Yet another Pimax 5K+ topic :)

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
Hey all,

The Pimax 5k+ dropped through the mail a week+ ago, but I've not had time to test it until now. I'll echo the other posters below, in that it is a bit of a mixed bag - several pros, many cons depending on your VR experience.

I currently have the Rift (and DK1/2), Vive, and an Oculus Go. I've been driving the Pimax with the Vive base stations for tracking, and the PC is an i5 OC'd to 4Ghz with a 1080.

The Good:

The FOV is amazing. It's *way* better than any other HMD I've ever owned, and is quite simply fantastic. It's almost to the point where it extends beyond the point of my vision, but not quite. There's also definate distortion at the edges of the view, but in normal usage where your focus is you don't tend to notice it that much, but it is definately there.

SDE is very very low - way way better than the Rift and miles ahead of the Vive. It's slightly better than the Oculus Go also.

Haloing (the shine you get on the fresnel lenses) is also very low - way better than Rift/Vive.

In general, the detail and visuals are amazing - definitely the best experience visually of all the units I own.

The Bad:

Straps - same configuration as the Vive, uncomfy as hell and no matter how I've tried so far, I can't get it to sit on my head comfortably or securely.

Weight - it's heavy - Vive heavy, and with the Vive style straps, that just tends to pull the straps up the back of your head, and the HMD drops down - difficult to get positioned correctly.

Cable - better than the Vive, whose cable is a multicore monstrosity, but still worse than the Rift. Has a noticable weight, and "drags" the unit when you're wearing it - it's quite annoying. Also, the video connection is DP rather than HDMI, which I found irritating as I drive my main monitor off DP so had to swap everything around, and I won't be driving it from the Razer Blade without HDMI - will need a converter.

Headphones - as per the Vive - no built in headphones, which is just a monumental pain in the rear end. Oculus has this nailed in both the Rift and the Go.

Tracking - using the Vive lighthouses, it's very very sensitive to blockages - just trying to adjust the IPD, and putting your hand on the side of the unit while you try to move the little wheel, results in a loss of tracking and a grey screen, which is a pain when you're trying to judge if you're making the visuals better or worse.

Glasses - wear glasses? No chance. Not as bad as the Rift, but worse than the Vive. The Go is good as it ships with a spacer - I'm going to order one of the amazon face cushions and try that.

Nose - because a) it's heavy, and b) the straps suck, it tends to end up resting on your nose. This would be fine, however the edges of the lenses are hard plastic, and have no cushioning - it REALLY needs pads on the lens edges. If you move your head side to side, the lenses cut into your nose on each side as you move (as the unit lags due to inertia as it's weighty), and it's quite uncomfortable (i.e. hurts). I need to get pads on the lense sides as the first thing I do because it's not a nice experience currently.

So - in a nutshell:

Visuals - best in class, way way better than the Vive, better than the Rift, better than the Go, and the FOV is industry leading and a WOW factor.

Ergonomically - it's heavy and uncomfortable, with sharp lens edges, and no built in headphones - comfort wise worse than the Vive (although the cable is slightly better), but way worse than the Rift (both comfort and cable).

I kickstarted mine, with no lighthouses, so got it for $499. On the site, they're $999 - I wouldn't pay that to be honest - the Rift is way way better value if you want to get into VR or for a simple setup.

For me so far, nothing beats the Rift for convenience and comfort - you can pull it on/off, has simple setup with the sensors, is very comfortable, and built in audio - it's my go-to HMD. The Pimax will replace the Vive as my "experience" HMD most likely - the visuals are oustanding, but it's uncomfortable, and still needs the lighthouses, which is frankly a PITA compared with getting the Rift going for a short VR session.

But the field of view - it is truly amazing....

Last edited:
Welcome to the club !

I was completely oblivious to it right up until Xmas last year. I had just accepted the fact that the Rift was VR and that was that. I was happy with it, didn't know any different and Oculus were doing precisely sweet nothing to change the status quo. In fact the VR industry as a whole appeared to be having a lengthy siesta.

Then along came Pimax. I had largely dismissed it as some dodgy startup that was looking to bang out a novelty HMD and why was everyone getting in a tiz about what was surely going to be a complete non runner - 8k are you having a laugh ?

Then they started arriving in country and I quickly became seduced by the Cylon neon blaze and the promise of huge field of view. Had to get one and see what all the fuss was about...

It has its flaws and can be a colossal pita at times but it truly heralds a golden era of next level immersion. In 5 years time we will look back on it with the same reverence as the DK2, it has changed the game that fundamentally.

You probably already have plans but I will reinforce the fact that a new gasket and DAS transforms it.

Last edited:
A lot of your problems with ergonomics/weight would be solved if you have a HTC Vive Deluxe Audio Strap around, or if you purchase one. I had a lot of the same issues you had with my Pimax but then I got one and it made a world of difference for me. They even have adapters available specifically to attach the HTC DAS with 3D printed clips that work great. Below is the link.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3285729

You can have one of the printing services manufacture a set for you at a good price, however I am choosing to have another set printed with Nylon instead of the standard material used as my first set seemed a bit prone to cracking. Luckily I had extras ordered.

The HTC DAS headphone plug also goes right in to the Pimax's audio jack perfectly. I strongly recommend using this especially since who knows when Pimax will come up with their own deluxe headset.

Last edited:

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
Yep - I don't have the DAS for my Vive, but it's a no brainer to get now and use it with the Pimax.

I have a 3D printer, so I can easily print off the adapters.

Yep - I don't have the DAS for my Vive, but it's a no brainer to get now and use it with the Pimax.

I have a 3D printer, so I can easily print off the adapters.

It makes a massive difference, its super comfy when pimped and you can get the alignment spot on.

meRrOsB.jpg

It looks like even the standard Vive headstrap works with the 3D printed adapters which would still be way better than the Pimax strap until you get a DAS.

You didn't mention one huge pro and one huge con - though as all things VR it's highly subjective. The pro is the sweetspot - it is simply unparalleled to anything on the market currently. Nothing comes close to the fact that I can move my eyeballs around again.
The con you didn't mention are the LCD screens itself, namely the colours. I have a Vive and had Pimax for testing for quite a few days. Pimax is washed out compared to Vive, the colours are bleak. Do A/B testing if you don't believe me. The $999 is the business edition with OLED and perhaps that has nicer colours. Regular 5k+ is I believe $599.
All in all, we're not there yet. I hope gen 2 drops sooner than later, although we might need to wait for RTX 2180 for that.

Going back to the uk next month so will get this sorted. Where can I get the 3D printed parts from?

I got mine done at 3DHubs, not cheap but good quality.

https://www.3dhubs.com/

The .stl files can be downloaded from Thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3285729/files

I printed the short clip adapter x 2, top peg adapter and top peg.

Be sure to specify the print attributes when you accept the quote (there is provision to add manual instructions when you accept the quote with 3D Hubs)

Infill: 90%
Filament: PLA
Layer Height : 0.15mm

it's funny you complain about weight.
I recall it was reviewed as pretty light considering the size and even compared to some existing HMDs...

I got mine done at 3DHubs, not cheap but good quality.

https://www.3dhubs.com/

The .stl files can be downloaded from Thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3285729/files

I printed the short clip adapter x 2, top peg adapter and top peg.

Be sure to specify the print attributes when you accept the quote (there is provision to add manual instructions when you accept the quote with 3D Hubs)

Infill: 90%
Filament: PLA
Layer Height : 0.15mm

A US company?

Gotta agree with the OP's comments - especially the (BAD) part about the Pimax resting hard on the nose.
I installed the Pimax last Thursday, setup was pretty straightforward but boy did it hurt to wear for more than 10mins. I modded a spare oculus cv1 foam and even tried extra cushioning with a spare gearVR foam - no joy.
I ordered one of those 'kiwi' vive replacement foam kits from amazon first thing Friday and it arrived Saturday pm.
Fitted the thickest (18mm) cushion and tried again. Nose still rubbed on the sharp lens edge. Was getting pretty peeved off as it seemed impossible to run my specified ipd with a moderate sized 'hooter', without pain. Was seriously thinking of it boxing back up and selling on. But man! - that FOV and the clarity of text! - I just had to try and resolve this. Its one more step to VR immersion when combined with my other 'motion toys' in my sig below. If I can build them - I ought'a be able to sort this.

By Sunday 10am - it was sorted.
Fitted a rubber/foam nose bridge (from a bit of the gearVR mask) and a bit of extra packing near the bottom to block out any light and make a more profiled fit to my face.
Next thing, I ignored the IPD figures in the pimax display. I have a measured IPD of 61. That is what I had previously dialed into the Pimax. Forget that. Because the headset has quite large sweetspot (compared to my cv1) I instead used parallax to find a perfect IPD position (from ipd61 focus on something in the ship - I use the temp display, then increase IPD a little, shut one eye and check focus and position, then other eye and check focus and position, keep repeating whilst widening iPD until image starts to lose focus/alignment, then wind IPD back a touch) - turns out anything from 61+ to 64ish it just as good (still nice sharp image). Gives more room for my hooter too.
I did 7 hrs in it yesterday - DW2 and quite a bit of CQC (in motion rig I wear a seatbelt for cqc) so everything got a good workout.
Just waiting for the vive comfy headstrap to arrive end of week to complete this setup - I'm pretty happy with it all so far now.

(tried to post a picture - 5 times using all the intuative buttons - like 'post image' - lol) here is a link....
https://imgur.com/9FI2GZp

Last edited:
I received my Pimax, yes the FOV is impressive, however the distortion makes mine unusable !! Neither are the colours or god rays... The image is incredibly washed out and really detracts from the experience... For me, my Vive Pro ( with lens mod ) is far superior in every way, except the FOV...

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
I received my Pimax, yes the FOV is impressive, however the distortion makes mine unusable !! Neither are the colours or god rays... The image is incredibly washed out and really detracts from the experience... For me, my Vive Pro ( with lens mod ) is far superior in every way, except the FOV...

That's really odd, because mine, compared to the Vive/Vive Pro, is far far better image quality wise.

The god rays are massively reduced on the Pimax. Do you have an interesting IPD or high prescription?

Granted, my vives aren't modded, but the Pimax is so far ahead in the visuals I'd be really surprised if it's not an upgrade. The readability alone is immense compared to the Vives (which I find definitely worse than the rift).

The distortion is very noticeable at first, but in actual use, you don't really notice it - it's like running tripleheaded monitors - you only really look at the middle one - if you look at the side monitors in isolation. they look wierd due to FoV but it just fills in your vision. The distortion effect isn't particularly deep into the FoV and you soon get used to it - it's worth it for the amazing FoV!

Last edited:
That's really odd, because mine, compared to the Vive/Vive Pro, is far far better image quality wise.

The god rays are massively reduced on the Pimax. Do you have an interesting IPD or high prescription?

Granted, my vives aren't modded, but the Pimax is so far ahead in the visuals I'd be really surprised if it's not an upgrade. The readability alone is immense compared to the Vives (which I find definitely worse than the rift).

The distortion is very noticeable at first, but in actual use, you don't really notice it - it's like running tripleheaded monitors - you only really look at the middle one - if you look at the side monitors in isolation. they look wierd due to FoV but it just fills in your vision. The distortion effect isn't particularly deep into the FoV and you soon get used to it - it's worth it for the amazing FoV!

No prescription and an IPD of 65mm. My Vive Pro has the lens mod and there are zero god rays, just clear vision with awesome colour reproduction. The pimax is uncomfortable and is so washed out that the cockpit looks almost black and white. I use a HUD colour of predominantly white, but the reds are almost non-existent.. The bit that shows your shield health for example, instead of being it's normal red colour is a sort of very vague pink'ish colour that looks like a really old LCD monitor that has lost all contrast ratio etc..

Yeah, nothing comes close to the modded Pro for Elite - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/477933-Best-HMD-for-Elite

With regards distortion get yourself a new deeper gasket and a Vive DAS, print up some adapters and that will sort it. See my earlier post in the thread.

You are experiencing Pimax day 1 syndrome. Pimp it out and give yourself a bit of time with it. I wanted to sell the damn thing on the first evening, it was shockingly bad.

Yeah, nothing comes close to the modded Pro for Elite - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/477933-Best-HMD-for-Elite

With regards distortion get yourself a new deeper gasket and a Vive DAS, print up some adapters and that will sort it. See my earlier post in the thread.

You are experiencing Pimax day 1 syndrome. Pimp it out and give yourself a bit of time with it. I wanted to sell the damn thing on the first evening, it was shockingly bad.

Had both waiting for the Pimax, all of my assessment are after fitting the DAS and Thicker Face Gasket.....

Top Bottom