XG Trident, Javelin or Lance

Just need a quick show of hands please chaps...

I'm at the ruins, I've brought two keys...

Which guardian SLF's should I be going for? On paper is sounds like the trident is the most versatile...

Anyone got any experience with these toys they'd like to share?

IMG_0038.JPG

-zooom, pew pew-

I'm not an expert as xeno fight but from what i know:

trident: shoot plasma, ammo use the weapon capacitor (no ammo)
javelin: shoot shards, limited ammo
lance: shoot gauss, limited ammo

For what i know, gauss weapon is the best for AX fight.
What are you planning to do with your slf? using a bot to help you or will it be a player?
if bot: trident
if player: lance (use gauss to snipe the hearts).

BUT, don't expect them to be a real help. They are just as weak as normal slf but can damage thargoids.

They are all, unfortunately, less able at anything you'd use a fighter for than any of the standard ones you could just buy at a station. Very much more style than substance.

That said, they can still be fun to fly around in and the sparks and glowing effect in the cockpit from boosts is very well done. I would personally unlock all 3, see which you enjoy most and play around with that as they are quite different.

You will still go back to the standard ones if you're just looking to get a job done though.

AX Taipan is possibly the thing for Thargoids due to the much stronger hull.

They are all, unfortunately, less able at anything you'd use a fighter for than any of the standard ones you could just buy at a station. Very much more style than substance.

That said, they can still be fun to fly around in and the sparks and glowing effect in the cockpit from boosts is very well done. I would personally unlock all 3, see which you enjoy most and play around with that as they are quite different.

You will still go back to the standard ones if you're just looking to get a job done though.

AX Taipan is possibly the thing for Thargoids due to the much stronger hull.
AX Taipan? first time i hear it, googled it and saw... multicannons :ROFLMAO:
Laughed and close the tabs.

I'm not an expert as xeno fight but from what i know:

trident: shoot plasma, ammo use the weapon capacitor (no ammo)
javelin: shoot shards, limited ammo
lance: shoot gauss, limited ammo

For what i know, gauss weapon is the best for AX fight.
What are you planning to do with your slf? using a bot to help you or will it be a player?
if bot: trident
if player: lance (use gauss to snipe the hearts).

BUT, don't expect them to be a real help. They are just as weak as normal slf but can damage thargoids.
Honestly I'm just picking them up because it's not something I've done before. Haven't really done much tharg combat...
Player or bot is fine. Guess I'll go for the trident and lance and see how I get on! Thanks for the advice...

For small goids plasma works ok. For big ones rail-gun allows to snipe. However any fighter will be trashed in 10-15s there.
So you could use it as 1 shoot cannons - deploy, snipe heart, dead.

My Elite NPC pilots has a difficult time killing scouts with Trident, misses a lot of the time. The NPC does much better in the Lance.
For me ...plasma forces npc to stay still so I can shoot using railgun.
NPC does avoid maneuver against SLF's plasma, but from my point it stands still. So i can shoot railguns. That how I use plasma fighters with ax/human combat. My pilot just forces enemy position so I can shoot good.

Last edited:
the fighters unfortunately do not have the resiliance to actually engage in AX combat. They are eliminated in seconds by the swarm.
For mid ship like MK-2 fighter give a time to snipe & drive away. I don't bother swarm at all because always missing. Just fighter, snipe heart - run away for repairs/next stage.

I'd go for the Trident, purely on the basis that I've noticed SLF pilots have a habit of continuing to fly around, looking very impressive, even if they've run out of ammo'.

I know the Trident's DPS seems to suck, on paper, but I also know that (in the hands of an Elite SLF jockey) it can make things like Eagles and Adders go boom in a single pass.
If you're flying a slow ship, it can also finish off things like Cobra, Asps and even the occasional Phantom if they decide to flee and you're too slow to chase them yourself.
Overall, it's DPS seems fine to me.

As a rule, these days, I stock all my SLF hangars with a Rogue F Taipan and a Trident.
The Taipan sees most use in CZs cos it seems to last longer against multiple threats, and it's the SLF I (try to) fly too.
The Trident gets used for Assassination missions and for self-defence cos, regardless of the apparenly poor DPS, it seems to be good at getting the better of single opponents.

To be honest, the Trident is probably no more useful than the Aegis F Condor or Rogue F GU-97 but, hey, it's fun to have cool toys.

Top Bottom