Remember when NPCs got faces about 5 years ago...

The report is at 8 confirmations and will probably expire in the next day or so - but if you take the time to add to it then we’ll find out whether the face-loss is a space saving measure (the report would get a “by design” status) or is in fact a genuine bug (the report would get a green Acknowledgement tick).

The comms panel could do with a bit of uniqueness to the NPC messages, and I miss seeing the faces next to the ship picture in the Contacts tab.
E9AA9DD4-7BF1-4885-A0AE-9F1DE0961C39.jpeg

It’s really down to the wire now - it’s at nine confirmations and is probably going to expire today unless someone spends a few moments to get it across the line - like, it takes the same amount of time to write a forum post as it does to add a confirmation.

Will you be The One?

😁

It’s really down to the wire now - it’s at nine confirmations and is probably going to expire today unless someone spends a few moments to get it across the line - like, it takes the same amount of time to write a forum post as it does to add a confirmation.

Will you be The One?

😁
Not me. I refuse to use the popularity meter.

This is beyond sad. Players (customers) should really not have to waste their time hunting for confirmations and votes just to get an issue fixed - only to have it expire so FDev don't really have to do anything in the end.
If Elite was brought inline with FDev’s other games and only required 3 extra confirmations, it’d be a much less onerous task.

Having one of my VR reports expire earlier today with 9 confirmations was a bit galling, but to have this issue expire despite apparently meeting the 10 unique Confirmation requirement - 🤬

Were the faces generated and presented in-game to the player on the fly or generated and stored on Frontier's servers? Lots and lots of PNG (I surmise?) take up lots and lots of valuable space.
Before the last update portraits would randomly be chests, legs or feet instead of faces. I think that's a pretty good indication that they are generated locally on-the-fly.

Thanks for keeping on this one.
NPCs are already pretty disconnected and lifeless, and seeing the portrait just removed entirely really makes them feel like even more distant entities.
Added a confirmation

Hopefully this is settled by the time they ship the new thing with the sticker price. It doesn't break the game, but stuff like this looks quite bad in that kind of scenario. Also, for people who have played 1000 hours, you don't notice this much, but this takes more away from a newer player.

I'm gonna necro this and say that I added another confirmation. Still need 2 more confirmations to prevent the issue from expiring.

I can't believe that their "solution" to the cloned woman flying all over the galaxy was to just remove all portraits.. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
In before "not having pictures in Comms or Contacts is more realistic, so it's a feature, not a bug". Issue closed.
Beware, i got a warning for impersonation the last time i parodied a FDev's "bug-ignore" communication. It looks like it's getting hard to tell the difference between an official com and a parody 🤭

Top Bottom