Update 18 Release Schedule | Monday 26 February 2024

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
No patch notes
Just bother to read the post. Or, you know, remember any of the many previous updates where patch notes were always released the moment that server downtime for the update started.
AT APPROXIMATELY 08:00 UTC – Elite Dangerous 'LIVE/4.0' Servers will go offline. Update notes will be available soon after.

Yes, I may be annoyed. Blatant lack of reading on display has a tendency to.

Such a substantial update surely means a more meaningful overhaul than some tacked on assets, right Frontier?
insert stupid Anakin Padme meme here

30GB is not exceptional for some of the games in my library.
Then again, 30 GB is bigger than some other games entirely, such is life.

Pre-Horizons Elite: Dangerous was ~5GB total and even 3.8 is still sub-20GB.

Baldur's Gate 3 is 140GB. Starfield is 120GB. However, even these bloated titles aren't as bad, proportionally speaking, in terms of cost of storage and the like.

I remember doing a full install of Daggerfall (~450MB) back when HDD space was over $0.50/MB (in FY1996 Dollars), and not even being able to do a full install of the original Baldur's Gate a few years later because it was five CDs (about 3GB) which was more than total capacity of the average HDD in 1998.

Easy there, partner. Money trees haven't flourished yet everywhere...

Money trees are everywhere, it's just that few are fortunate enough to have inherited or stolen one and their seeds have been patented, trademarked, and copyrighted.

Anyway, with 1TB SSDs being available for sub-50GBP/EUR/USD, 30GB of storage shouldn't be terribly problematic even for the masses forced to subsist on the trickle down dregs.

Aren't they so old now, they are starting to be worth something? ... And not just to people awaiting the apocalypse?

Dial-up modems aren't worth much of anything as they have negligible utility, even for retro enthusiasts.

Some other parts are getting pretty pricey though. My retro PC with a Voodoo 4 4500, AWE 64 Gold, and Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 rev B has a higher resale value than my main RTX 4090 build and I'd probably kill someone (if no one was looking) for a mint condition late Socket 478, Socket A, or S754 board that has DDR DIMM slots, an AGP slot, and a bus mastered ISA slot.

30GB incoming!:LOL:
str.jpg

Some other parts are getting pretty pricey though. My retro PC with a Voodoo 4 4500, AWE 64 Gold, and Aureal Vortex 2 SQ2500 rev B has a higher resale value than my main RTX 4090 build and I'd probably kill someone (if no one was looking) for a mint condition late Socket 478, Socket A, or S754 board that has DDR DIMM slots, an AGP slot, and a bus mastered ISA slot.

Such memories bring back those names.
I never had a Voodoo 4 (by the time they were out, i was getting really disillusioned with 3DFX and their apparent lack of vision for the future), but i did had a Voodoo2 followed by a Voodoo 3 3000 and i also had both the AWE 64 gold and the Vortex 2

Apart from my very first computer, the Amstrad CPC6128, my very first 286XT/25MHz custom made compatible pc came with a 107Mb HD. The seller was astonished when I chose such a large drive.
Is still keeps my feet on the ground when I remember where I started from and how far we've come.
Nice. Your avatar keeps reminding me of my first computer. The Amstrad CPC 464. Green screen monitor cassette edition. 'read error b' and all that. Though I definitely never copied any games on a double tape deck.

It wasn't until my next computer that I got to really enjoy Elite II on the Atari ST.

30GB?
Maybe it is time for me to get rid of my 56k modem...

A valuable antique like that? I remember when they were everywhere, and now you ever see them at all, doesn't rarity increase value? I hear an AOL CD sold for a lot of money a while back, I bet if you wait another 50 or so years our new AI overlords would give you an extra meal or two for one of those! They'd be like archeologists unearthing a skeleton of ancient man, a museum piece for sure!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom