Have Vista Genomics gone mad?

So, I held onto Exobiology data, awaiting the forthcoming payment buff.

Today I cashed it in, trading in around 25 Million credits worth (In old money, so to speak).

My conclusion: The system is broken! I was previously at 19% on Elite (No numbers), now I'm a fully rated Elite V.

The numbers don't make any sense. Previously, best expectations between Elite rankings I to V was 250 million credits per rank (440 million credits, on the wiki).

These are the figures of my transaction. I watched it very closely:

My credit balance beforehand: 20,539,765,814

Value of Exobiology-Data Sold: 545,437,585

Expected Total afterwards should have been: 21,085,203,399

However, instead it was: 21,630,640,984 Which means Vista Genomics paid me: 1,090,875,170 for the Exo-Data, twice their listed amount... Which still shouldn't be enough to reach maximum at Elite V.

Quite disappointed really. I enjoyed the experience. However now, even the most common of bacteria on any old moon or planet is worth more than mapping a Decent sized Terraformable HMC World...

And heaven forfend seeing a biological Stratum signal on a HMC World, where the same system has an Earth-like World... The Stratum is worth more than three times as much as that gorgeous Earth-like planet...

Pay me a nice bonus for scanning all the Biologicals on a Moon/Planet, or better yet, every single Biological in a system.

Balance is needed, I believe.

Safe travels, Commanders.

Attachments

• 20221202090518_1.jpg
    20221202090518_1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
So, I held onto Exobiology data, awaiting the forthcoming payment buff.

Today I cashed it in, trading in around 25 Million credits worth (In old money, so to speak).

My conclusion: The system is broken! I was previously at 19% on Elite (No numbers), now I'm a fully rated Elite V.

The numbers don't make any sense. Previously, best expectations between Elite rankings I to V was 250 million credits per rank (440 million credits, on the wiki).

These are the figures of my transaction. I watched it very closely:

My credit balance beforehand: 20,539,765,814

Value of Exobiology-Data Sold: 545,437,585

Expected Total afterwards should have been: 21,085,203,399

However, instead it was: 21,630,640,984 Which means Vista Genomics paid me: 1,090,875,170 for the Exo-Data, twice their listed amount... Which still shouldn't be enough to reach maximum at Elite V.

Quite disappointed really. I enjoyed the experience. However now, even the most common of bacteria on any old moon or planet is worth more than mapping a Decent sized Terraformable HMC World...

And heaven forfend seeing a biological Stratum signal on a HMC World, where the same system has an Earth-like World... The Stratum is worth more than three times as much as that gorgeous Earth-like planet...

Pay me a nice bonus for scanning all the Biologicals on a Moon/Planet, or better yet, every single Biological in a system.

Balance is needed, I believe.

Safe travels, Commanders.
Where many of them first discovery's? if so they dont show in the initial profit screen i dont think

A very astute observation, my friend!

Balance is a word that hasn't been taken seriously since even before Frontier failed to act on the Seeking Luxuries USS exploit. The crazy levels of income which used to feel like exploits have been normalized and then multiplied tenfold or more.
I'm afraid you're out of luck, that's how Frontier have always done things.

Balance is a word that hasn't been taken seriously since even before Frontier failed to act on the Seeking Luxuries USS exploit. The crazy levels of income which used to feel like exploits have been normalized and then multiplied tenfold or more.
I'm afraid you're out of luck, that's how Frontier have always done things.
Many thanks for your insight, my friend.

I'm an explorer, and always have been. I'm unaware of the USS exploit.

I just want the numbers to make sense! I'm currently a fake Elite V! And that es me off!

You look after yourself, and again, thanks.

AMONG THE VARIOUS UNFOUNDED HYPOTHESES OF RUPEE NOON

I think you're safer hunting thargoids anyway. They're bating explorers with credits and rank. And when the osseums revolt, they'll be zeroing in on credits the way a thargoid goes for a sensor fragment.

And they'll kill ya in one hit if you don't engineer damage resistance into your artemis. Melt your Diamondback with caustic sap too. And stick its landing gear to a rock with cactoida pitch.

I don't want to skip the whole progression in a single go.

Totally!! Happy to miss out on however many billion credits rather than miss out on enjoying ranking up. If they scaled the ranking to compensate it might be a tougher decision.

Ya know, personally.

AMONG THE VARIOUS UNFOUNDED HYPOTHESES OF RUPEE NOON

I think you're safer hunting thargoids anyway. They're bating explorers with credits and rank. And when the osseums revolt, they'll be zeroing in on credits the way a thargoid goes for a sensor fragment.

And they'll kill ya in one hit if you don't engineer damage resistance into your artemis. Melt your Diamondback with caustic sap too. And stick its landing gear to a rock with cactoida pitch.

Totally!! Happy to miss out on however many billion credits rather than miss out on enjoying ranking up. If they scaled the ranking to compensate it might be a tougher decision.

Ya know, personally.
We are on a very similar wavelength, my friend!

I agree and don't agree. Exo Biology didnt award enough and it wasn't engaging whatsoever. Since the pay greatly increased ive enjoyed doing it. Whats the point of wanting to grind to Elite, its not as if it comes with any rewards.
Not to mention it's far more annoying and time consuming then just scanning planets, the payout shouldn't be much lower than it is now if it's to stay worth it. Most planets I don't even find all the biological signals before just finding another planet, it can feel tedious at times.

Before these recent threads I didn't think people were lined up to grind exobiology for hours and then complain that they can't, so I suppose the ranking scale can be adjusted. But credits wise we already have other mind numbing things in the game that pay just as much if not more. Leave my poor plants alone and just make the UI accurately reflect what you get.

Last edited:
I'd been torn on whether to take advantage of this while it lasted but hell, I don't want to skip the whole progression in a single go. Think I'll avoid and continue to explore the new Thargoid war content. Thanks for letting us know!
Yes, I don't want my ranking to go that fast, I'll stay away from exobiology until this has been somewhat nerfed. I was already somewhat miffed at going from Elite to Elite V in the recent tritium hauling CG (though the credits are always welcome).

Yes, I don't want my ranking to go that fast, I'll stay away from exobiology until this has been somewhat nerfed. I was already somewhat miffed at going from Elite to Elite V in the recent tritium hauling CG (though the credits are always welcome).
Completely understand. Indeed, it took me months, at my own pace, and enjoying the journey, to reach reach Exobiology Elite 19%...

I went up two levels in Trade due to that CG and I barely did any hauling. I think I made one major haul in my T9 and that was enough to rank up twice.

For me the goal was Elite, I don't really care about the higher ones so didn't fret too much about gaining trade ranks so quickly, but I'd hate to make Elite in exobio in just a few hours, wouldn't feel right somehow...

Still I proudly display the 3xElite on my ships, I earned that one the hard way :)

For me the goal was Elite, I don't really care about the higher ones so didn't fret too much about gaining trade ranks so quickly, but I'd hate to make Elite in exobio in just a few hours, wouldn't feel right somehow...

Still I proudly display the 3xElite on my ships, I earned that one the hard way :)
As an Explorer who barely does any Trade, I was wanting to get to Elite in Exploration first. Thankfully I did this but I could easily have got Elite in Trade purely due to that CG. I'm glad I stopped. I'm only one rank away from Trade Elite now.
Also, I do want to gain Elite in Exobiology next, as after Exploration of Systems, it's the second activity I do most, so it makes sense that I gain Elite in it.
With the now current credit increase and the broken ranks, I'm now reluctant to hand in any Exobiology data because I'll end up gaining Elite without much effort and would also skip a rank doing so.

I like the slow rank increase of Exobiology (and Exploration to an extent) as I get a sense of achievement out of it.

I'd also like to see a credit increase when scanning Fumeroles, Vents and Geysers. I often just don't bother, as I think you only get 25,000 Credits. Yes they're common but 25,000 to scan them isn't really much at all compared to other scans. It'd also give me an incentive to go and look for them. It'd also give Commanders more of a reason to get First Footfall on ice planets with Vents, Geysers and Fumeroles if the payout was more.

Last edited:
Where many of them first discovery's? if so they dont show in the initial profit screen i dont think
I just sold five species (first discovery) in Colonia, got about 52 million credits. Weirdly, one rank increase when selling at the booth, then after embarking on my ship a second rank increase popped up (taxonomist). Not sure why the second one took so long to process.

C'mon, we were told this is content! They didn't count previous experience so we could all experience this glorious content! Are you not entertained! Bunch of ingrates! :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom