Update 18.02 | Wednesday 10th April

It's actually kind of insanely good for cruising out to your destination, just a cheeky lil boost and you're there, with LE power plant I didn't even need to drop a heatsink for a fairly instant 1.5kly blast.

I didn't manage to test whether it works during interdiction, I whipped through the system so quick they never got chance 😂

You keep talking about "issues" and "solutions", as if supercruise times were some kind of bug.

There are millions of space combat games out there. I'm sure you'll find one that suits your preferences if you search enough, which doesn't have these "issues".
When your best response to acknowledgement of an issue is "go find something else", that in itself is a testament to the problem.

Avoiding problems has been the forte for far too long for far too many of the game's outstanding sore points. Any game community that looks at feedback or criticism of said game and states "go play something else" has been a detriment upon the game experience since the dawn of online gaming.

And no, there aren't "millions" of space combat games out there (not that combat is the only focus of this game, that's another thing you have wrong). None of them yet are par with what Elite achieves with the 1:1 authentic representation of the Milky Way galaxy & humanity's existence 1300 years into the future. (Jury's still out on when SC will ever have the game actually put inside the game...)

Bottom line: I want to enjoy and play Elite, and the design choices that keep being made in Elite are holding me back from doing that, so I will continue voicing my criticisms. I know for a fact I am not alone, because I have seen the same observations reflected all around the community for many long years while waiting for Fdev to do something new.

So kindly, if all you have to contribute to a conversation is "go somewhere else", keep it to yourself.

Yup. All the people who expected this new FSD to make old ones completely obsolete or it to make in-system travel near-instant without a serious tradeoff are naturally disappointed🙃

Folks, it's an FSD for interceptors and blockade runners—you want to catch someone or escape someone, you use this. You want to travel from one edge of the bubble to the other—you use the classical A-rated stuff. Simple as that.

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”
And is that how you view FSD engineering, guardian FSD boosters, FSD synthesis, neutron boosting, & fleet carriers crossing 500 ly in a single go?

But somehow addressing hours of empty nothingness going on in supercruise is suddenly crossing the line for keeping the sensation that "space is big"?

Utter nonsense.

Yup. All the people who expected this new FSD to make old ones completely obsolete or it to make in-system travel near-instant without a serious tradeoff are naturally disappointed🙃

Folks, it's an FSD for interceptors and blockade runners—you want to catch someone or escape someone, you use this. You want to travel from one edge of the bubble to the other—you use the classical A-rated stuff. Simple as that.
but it doesn't do that?
I was intercepted at full speed lol
given it was a thargoid but still idk

Or that the intended use isn't what some think and they're too quick to shoot from the hip themselves? It's entirely possible that this is a niche module intended to serve a particular purpose and that it serves it well enough. Now, it would be nice if could be engineered, to be fair, does jumponium work with it?
Dare I expect something more than 1 step forward & 2 steps back? Dare I hope for a new addition to the game to be fun and not punishing or obtuse?

I guess Arrowhead & their approach with Helldivers 2 has given me too much hope back after being drained of it waiting for something exactly like this in this game for the past 6 years to address one of my biggest peeves about the game.

When your best response to acknowledgement of an issue is "go find something else", that in itself is a testament to the problem.

Avoiding problems has been the forte for far too long for far too many of the game's outstanding sore points. Any game community that looks at feedback or criticism of said game and states "go play something else" has been a detriment upon the game experience since the dawn of online gaming.

And no, there aren't "millions" of space combat games out there (not that combat is the only focus of this game, that's another thing you have wrong). None of them yet are par with what Elite achieves with the 1:1 authentic representation of the Milky Way galaxy & humanity's existence 1300 years into the future. (Jury's still out on when SC will ever have the game actually put inside the game...)

Bottom line: I want to enjoy and play Elite, and the design choices that keep being made in Elite are holding me back from doing that, so I will continue voicing my criticisms. I know for a fact I am not alone, because I have seen the same observations reflected all around the community for many long years while waiting for Fdev to do something new.

So kindly, if all you have to contribute to a conversation is "go somewhere else", keep it to yourself.
The dev's can't cater for everyone.
Personally I've never had a problem with supercruise times. And I think if they got rid of it and made everything basically instant it would absolutely ruin it. For me having an aspect of distance in a space game like this adds to the game, not subtracts.
I reckon you're in the minority.

Anyways, i'm quite glad the OC FSD turned like this.

I was affrait it would be some overpowered dong of crap that will ruin the game.
Glad to see FDev is keeping it sane

I suppose you are right. Before I had the opportunity to buy and try the new tech, I suspected the FSD OSC would consume more fuel and produce more heat. Nearly ran out of fuel in 20 seconds in a Sidewinder but I exceeded 3000c out to 180,000 ls in HIP 11218. As an explorer and trader, this OSC is not really going to help me much. I use engineered Class A FSD modules for all of my vessels for both trade and exploration.

Last edited:
I suppose you are right. Before I had the opportunity to buy and try the new tech out, I suspected the FSD OSC would consume more fuel and produce more heat. Nearly ran out of fuel in 20 seconds in a Sidewinder but I exceeded 3000c out to 180,000 ls in HIP 11218. As an explorer and trader, this OSC is not really going to help me much. I use engineered Class A FSD modules for all of my vessels for both trade and exploration.

absolutely the new fsd is for a really niche of scenarios

possibly seeing more use in the upcoming PP20

Ok overcharge is cancelled during interdiction. That's if they can catch you to interdict you in the first place though.
During my test ride in my Sidewinder in HIP 11218, I left an interdictor 180,000 ls in the dust doing nearly 3000c. Very difficult to control vessel. And with about 25% fuel left on my return trip to North Station, I did a 1 second boost which was enough to arrive at North Station without being interdicted. Blockade runner.

I can’t imagine in what situation I might need this drive.
1712755503497.png

Last edited:
And is that how you view FSD engineering, guardian FSD boosters, FSD synthesis, neutron boosting, & fleet carriers crossing 500 ly in a single go?

But somehow addressing hours of empty nothingness going on in supercruise is suddenly crossing the line for keeping the sensation that "space is big"?

Utter nonsense.
Like, that's just your opinion, man. I know it might sound incredulous, but I'm a fan of space and I enjoy supercruise, it can be very relaxing and I think the time/velocity in general is balanced pretty well. So I am glad that it hasn't been effectively nerfed by this module, which I think would be a bad thing.

However, I also get that when running shipments from carriers to stations or just trying to get from A to B real quick having something that would alleviate that would be a good thing too. This seems to be exactly the thing this module was made to do; provide an option to reduce repetitive loops plus other potential usees in relation to blockade running/ganker evasion.

Basically, just because it wasn't what you wanted doesn't make it useless, maybe after the initial disappointment of what it isn't has worn off, maybe you'll find use for what it actually is. And I'm saying that as someone who would agree, to a degree, with you (possibly) that it would be good for there to be something that can do a similar thing to alleviate the long travel times between in-system distant binary partners. o7

Top Bottom