Update 18 Release Schedule | Monday 26 February 2024

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So other than AX stuff and possibly a ship I can't try right away (i'm deep in the black exploring) is there anything else that might be in this 30GB patch?

Not even a ship as far as the patch notes go, but maybe it's actually been put in as a surprise.

Why would an update delete the journal files? There are so many game mechanics that depend on that data, like engineer unlocks or the rank system. Deleting this data would make no sense.
I only mentioned the journal files because I was talking about making a travel history video and that is what is actually used to do this (not the visited star data cache as I mistakenly wrote on my original comment - see edit).

As others have pointed out, deleting journal files has no effect whatsoever on your commaders overall progress, ranks, engineering etc. which is kept server side.

And also there was one update at some point which wiped/changed the visited star cache files. I can't remember how, perhaps Frontier changed the name or location of the file or how it was structured. I can't remember but I remember people freaking out about it a while ago, hence why I asked this time.

Thanks to all the helpful replies

Last edited:
And also there was one update at some point which wiped/changed the visited star cache files. I can't remember how, perhaps Frontier changed the name or location of the file or how it was structured. I can't remember but I remember people freaking out about it a while ago, hence why I asked this time.
That must have been before my time... Somewhen before April '22...

Had cataract surgery on Friday, and just now decided to fire up ED to see how it looks. The servers are down for an update. Grrrr. Not really, super excited to see what's what.

Yeah that was the infamous "combined visited stars cache" event. People discovered you could combine the visited stars cache from multiple players, all the players who provided it, and thus only visit undiscovered systems in the area you were in. FDEV later changed it so that the visited stars cache couldn't have more systems than the players had actually visited, so they got truncated on the players end, it also messed up the ability to import systems from the journals or EDSM logs so if you lost it you couldn't recreate it, that's still complained about to this day! If you added systems to the end of the cache than all was good, but if you added systems to the beginning you would wave goodbye to your visited stars cache.

wait so all that fuss and no ship in the 30gb update? lol.. This new "Not telling people about what they are doing to build suspense and then not doing anything much at all" strategy is kinda lame. at least i know they wont be cutting the servers off this year.

Yeet

Calm down prince valiant..

So what you are saying is they are also not telling us in the notes what's actually in the patch to build even moar suspense?.. I guess we better hope there is something interesting then or its double lame.

Here's hoping its not that sad.. crying wolf at this point is not a good look. They have our attention for a hot minute only.

So what you are saying is they are also not telling us in the notes what's actually in the patch to build even moar suspense?.. I guess we better hope there is something interesting then or its double lame.
Nah, mate...
You are saying that...
I'm saying that you, just like me, have absolutely no idea what is in that 30GB download until it is on your machine...

You choose to breate Frontier for your own reasons, your choice, I elect to wait and see, and expect nothing more than the patch notes imply, unlike some others here who allude it to the "second coming" 🤷‍♂️

Ohh no i just asked a question as I heard elite was doing something interesting, now you set me straight im going right back to not giving AF..

Ohh no i just asked a question as I heard elite was doing something interesting, now you set me straight im going right back to not giving AF..
thumbs up.gif

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom