Remember when NPCs got faces about 5 years ago...

Hasn't that same trope been in circulation since the year ED launched?
Yes, that's true and it's still alive. However, lately the signs are pointing towards the end.
Almost everyone who promised something has already left. Not much really new is happening anymore.
Updates take longer and include fewer bug fixes.
There are no more major announcements.
It has become quiet in the forum.

However, lately the signs are pointing towards the end.
Another common trait here, surely?
Almost everyone who promised something has already left.
Who promised what?
Indeed, it is becoming an echo chamber of doomsters, I noticed that!

The game has been going 10 years already... would it really matter if it was retired? Surely that would be pleasing for those who have predicted "EOL" for so long - they would actually be right for once!

Yes, that's true and it's still alive. However, lately the signs are pointing towards the end.
Almost everyone who promised something has already left. Not much really new is happening anymore.
Updates take longer and include fewer bug fixes.
There are no more major announcements.
When there are only 12 people logging into the forum ... THEN the forum will be quiet.
sigh ... those were the days :D

This one has been really frustrating to watch.
NPCs in comms had portraits,
around the Odyssey release those portraits all turned into identical images of this doofus, or the default black helmet:

20220123201211_1.jpg

I put in an issue tracker, back in June 2022:
which obviously got ignored and expired per usual issue tracker procedure.

But before that, this one was up since February 2022:
And would you look at that, they "fixed" it ... by just right-click deleted the jpegs entirely from comms...
Though, I think I've still seen NPC pictures in the contacts panel, and possibly still see a few every now and then in the comms panel...the same identic, derpy picture ....

There's just a lot of little things that have continued to be tiny issues and/or nuisances and they just sit there ignored like dishes in the sink.
Just frustrating. :(

They didn't just straight up delete them. The portrait generation developed a camera bug so the NPCs would appear as chests, feet and other random body parts. They fixed that problem by getting rid of the randomization and using a static image.

Nothing like a good doom thread!

The poor black knights who say ni must be frustrated by recent interest in the thargoid war, and announced future updates. Still it's a good position to take, as no matter how long they are wrong, at some point in the future they will finally be vindicated.

Nah, just Schattenmacher randomly riding through yelling "doooom!".

Back on topic:
It's these little things that just sort of remain and then get swept under the rug that are so annoying.
The "key feature overhaul" update 15 is on the horizon, but I don't have high expectations at all.
What I'd really like to see is FDev doing some maintenance work on these long-standing minor issues.
There seems to be so much focus on the onwards and upwards, new content, improve recently relevant mechanics, and then you have the Issue Tracker which is just a recycling bin for player's submitted logs of bugs and issues.
It's just discouraging that FDev has a bug-reporting system but it's just not being put to much use.

Nah, just Schattenmacher randomly riding through yelling "doooom!".

Back on topic:
It's these little things that just sort of remain and then get swept under the rug that are so annoying.
The "key feature overhaul" update 15 is on the horizon, but I don't have high expectations at all.
What I'd really like to see is FDev doing some maintenance work on these long-standing minor issues.
There seems to be so much focus on the onwards and upwards, new content, improve recently relevant mechanics, and then you have the Issue Tracker which is just a recycling bin for player's submitted logs of bugs and issues.
It's just discouraging that FDev has a bug-reporting system but it's just not being put to much use.
They did try that once with Beyond. Not much was fixed in the end and we still have some ancient bugs with us.
But I personally would love to see something like this again - a little (or big) tidying up of the code + fixing the most glaring issues.
But we have Thargoids now so…

They did try that once with Beyond. Not much was fixed in the end and we still have some ancient bugs with us.
But I personally would love to see something like this again - a little (or big) tidying up of the code + fixing the most glaring issues.
But we have Thargoids now so…

...so the "bugs" are now a feature. ;)

Here's some Anti-Doom. The reason you often don't fix bugs in big projects is because you'll be doing a big move that will either rewrite or refactor the code the bug lives in. So there's no point in spending time hunting and fixing a bug if it's just going to get overidden like a change in the time-line. If you're fixing bugs it means the code's never changing so you should sanitize what you've got. So no bug fixes is actually a sign that the project is still alive and ongoing. 😁 ;)

I’m a black knight who’s started a Doom thread now? Well that’s a first! 😅

But if you’re cool with something that used to work in the game being broken and then completely removed instead of fixing it, 👍 to you.
Looking back through the thread my comment was probably directed at Schattenmacher's contribution and not directly at you.

Personally I'm resigned about the bug fixing process and just get on with playing the game within the constraints of bugs and strange functionality.

Top Bottom