4k Performance - Looks slightly worse than 4k quality. Much sharper graphics and text, especially HUD elements, compared to 1080p. Higher and more sustained frame rate than 4k Quality, but I can tell when it dips below 30 FPS. I prefer 4k performance when I'm not doing combat or mining.
1080p Quality - Textures look good, but definitely more "jaggies" compared to 4k. Higher and more sustained frame rate than 4k Performance.
1080p Performance - looks the worst, but has the highest and most sustained FPS. I use this mode for combat and mining.

The best way I can describe seeing slow frame rates is to go flying straight and steady through the middle of a ring at medium speed, and look at the asteroids passing you by. Does it appear smooth or not?

My issues on stutters:

FSS mode.
Mining in a ring, and open a panel.
Right before seismic charges detonate.
On a planet driving an SRV and open a panel.

I also have a suspicion that the longer the game is running, performance degrades and stutters increase in frequency. Possibly memory leaks but I can't say for sure because I'm on a console.

Last edited:
Yeah admittedly, the thought to shift ED to an external SSD was a wild shot. Because everything else in 4K is running smoothly at your's, I also would think the ball to be in FD's "graphics department", especially if you play in HD via your new 4K TV and none of the effetcs take place.

Last edited:
I recently did a factory reset of my Xbox One X, and ED is the only game installed. Wired connection and in DMZ so the connection is ideal. 55inch TCL P607 in game mode. I play in Solo.

My experiences on frame rates:

4k Quality - Looks the best obviously. Frame rate varies heavily depending on where I am and what I'm doing, but it hardly goes above 30 FPS and stays there.
4k Performance - Looks slightly worse than 4k quality. Much sharper graphics and text, especially HUD elements, compared to 1080p. Higher and more sustained frame rate than 4k Quality, but I can tell when it dips below 30 FPS. I prefer 4k performance when I'm not doing combat or mining.
1080p Quality - Textures look good, but definitely more "jaggies" compared to 4k. Higher and more sustained frame rate than 4k Performance.
1080p Performance - looks the worst, but has the highest and most sustained FPS. I use this mode for combat and mining.

The best way I can describe seeing slow frame rates is to go flying straight and steady through the middle of a ring at medium speed, and look at the asteroids passing you by. Does it appear smooth or not?

My issues on stutters:

FSS mode.
Mining in a ring, and open a panel.
Right before seismic charges detonate.
On a planet driving an SRV and open a panel.

I also have a suspicion that the longer the game is running, performance degrades and stutters increase in frequency. Possibly memory leaks but I can't say for sure because I'm on a console.

This has been my experience. ESPECIALLY the last part which I bolded.

My new setup with my new TV doesn't use an HDMI 2.1 cable though like my old setup did. Will probably spend some time next weekend pulling the old 2.1 out of the wall behind my old TV to use that in the new Den on the new TV.

It's disappointing that a console as powerful as the xbox one x has such poor performance in Elite Dangerous in 4k modes compared to other "4k enhanced" games.

I just came back to the game after 6-8 month hiatus. Previously I had the graphics set to 4k/quality and it was silky smooth before, however now it runs at like 25fps. I actually had to drop it down 1080p/performance to get the game back to the smoothness I was getting before the hiatus. Also, now when you select the the mission board or the passenger lounge, it takes forever to load.

Before the white knights start saying "Well, did you do this/that?" It's not me, it's the game.

Some have isses with the 4k mode recently, but many don't have them. For whatever reason this is not a issue for all xbox players.
Mine runs still fine in 4k quality with no issues aside of Davs Hope. I play Elite on PC as well. The performance however is generally better there.

Some have isses with the 4k mode recently, but many don't have them. For whatever reason this is not a issue for all xbox players.
Mine runs still fine in 4k quality with no issues aside of Davs Hope. I play Elite on PC as well. The performance however is generally better there.

How is the performance in 4k quality? I actually don't have a 4k TV yet but should be getting one in a few months. In the meantime, I'd be using 1080 quality though so I hope that looks decent. I actually don't mind the quality at all of ED on my Standard PS4....the performance is sort of lackluster though.

How is the performance in 4k quality? I actually don't have a 4k TV yet but should be getting one in a few months. In the meantime, I'd be using 1080 quality though so I hope that looks decent. I actually don't mind the quality at all of ED on my Standard PS4

I had the same thought about ED on my XB1.

Then a brought an Xbox One X.

And a 4K TV.

No way I'm going back to my original XB1 now. Performance is better than it was on the original XB1, but looks so much better.

Last edited:
I had the same thought about ED on my XB1.

Then a brought an Xbox One X.

And a 4K TV.

No way I'm going back to my original XB1 now. Performance is better than it was on the original XB1, but looks so much better.

Well, I run ED (predominantly) on a PC with a 3440x1440 Ultrawide panel so I'm with you on the 4K looking better. The XBOX One X version is more for relaxing in the loft while I play....rather than sitting in the home-office. haha

Took the plunge and went out and bought an XBox One X yesterday. WOW....there's a pretty noticeable difference between the PS4/Xbox One and XBox One X.

I've been running it at 1080P Quality settings (I don't have a 4K HDTV). It's smooth as glass and looks great. Is this the setting that uses the super-sampling, because I don't really see any jaggies?

Took the plunge and went out and bought an XBox One X yesterday. WOW....there's a pretty noticeable difference between the PS4/Xbox One and XBox One X.

I've been running it at 1080P Quality settings (I don't have a 4K HDTV). It's smooth as glass and looks great. Is this the setting that uses the super-sampling, because I don't really see any jaggies?

When you set ED to 4k either Performance or Quality then the Supersampling kicks in.
The One X scales ED's 4k down to 1080p but it does look better then standard 1080p, you'll get a hit on performance though.
1080p Quality does look rather good though and it runs better.

When I still had my 1080p plasma I ran the game in 1080p Quality exclusively.

Last edited:
When you set ED to 4k either Performance or Quality then the Supersampling kicks in.
The One X scales ED's 4k down to 1080p but it does look better then standard 1080p, you'll get a hit on performance though.
1080p Quality does look rather good though and it runs better.

When I still had my 1080p plasma I ran the game in 1080p Quality exclusively.

Yeah, the 1080P Quality looks really good and the performance is excellent. No complaints here :)

I might give 4k performance another look, but to be honest, 1080P Quality seems great as-is.

There's no supersampling in 1080p mode since there are no more pixels rendered than displayed on the screen. :) Supersampling is available in 4K mode and it does make the picture sharper but at the (quite big) cost of performance. I am generally satisfied with the framerate in 1080p mode on X, at least until I see PC footage. Sadly, we're still very far from PC performance and I do hope that the next Xbox will finally be powerful enough for the task (the bottleneck is the CPU here) and that it will be fully compatible so we'll be able to just continue playing our XB1 games.

There's no supersampling in 1080p mode since there are no more pixels rendered than displayed on the screen. :) Supersampling is available in 4K mode and it does make the picture sharper but at the (quite big) cost of performance. I am generally satisfied with the framerate in 1080p mode on X, at least until I see PC footage. Sadly, we're still very far from PC performance and I do hope that the next Xbox will finally be powerful enough for the task (the bottleneck is the CPU here) and that it will be fully compatible so we'll be able to just continue playing our XB1 games.

The drop in performance is a problem within ED though imho.
All my other 4k games run smooth as silk and they're quite graphic intensive.
When I look at the two last Assassin's Creed games, they run fantastic.
In Odyssey you've got large battles with a lot of NPCs running around or ship battles with a quite graphical heavy sea and several beautiful rendered ships but the game doesn't even show a hiccup let alone a framerate drop.
Imho this time it's not the X One being the problem, ED needs some serious performance tweaking.

When having to choose between 1080p Quality or 4k Performance I would always pick 1080p Quality, in Performance mode you lose quite some detail imho, like heat blur fro your engines but also to the detail of planetary surfaces.

I'm not surprised, both xbox and ps4 use AMD graphics chips. Only nvidia has smashed the 4k and 60 FPS limit.

Consoles cannot really play 4k at a decent FPS, unless AMD full their fingers out the next generation may have the same problem.
good job the next gen aren't using amd then.

Top Bottom