You can get interdicted by Thargoids in SCO

Meh. Maybe I’ll try it one day but nothing about it interests me at this point. Honestly it looks like it would be a little fun for about a minute, but nothing about massive heat, fuel usage and control issues makes me want to go fast in super cruise for no apparent reason.

Meh. Maybe I’ll try it one day but nothing about it interests me at this point. Honestly it looks like it would be a little fun for about a minute, but nothing about massive heat, fuel usage and control issues makes me want to go fast in super cruise for no apparent reason.
To each, their own :)

You don't know until you've got the option to not sit in the gravity well of a gas giant for several minutes.

I do suggest trying it for yourself. There's heaps of reasons to use it, and the heat/ fuel usage isn't a big deal for most practical use-cases. The loss of control is also very manageable, after a couple attempts. The interdiction minigame is harder, by contrast, which says a lot.

People just like to complain that it isn't just a raw speed increase with no drawbacks.

How fast were you going? Were you in the phase right after engaging overcharge (still picking up speed) or already doing above 1000c?

This is pretty big information because I'm willing to bet that human players can do the same with an interdictor.
About 1200 ls/s had been engaged for about 4 seconds.

I think it can be done, it looked like it on a youtube vid, but cannot be too certain. It was a PVP vid, with no real dialogue.

You're imaginary doing it wrong.

The super supercruise doesn't interest me. I was rather hoping for a breakthrough in hyperspace travel allowing pilots to jump significantly further.

@Jmanis Honest question, because I do respect your opinions:

Please elaborate, because I’m not seeing anything more than saving a bit of time in gravity wells at the expense of gimping jump range.
The skinny of it is it fits very well into most mission running fits. It virtually halved the time for me to clear a stack of massacre missions, where the distance between USS was up to 10k ls.

Meanwhile, for distance- based rewards like old Rhea runs, while i need to calculate the difference still, i estimate you'll get at least an order of magnitude higher rewards, and cut out the travel time very substantially with a few tweaks.

For CGs, it makes travel to distant markets more viable, where it would normally be more effective to just jump further out.

While for many fits, a switch to the sco is all that's needed, the GFSD Booster, a heatsink launcher and maybe one extra fuel tank will be sufficient while still coming out positive in an opportunity cost calculation.

There's also lots of utility for pure BGS activity for some of the systems with only distant outposts.

It's definitely not designed for long range jump traveltravel, rather, chucking onto an FC or transferring to the relevant station and exploiting locally. There's also applicability for DSSing bodies in FC- aided exploration.

@Jmanis thank you. I will probably try it in the near future. I will say that I’m not expecting to use it much if at all. Basically this is because I rarely find myself needing to go beyond a few thousand LS, and I absolutely abhor swapping modules - so much so that I have several times built and fully engineered nearly identical ships to make swapping modules unnecessary.

Regarding the distance thing, I seem to always pretty easily find close alternatives that don’t require long SC waits. At this point I’m mainly thinking what hulls/loadouts would would work best with this new capability. I’ll definitely experiment before committing to any new builds, but maybe I could make some kind of general short range mission runnner python or something like that; but it still feels like a solution in search of a problem to me.

Anyway, thanks for the response and if I ever find a viable niche use for SCO then I’ll follow up here with results.

It makes a big difference getting to Titans. My first trip to Oya, I got interdicted probably 7 or 8 times. After that, I decided to try it out, and managed to get there with just one introduction, in probably 2 minutes compared to closer to 15. Not always viable, but really nice when it is.

@Jmanis Honest question, because I do respect your opinions:

Please elaborate, because I’m not seeing anything more than saving a bit of time in gravity wells at the expense of gimping jump range.

Well if there are 7 or 8 moons around a gas giant I want to record the bio of I would say a bio runner with SCO would save me maybe 30 minutes of running around in and out of gravity wells. It's a niche usage that's for sure , but I can see it being a big time saver in large systems with a lot of planets/moons that you want to scan or land on.

Top Bottom