General / Off-Topic Your Favourite Quotes

I love quotes, when they are not misquoted. ;)

What are your favourites?

quote-if-you-want-to-know-who-controls-you-look-at-who-you-are-not-allowed-to-criticize-voltaire-131-67-56.jpg

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.”​ - Thomas Jefferson

Not so intelligent but tasty:
Chocolate doesn't solve any problems. But an apple doesn't either ...

Looks like a misquote from Mark Twain:
“Find a job you enjoy doing, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
;)

Its much older than Mark Twain and has appeared in many forms.

"Many quotes attributed to certain people are often incorrect" - picommander

I have a bunch I keep on file:

“The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”-John Ehrlichman

"Science. It works, <expletive redacted>." - Richard Dawkins

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”- Barry Goldwater

"I still believe in genius. But, for better or worse, all geniuses have to work their asses off." -Penn Gillette

"If you go home with somebody, and they don't have books, don't <expletive redacted> 'em!" - John Waters

"We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men." E. R. Murrow

“As people do better, they start voting like Republicans - unless they have too much education and vote Democratic, which proves there can be too much of a good thing” - Karl Rove

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone." - John Keynes

“Ridicule is the Burden of Genius.” - Daffy Duck

"I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you." - T-Shirt

“We are in the process of creating what deserves to be called the idiot culture. Not an idiot sub-culture, which every society has bubbling beneath the surface and which can provide harmless fun; but the culture itself. For the first time, the weird and the stupid and the coarse are becoming our cultural norm, even our cultural ideal.” Carl Bernstein

“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” Sinclair Lewis
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
These two are either large paraphrases or of questionable origin...I still like the sentiment:

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King Jr.

“Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.” - Ben Franklin

Last edited:
One of my favorite quote worthy people was Al Capone
"Be careful who you call your friends I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies."
"You can do more with a kind word and a gun than just a kind word"
"Some call it bootlegging, some call it racketeering. I call it a business"

"After discovering that the people of the Universe were rather unhappy with their Universe, God set out to make sure they understood He hadn't purposefully tried to screw with them. And so He wrote the following message on a mountain for anybody within range to see. The message went as follows:

WE APOLOGISE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.

The message eventually became a tourist attraction."

Douglas Adams

Top Bottom