Your Local Zoo

My favorite local "zoo" is Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. I live closer to the Central Florida Zoo, Animal Kingdom, and SeaWorld, and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses but, Busch Gardens was always that magical place growing up for me. The park combines my love of theme parks and animals in a perfect way. This park, along with Animal Kingdom, are the main reasons I always tend to build with highly themed areas and storytelling galore. I used to love Rhino Ralley, an old ride the hide that drove you through the animals and eventually lead you to river rapids. I love their large expansive Serenghetti Plains which take up almost half of the park. There are views of the plains from almost the whole park. They have a bunch of up-close animal encounters and there's almost always an animal on every corner. Recently they seem to not be putting as much focus into adding animal experiences and prefer to add more rides (as the rest of the SeaWorld company is doing). A part of me is devasted that these cost-reducing measures are making the park look more generic and not as story-driven as it once was. (If you want that go to Animal Kingdom).

View attachment 251242View attachment 251243View attachment 251244View attachment 251247View attachment 251246View attachment 251245
I too go to Animal Kingdom quite often and it is a great place to observe animals. While there are rides and shows...I do really like the animals the best there. Always make time to take them in.

I too go to Animal Kingdom quite often and it is a great place to observe animals. While there are rides and shows...I do really like the animals the best there. Always make time to take them in.
For sure. They’re the perfect example of a high budget zoo with extensive theming

My local Zoo is a small privat family zoo in Braunschweig. I haven't been there often, don't know why, it would only be a 20 minute drive.
they have some smaller animal species there, such as otters, beavers, porcupines, but also siberian tigers and cheetahs.
my favorit animal here is the kokkaburra.

the other zoo, where i go much more often, is the "erlebniszoo hannover", about 45 minutes by car from my home.
i really like how the zoo has changed over the past few years. when i was little, the animal enclosures were desolate and much too small. the polar bears walked back and forth on their tiny rocks and showed compulsive behavior and I can still remember the hippo house very clearly, how dirty and stinky it was there.

Fortunately, the needs of the animals are taken care of today much more than just exhibiting them. My father still shies away from zoos, but they have changed so much and make a big contribution to species protection.
A few years ago the zoo came under fire because one of the elephant keepers would have hit his animals with the elephanthook because she couldn't hear. I'm not exactly sure what happened to the story, I think it has been refuted.
What i really like is the monkey mountain and the asian elephant enclosure. The last time i was there in the summer of 2018 (my goodness, it has been for so long) i could have watched the animals for hours. In the next few years the elephant enclosure is to be expanded to the rear.
As far as I know, they participate in the breeding programm of the north chinese leopard, they are so beautiful animals.
Oh and what I really like is the timberwolf enclosure in the background are running caribous and it looks as if both species live together.
My favorite animals there are the prairie dogs, they are so funny and somehow always very busy.

What i don't like ... the polar bears. The enclosure is really nicely designed and looks pretty big too. But for me polar bears are one of the animals that shouldn't be kept in the zoo (purely by feeling). At the end of 2019 a polar bear baby Nana was born.

My local zoo now is Yorkshire Wildlife Park. For my money, after the improvements of the last few years it's the best zoo in England. Massive enclosures, great animal selection including Polar Bears, Binturongs, Red Pandas and, my favourites, Giant Otters. The Otters have a baby at the moment and it is adorable. My favourite zoo will always be London Zoo as I practically lived there when I was a kid.
YWP.jpg

My local Zoo is the Zoological Garden in Leipzig, Germany.
It has the "Gondwanaland" which is one of europe's biggest indoor rainforest halls (according to Wikipedia it's actually the second largest in the world), housing komodo dragons, tomistomas, giant otters, malayan tapirs, ocelots, and many more, some of which are completely free roaming.
cuddy5ri.jpg

The Zoo Leipzig also features a hymalaya area with snow leopards and red pandas, an elephant temple with indian elephants, an area dedicated to great apes (Pongoland) and a big savannah area for africa.
pamoo7sk.jpg

rpusqk7e.jpg

e4b6fz6s.jpg

qtxuveto.jpg

There are a quite some mixed exhibits. The cheetahs for example live together with black rhinos and patas monkeys. The monkeys are a bit seperated from the other to, but still part of the enclosure (like an enclosure inside an enclosure) and while cheetahs and rhinos share the habitat together, the rhinos also have seperated places just for them.

It was really nice seeing the evolution of this zoo, especially because a lot of animals where held in cages for quite a long time. So seeing how they improved all this over the years was quite the experience. 😁
Right now they renovate the aquarium and expand the south american area for the seals and penguins, which will include an underwater glass tunnel. Can't wait too see it.

The Zoo Leipzig also makes a big effort for conservation and breeding of animals.

The only critic I would have, is that some habitats apear to be on the smaller side (like the elephant temple).
But all in all I think it's a really great zoo.

My local zoo now is Yorkshire Wildlife Park. For my money, after the improvements of the last few years it's the best zoo in England. Massive enclosures, great animal selection including Polar Bears, Binturongs, Red Pandas and, my favourites, Giant Otters. The Otters have a baby at the moment and it is adorable. My favourite zoo will always be London Zoo as I practically lived there when I was a kid.
View attachment 251464

I live 40min from Doncaster and was trying to find good photo of polar bears. We're going to the queen night in August. We have yet to see the baby otter properly. Last time we went it still wasn't allowed in the bigger enclosure but a week later was let out.

My local zoo is Colchester Zoo. It is one of the largest zoos in the UK and is often considered to be one of the best. Some things I like about the place include its very comprehensive mammal collection (probably one of the strongest in Britain, with at least 55 on-show wild mammal species) and its very strong commitment to conservation - at the moment it is supporting seventeen different projects around the world, as well as running its own nature reserve (closed to all but volunteers and researchers) in South Africa, which has returned degraded farmland to nature, released sixteen different species including giraffes, zebras, ostriches and eight species of antelope and encouraged the natural return of leopards, spotted hyenas, honey badgers, baboons and crocodiles.

My one main gripe with Colchester is that, for their mammal collection to be so big, there have to be sacrifices. In this case it is birds, of which there are only 16 species in the entire zoo. Most of these are larger birds such as ostriches, Darwin's rheas, two groups of Humboldt penguins, two species of Asian hornbills, four species of vulture and condor, two species of crane, great grey owls, Victoria crowned pigeons and Chilean flamingos. The smaller birds are represented only by a rainbow lorikeet walkthrough aviary and a small display for weaverbirds.

Despite its flaws, I love going there and am always looking forward to my next visit.

My local zoo is Colchester Zoo. It is one of the largest zoos in the UK and is often considered to be one of the best. Some things I like about the place include its very comprehensive mammal collection (probably one of the strongest in Britain, with at least 55 on-show wild mammal species) and its very strong commitment to conservation - at the moment it is supporting seventeen different projects around the world, as well as running its own nature reserve (closed to all but volunteers and researchers) in South Africa, which has returned degraded farmland to nature, released sixteen different species including giraffes, zebras, ostriches and eight species of antelope and encouraged the natural return of leopards, spotted hyenas, honey badgers, baboons and crocodiles.

My one main gripe with Colchester is that, for their mammal collection to be so big, there have to be sacrifices. In this case it is birds, of which there are only 16 species in the entire zoo. Most of these are larger birds such as ostriches, Darwin's rheas, two groups of Humboldt penguins, two species of Asian hornbills, four species of vulture and condor, two species of crane, great grey owls, Victoria crowned pigeons and Chilean flamingos. The smaller birds are represented only by a rainbow lorikeet walkthrough aviary and a small display for weaverbirds.

Despite its flaws, I love going there and am always looking forward to my next visit.
We visited Colchester last September for the first time and wish to visit again when everything is back to normal. There was a lot of one way systems (great for covid) and being our first visit we struggled to make our way round and go back to places we missed. Hopefully we will be back soon

I grew up very spoiled with the Cincinnati Zoo, and having the Newport Aquarium just across the river. Basically got to see Sumatran rhinos whenever I wanted to growing up. I'm super excited for the new Asian Elephant trek, it's going to be really immersive. They're even moving one of the gibbon populations there, and getting some small-clawed otters (I believe only NA river otters are displayed atm). Also, I think Night Hunters is one of the best nocturnal houses in the country.

Top Bottom