Powerplay 2.0 deep dive - Frontier Live 27th March

Visual changes for "states" was stuff asked numerous times. They carefully avoided info about PP mechanics for now ... but it seems like there is more obvious pattern of doing changes from "things happens in text, nothing to see in game" to "things happens visible in game".

Last edited:
Vending machines?
On all the concourses - dead easy to find...
IMG_0065.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't resist it...

Very interesting! First off I think this was a very superficial look (given the last minute sub) so I'll reserve judgement.

Firstly having more visual representation of a powers influence on the ground is very nice, and varying based on PPV2 states (and is one extra above factions and their states). Its also great that based on these new states NPCs attitudes and activities will change- perhaps an analogue to the faction states of civil unrest, lockdown etc (where security is high / actively hunts you).

From what I understand there are 4 'stages' of a system (one secret) so this is different to how V1 works. So you go from contested (at borders?) to fortified and then to 'stronghold' (with NPCs behaving in certain ways). I wonder what the other one is? Being Thargoid but Powerplay would suggest that.

The map.....now, as a guess are the 'clouds' influence related? PP V1 had fixed 'bubbles' but what Arthur was suggesting was you 'push outwards'. This might mean activity makes the 'cloud' expand and this is how powers clash- so two clouds envelop a potential system and it becomes contested between the two?

It makes sense you have extra forces in a 'stronghold' so, cool. Maybe these areas are the PvP 'arenas'?

But we need more info really. Much more. Decay, ranks, perks, V1 > V2 transition, differences between powers, how powers expand, what do players actually do, votes (please no!) etc. One thing that did disappoint me was the reuse of the PP leader artwork though.

They have so many easy win things they could mention in relation to powerplay like a single press fill-my-ship-with-merits button or permanent module unlocks, but instead we got a deep dive into station interiors.

It feels a lot like the odyssey launch communication where all the feedback you can give is "oh this looks cool visually", but there's not enough info to give feedback so they can really go off and make some bizarre decisions for the gameplay stuff that will be a complete surprise to the average elite player because of the "how could anyone think this was a good idea" factor. This is the stuff a good dev would try to get feedback on as early as possible instead of trying to spring it on the community as a surprise.

They have so many easy win things they could mention in relation to powerplay like a single press fill-my-ship-with-merits button or permanent module unlocks, but instead we got a deep dive into station interiors.

It feels a lot like the odyssey launch communication where all the feedback you can give is "oh this looks cool visually", but there's not enough info to give feedback so they can really go off and make some bizarre decisions for the gameplay stuff that will be a complete surprise to the average elite player because of the "how could anyone think this was a good idea" factor. This is the stuff a good dev would try to get feedback on as early as possible instead of trying to spring it on the community as a surprise.
Thats if merits still exist. What we really need is Arthur / FD dev going through a loop of what players will do or what they need to do.

Top Bottom