Zoopark Ilmenau

Hello zoo keepers,

I would like to introduce you to my new project.
It's a mind game: in my hometown Ilmenau there is a larger factory where porcelain goods were produced until 2002. Since then, the area has been largely unused and some of the buildings are collapsing. The city government is debating whether to demolish the site and rededicate it.

I have taken up this idea. What could a zoo look like on the factory grounds and the surrounding woodland?

I would like to integrate individual buildings of the factory - especially the gatehouse and the factory shop - into the zoo.
I will use the original topography of the area.

I have recreated the adjacent residential buildings, and the forecourt has been redesigned.

About the zoo:

The zoo should have a modern look, besides the animals I also want to bring out landscape elements in the zoo. I plan to have 20-25 animal species, tendecally, but not exclusively smaller species. I would like to make the zoo as realistic as possible.

First I would like to show you a few pictures of the originals and the replicas in Planet Zoo:

An overview
Übersicht.jpg

The gatehouse/zoo entrance
Eingang.jpg

The residential buildings
Plattenbau.jpg

Wow! I don't have enough patience to do anything like that! It looks awesome! I love the spiral structure on the roundabout (y)
The spiral is quite easy to build.

It is the round metal rods from the Australia Pack strung together.

I rotated it 30° before placing the next object.

A small update:

The zoo has been given its name. "Henneberg" is an old aristocratic family that ruled over the city for many centuries. The hen is still the heraldic animal of the city.
Ilmenau011.jpg

Furthermore, the entrance area is finished and the ticket and souvenir shop have their interiors.

The plushies in the gift shop are from "Cryptid ceates".
I can highly recommend them:

Ilmenau007.jpg
Ilmenau006.jpg

Ilmenau008.jpg
Ilmenau009.jpg
Ilmenau010.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom