Remember when NPCs got faces about 5 years ago...

...and then they all got the same face (or just the helmet) in Odyssey?

I reported this through Issue Tracker and eventually the issue was marked as "fixed" (https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/47741) in a recent Update.

This is what I currently see in Odyssey: no faces/helmets at all in the Comms panel and no faces/helmets at all in the Contacts tab. Checking Horizons, all I see is the generic helmet image for all NPCs.

So...is this a fixed bug that has become unfixed in a recent Update, or is this something FDev "fixed" by just removing the feature entirely?

There is an issue report from another player who is apparently still seeing the generic face/helmet images, but it only has 5 confirmations so far and is in danger of expiring in the next day or two. Please, please spend a few moments to add a confirmation to the report - either we'll get the problem sorted (yay!) or find out that removal of a five year old feature was the intended fix (boo!) (y)

Edit: new issue report - https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/51166

Last edited:
After spending some time to observe the effects of the issue while weighing-up the costs to resolve it, we have decided to focus those resources elsewhere. Reducing or preventing the repeating face effect would require a deep-overhaul of fundamental systems, which in turn would disrupt other aspects of the game. This would inevitably take time away from developing and improving other elements such as performance, bug fixes, and new content. We cannot justify this level of change and a re-generation of the face in Elite. This is unlikely to change in the future so the issue will be closed, freeing up votes on the tracker for other issues.
🤷‍♂️

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
...and then they all got the same face (or just the helmet) in Odyssey?

I reported this through Issue Tracker and eventually the issue was marked as "fixed" (https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/47741) in a recent Update.

This is what I currently see in Odyssey: no faces/helmets at all in the Comms panel and no faces/helmets at all in the Contacts tab. Checking Horizons, all I see is the generic helmet image for all NPCs.

So...is this a fixed bug that has become unfixed in a recent Update, or is this something FDev "fixed" by just removing the feature entirely?

There is an issue report from another player who is apparently still seeing the generic face/helmet images, but it only has 5 confirmations so far and is in danger of expiring in the next day or two. Please, please spend a few moments to add a confirmation to the report - either we'll get the problem sorted (yay!) or find out that removal of a five year old feature was the intended fix (boo!) (y)

It's a bug that was meant to be fixed, but apparently wasn't.

Ironically, the same thing seems to be happening with the forums :ROFLMAO:

QIAhyw3.jpg

It's a bug that was meant to be fixed, but apparently wasn't.

Ironically, the same thing seems to be happening with the forums :ROFLMAO:

QIAhyw3.jpg
Your face has gone too!

And I can no longer upload pictures - forum shenanigans are afoot after the recent “upgrade” 😂

Hopefully if we can get some confirmations, we can all get our faces back 👍

Images are reporting
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>0JD4B9YMTTP19EJQ</RequestId>
<HostId>9tSa9OfEOHaBFFs8xAr5GWOdxXMPr05+ti2RI6KshpkTtom1VqolNMymkhgn255A5xnoW3m6mEM=</HostId>
</Error>

I guess someone changed some permissions on the server - perhaps the same area some in-game images are pulled from?

Stop a running-gag that only requires changing two words to work with anything ? Hell no !!
I’m trying to get confirmations on a rapidly expiring issue report and having what looks like an official quote posted as the first reply…is less than helpful.

Hopefully no one read your post and decided not to contribute to the report as a result 😅

If anything, it's gotten worse. Carrier crew all got homogenized, and it wasn't even for a good reason since they are nowhere to be seen in interiors.

I’m trying to get confirmations on a rapidly expiring issue report and having what looks like an official quote posted as the first reply…is less than helpful.

Hopefully no one read your post and decided not to contribute to the report as a result 😅
I added to the report but I don’t expect too much from FDev.

They also promised pinning blueprints from Odyssey engineers (twice) and you can see for yourself what we have.
Not to mention tons of confirmed bugs that are kept unresloved or bugs that keep reoccurring.
Fingers crossed for this one though.

Edit: it, I added one more confirmation from my alt account. “By any means necessary“, eh?

Last edited:
Yep, I noticed that one a while ago as well, and put an issue tracker out for it again recently.
And mentioned the pictures back in January.

After seeing faces removed entirely, I had a strong feeling they would just slap the "fixed" label on it and move on.
I'm concerned that I might be right in saying it's just laziness.
"We've decided to focus out resources elsewhere" seems like the theme with Odyssey these days.
Where "elsewhere" is? Who knows...

so bit off the track here, but is the so-called lipsync in this category too, as in "fixed" (trademarketed, registered and copyrighted by FD..)?

I am petty enough to bitterly remember how a few of us complained that the portrait column wasted space in the chat window... only for the same portrait to later become doubly useless, by for the longest time only ever showing the same one single photo -- guess its addition wasn't that important to whoever so adamantly wanted it, after all. :p

On an adjacent note: I take it others also still frequently get a lot of closeups of sections of wall, in station menu portraits? :7

This is one of the weird ones. Frontier came up with a pretty good face generator. I'd think with some planning and judicious RNG (something they clearly love) we could've got a nice variety of faces. And yet, we're stuck with the same one for NPCs and the same handful for various professions. 🤷‍♂️

This is one of the weird ones. Frontier came up with a pretty good face generator. I'd think with some planning and judicious RNG (something they clearly love) we could've got a nice variety of faces. And yet, we're stuck with the same one for NPCs and the same handful for various professions. 🤷‍♂️
Thing is, it used to work 😁

If this issue report gets enough confirmations, we may get it working again 👍

Edit: …and we’ve got approximately the rest of the weekend to get another 3 or 4 contributions.

Were the faces generated and presented in-game to the player on the fly or generated and stored on Frontier's servers? Lots and lots of PNG (I surmise?) take up lots and lots of valuable space.

That's a good question.
Though the portraits have been there since before Odyssey, and were working in Horizons, and never seemed to be taxing if it was on the frontier server side.

Top Bottom