Yet another Pimax 5K+ topic :)

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
I’ll take you up on that offer slopey sir!

PM me with your address :)

I can send you the top clip, and two versions of the side clips (long and short) - I'll print them tomorrow/Sat - only takes 2 hours or so.

Do you want black, white or orange? (which are the 3 filament colours I have at the moment).

Last edited:
the wobbling you describe is sign of pimax not processing tracking correctly, turn it off and on again using the button and hope it goes away. it's a software issue and a nuisance, probably will get fixed at some point. Nothing should wiggle when you move head around. It sometimes happens when you put your pimax away then pick it up. Teething problems.

Ok thanks, I'll give it another go today, I never thought tracking would be an issue as it seemed to be fine in Arizona Sunshine etc.. I mean, the wands were in the correct places and it looked like it was tracking correctly etc.. But'll try on a separate computer without any tracking and see of the movement is still there etc...

Ok thanks, I'll give it another go today, I never thought tracking would be an issue as it seemed to be fine in Arizona Sunshine etc.. I mean, the wands were in the correct places and it looked like it was tracking correctly etc.. But'll try on a separate computer without any tracking and see of the movement is still there etc...

It was something I've experienced when testing 5k+, for some strange reason I was getting wobbly lines in steamvr "standby" mode (steamvr home off). Also do yourself a favour and turn off pimax home, I've been told it eats away performance when other applications are running. Like said turning Pimax on and off usually solves it. It was not a question of hardware, because we actually had two units for testing (looong story). The other weird thing pimax was doing when waking from standby was two flat view panes crossing in the middle of your fov. Eventually both "defects" were corrected by the software, but I found out it's much faster to "reboot" pimax via the on-hmd button. Sometimes, reboot hmd from PiTool was needed.

As for distortion, it is there on the edges of the screen or rather field of view, the center of your fov should be distortion-free. The distortion itself is similar to a flat-sided fishbowl, and you do notice it when turning your head. It's a weird feeling but one that quickly passes. It might be bothersome to more sensitive people, but I acknowledged its presence fairly quickly and adapted.

Hi folks, so I have been using VR for ages, started with Rift DK2, then HTC Vive, also I have PSVR & Samsung Note 9 VR.

Recently I got the Samsung Odyssey Plus from the USA which I love as the text is now so readable, fantastic HMD.
I purchased a Pimax 5k Plus from eBay and set it up over the weekend, boy what a disappointment!
I got terrible eye strain with the Pimax 5k so much so that 5 minutes is all that I can wear it for, then when I took the headset off my eyes are all crossed and it takes a few minutes to recover.
I set the correct IPD, even adjusted it in case it was reading wrong, measured my eyes and set the IPD manually, set parallel projections for Elite, still horrendous eye strain.
This has never happened for me with any other VR system, googling 'Pimax 5k eye strain' I find that loads of users are suffering the same issue, but then some are fine as I have not seen anyone here complaining about it.

Has anyone experienced this?
Could it be a faulty HMD?
p.s. my IPD is around 63.3

There have been a few users that seem to suffer from eye strain on the 5K+/8K and they also seem to have IPD's at the lower end of the spectrum, so I don't think you're alone, but its unclear whether its an HMD issue or a physiology issue for certain IPD/head shapes.
You could try the latest beta drivers/firmware from pimax, which now includes software an IPD offset feature to help alleviate eye strain. See the thread here and make sure you're ont he latest nVidia drivers before installing: https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pitool-1-0-1-121-beta-test-release-for-brainwarp-1-0/18306
Hope that helps...

Hi folks, so I have been using VR for ages, started with Rift DK2, then HTC Vive, also I have PSVR & Samsung Note 9 VR.

Recently I got the Samsung Odyssey Plus from the USA which I love as the text is now so readable, fantastic HMD.
I purchased a Pimax 5k Plus from eBay and set it up over the weekend, boy what a disappointment!
I got terrible eye strain with the Pimax 5k so much so that 5 minutes is all that I can wear it for, then when I took the headset off my eyes are all crossed and it takes a few minutes to recover.
I set the correct IPD, even adjusted it in case it was reading wrong, measured my eyes and set the IPD manually, set parallel projections for Elite, still horrendous eye strain.
This has never happened for me with any other VR system, googling 'Pimax 5k eye strain' I find that loads of users are suffering the same issue, but then some are fine as I have not seen anyone here complaining about it.

Has anyone experienced this?
Could it be a faulty HMD?
p.s. my IPD is around 63.3

Yes. I was so bitterly disappointed with the pimax eyestrain I couldn't even bring myself to write a quick review here. It was the last thing I was expecting, after reading so many reviews and user comments. I was expecting poor black levels, but not this.

So after the initial shock of the obvious mis-matched focal convergence (explained in links below), I did a quick search and sure enough it's a huge problem for many pimax users:

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/5k-causing-significant-eye-strain/11958
https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/eye-strain-its-more-like-my-brain-feels-violated/15789
https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/physica...ching-ipd-reading-a-cause-for-eyestrain/14390
https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pimax-i...-160-fov-lens-replacements-and-adaptors/16925

And the possible root cause:

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/clarifying-near-ipd-x-distant-ipd-confusion/14809
https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/some-thoughts-on-the-ipd-discrepancy/14754

At least Mr Teatime's link in his post above gives me hope.

ps. my IPD is ~67.5 mm and I've been using the rift for 2.5 years with not a hint of this issue

Last edited:
Yes. I was so bitterly disappointed with the pimax eyestrain I couldn't even bring myself to write a quick review here. It was the last thing I was expecting, after reading so many reviews and user comments. I was expecting poor black levels, but not this.

So after the initial shock of the obvious mis-matched focal convergence (explained in links below), I did a quick search and sure enough it's a huge problem for many pimax users:

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/5k-causing-significant-eye-strain/11958
https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/eye-strain-its-more-like-my-brain-feels-violated/15789
https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/physica...ching-ipd-reading-a-cause-for-eyestrain/14390
https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/pimax-i...-160-fov-lens-replacements-and-adaptors/16925

And the possible root cause:

https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/clarifying-near-ipd-x-distant-ipd-confusion/14809
https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/some-thoughts-on-the-ipd-discrepancy/14754

At least Mr Teatime's link in his post above gives me hope.

ps. my IPD is ~67.5 mm and I've been using the rift for 2.5 years with not a hint of this issue

Yep I am also totally disappointed with the Pimax 5k Plus.
I am so glad the unit I purchased from eBay also had the pixel 'sparkle' issue where its either a faulty cable or screens, as such I am sending it back for a refund. I have also canceled my 5k Plus order with Pimax as the unit IMO is rubbish.
So glad I have the Samsung Odyssey Plus.

It does amaze me that no one is talking about this issue, except those of us that have purchased the product, as all the reviews on Youtube it does not come up.

Anyone looking to purchase a Pimax 5k Plus I would recommend trying one first as it could be a huge disappointment and waste of money.

Added to this I found the unit felt cheap its not like the Vive, PSVR or Odyssey.

I'm keen to see what the Valve Index VR is like come May 1.

I received my pimax5k+ a few weeks back and while ive only had one session of elite, it was completely without any issues.
Ive spent over 300 hours playing other VR games using it so i guess i just have the right face shape for it to fit/work perfectly or there are pretty major differences between units.

The most recent pitool beta allows for brightness and contrast control, turning brightness down a bit+contrast up a bit makes the black levels look noticeably better.

There are a few things that can affect people's eye strain. Most important is the IPD in a fov outside what people are use to is harder to dial in. Thankfully the latest Pitool has an IPD offset slider.
I am pretty VR hardened after being in the Rift so long but I did get a bit of eye strain because of the Pimax not lining up perfectly at or near my IPD _(66.7 official).
Even after adding a Vive Das and a 5 ounce counter weight to it, (headset wants to ride forward) I found no ipd afforded perfect focus in both eyes at the same setting. The offset slider fixed this by allowing me to dial in a slight adjustment. The final piece of the puzzle was the headset still wanted to slip unless I tightened the DAS to a point where I felt too close and it felt uncomfortably tight.
Today I received my StudioFormCreative comfort strap https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/new-comfort-mods-for-pimax-head-strap-available-to-buy-now/13972
Put a big smile on my face. Now the Pimax sits exactly where I put it and I can wear it more loosely with glasses without pinching for hours.

This being a unique product, it has some teething issues for sure and it for sure is not a one size fits all solution or a one solution solves every ones issues but finding the right fixes has made this an exceptionally good VR experience. As a Kiickstarter backer I am quite pleased. Retail customers might want to wait for Pimax to advance the software more and release their DAS's unless they are hardcore VR enthusiasts and willing early adopters.

There are a few things that can affect people's eye strain. Most important is the IPD in a fov outside what people are use to is harder to dial in. Thankfully the latest Pitool has an IPD offset slider.
I am pretty VR hardened after being in the Rift so long but I did get a bit of eye strain because of the Pimax not lining up perfectly at or near my IPD _(66.7 official).
Even after adding a Vive Das and a 5 ounce counter weight to it, (headset wants to ride forward) I found no ipd afforded perfect focus in both eyes at the same setting. The offset slider fixed this by allowing me to dial in a slight adjustment. The final piece of the puzzle was the headset still wanted to slip unless I tightened the DAS to a point where I felt too close and it felt uncomfortably tight.
Today I received my StudioFormCreative comfort strap https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/new-comfort-mods-for-pimax-head-strap-available-to-buy-now/13972
Put a big smile on my face. Now the Pimax sits exactly where I put it and I can wear it more loosely with glasses without pinching for hours.

This being a unique product, it has some teething issues for sure and it for sure is not a one size fits all solution or a one solution solves every ones issues but finding the right fixes has made this an exceptionally good VR experience. As a Kiickstarter backer I am quite pleased. Retail customers might want to wait for Pimax to advance the software more and release their DAS's unless they are hardcore VR enthusiasts and willing early adopters.

Reinforcing dogbite's advice to anyone thinking of buying a pimax. Might be best to wait, and if you have a chance to get a demo first, please do. Check if you have an issue with focal convergence as described above. See if it can be adjusted with the IPD controls. The new IPD offset worked for me somewhat, but my best compromise settings give a result nowhere near as good as the rift. Something about the pimax's focal convergence is simply wrong (IMHO). Also the headstrap is awful (what was pimax thinking?). People are buying 3rd party replacements or printing their own clips to fit the vive DAS, etc.

Those two negatives aside, the pimax performs pretty much as described in reviews - great FOV, little SDE, almost no god rays, etc. At least that's how it seems to me, as I can only use it for 5 mins due to the above two issues.

@dogbite Thanks for the link to the deluxe pimax straps. Just ordered, and when it arrives, fingers crossed I can dial in the pimax controls to something like normal vision.

As an update to my Pimax 5k eye strain;

I ordered a Pimax 5k from Pimax, being important I then picked one up from eBay.

If arrived and I to have horrendous eye strain when using the Pimax 5k!

I own a Rift DK2, Samsung Odyssey Plus, PSVR, Vive Original and have never suffered eye strain.
Luckily the Pimax 5k also had the ‘sparkle’ pixels issue so I returned it to the eBay re-seller for a refund.

I tried to cancel my Pimax order, sadly (well gladly) it had shipped so they would not refund me.
When it arrived I tried it and no eye strain what so ever.

So IMO those suffering eye strain must have faulty units, either lenses or screens.
It is unlikely to be down to head geometry otherwise I would have had an issue with the second unit.

Thats good to hear, i did expect it to actually be some sort of issue since positioning on your face should only really affect your "sweet spot".

With the less savvy users i think it might be them not understanding how to correctly set their IPD or even have to do with them not enabling parallell projections in a game that needs it and instead are forcing their eyes to go all Marty Feldman.

There been numerous complaints about the casing cracking no matter how careful yu are with teh HMD and even complaints of replacement headset arriving already cracked...pimax needs to seriously take a look at their quality control cause right now it atrociously lacking.

I am pleased with my 5K+ with everything but the housing quality. I had the a poor fit between front and rear pieces cause a couple of corner chips when I first got it and will eventually RMA when it is clear Pimax has resolved the issue. No cracks yet though.

The weight issue isn't so much about weighing more than my Rift as it's size making it front heavy. This initially made it droop and hard to keep in the perfect spot on my face. Adding a Vive DAS and a 5 ounce counter weight resolved that for me.

It performs better than I had expected when backing it, thanks to ongoing improvements in Pitool. The only missing piece for me is gen 2 controllers which are coming. I hope Pimax does well by Sword, but expect the delays will have me buying Valve Index controllers.

I had a 5k+ for a week to test and my conclusion:
1. despite my IPD of 62mm and no problems with Rift + Odyssey, no usable sweetspot, 100% Focus not possible
2. backlight/blacklevel, well, it's LCD. Anyone who claims he doesn't see the backlight in Elite needs a new eye doctor...LOL. The first time I undocked in the Dolphin, I thought someone probably forgot to turn off the light in the ship...
3. uncomfortable

Top Bottom