Planet Zoo: Barnyard Animal Pack | Announce

Did anyone notice in the trailer that the wooden water wheel is actually turning? That new or did it always do that?
IMG_0216.jpeg

Lemur and monkeys for sure, llama and camels of course, maybe the deer as well? Perhaps even the peafowl and swan. Hopefully the swan chases some guests around !!!
Lemur, fallow deer and capybara are my guesses, maybe capuchin and wallaby.
Camels i dont really see since they are huge and potentially dangerous and llamas are just jerks from what i know thats why you almost always find alpacas in petting zoos instead.
On the other hand we got some weird walkthroughable animals in game so who knows

My expectations were low, but holy...

This is a very, very brave choice for a final DLC. What the heck are they thinking? Here's hoping the update is somewhat substantial because this is just very, very sad.

People literally used to joke about this exact situation because it seemed so absurd.

Obviously it was never going to be a bird DLC, but there are embarrassingly obvious holes in the animal roster that will never be filled now. Baboons, New World monkeys, etc., all passed over for a thrice damned chicken. All I can say is that I hope all those huffing copium that this ain't the end turn out to be right. This DLC never needed to be themed. A mixed grab-bag of animals would have been fine. A generic collection of scenery would have been good.

Well... I've always been opposed to a petting zoo pack but I can't deny a lot of people were requesting it. I would have prefered something else but I understand why Frontier did it. I will still use some of the animals, especially the goat, the donkey and even the chicken. And I'm super excited for the scenery pieces (hay bales finally!!!).

I really hope it's not the last DLC but I'm optimistic it's not. Let's see... 🙏

I feel like I have missed something or somethingssss. I’m excited for chickens and donkeys. I just am. I JUST AM.

But I can understand disappointment. I too was hoping for monkeys and birds.

My big confusion is why this pack seems so different. The way it was announced, no tease or preview? Unless I missed that? No exhibit animal? This would’ve been a perfect pack for naked mole rats or some other rodent exhibit. I dunno, I’m just so confused.

I’m also confused as to why people keep saying this is the last pack. I FEEL SO LOST.

Hey, you just got a second New Zealand scenario! I guess you never expected that!
I appreciate the attempt at a positive spin but I can honestly say I have never given a dookey about the scenarios.

The galling thing is that because this is the last DLC we'll ever get (barring a Dunkirkian Miracle) not buying it out of protest or whatever is just pointless. I'll freely admit that almost every zoo needs a petting zoo/children's zoo/barnyard section so the theme itself makes sense for this game, but not as a sendoff with so much left undone.

I’m also confused as to why people keep saying this is the last pack.
Because it very obviously is.

Normally they announce their intention to continue releasing PDLC for the next financial year as part of their financial report. Currently we are in FY24 (Financial Year 2024) which ends on the 31st of May. The last financial report only suggested we would be getting PDLC until the end of FY24, rather than telling us they would be continuing to release PDLC in FY25 (in previous reports, they always announced there would be new content coming in the following financial year).

Aside from that, things are occurring exactly as they did when Planet Coaster wrapped up. A new game dropped (in our case the console edition) and layoffs have occurred (including PZ devs). Then, the icing on the cake, as predicted by anyone with any common sense, our last DLC contains more content than we're traditionally used to. Lo and behold, 7 animals and a scenery set. It couldn't be more clear that this is the last DLC. Frontier will never come out and say it (they never have for any of their games), but this is an almost exact mirror of Planet Coaster.

At most we will get one or two small free upates to fix whatever bugs inevitably crop up with 1.17. Then it will be radio silence on PZ (except for maybe community challenges until they wind down the Franchise Mode servers or whatever).

Here's hoping for a sequel within the next decade. Preferably one that includes something like a petting zoo in the base game to get it out of the way early.

Normally they announce their intention to continue releasing PDLC for the next financial year as part of their financial report. Currently we are in FY24 (Financial Year 2024) which ends on the 31st of May. The last financial report only suggested we would be getting PDLC until the end of FY24, rather than telling us they would be continuing to release PDLC in FY25 (in previous reports, they always announced there would be new content coming in the following financial year).

Aside from that, things are occurring exactly as they did when Planet Coaster wrapped up. A new game dropped (in our case the console edition) and layoffs have occurred (including PZ devs). Then, the icing on the cake, as predicted by anyone with any common sense, our last DLC contains more content than we're traditionally used to. Lo and behold, 7 animals and a scenery set. It couldn't be more clear that this is the last DLC. Frontier will never come out and say it (they never have for any of their games), but this is an almost exact mirror of Planet Coaster.

At most we will get one or two small free upates to fix whatever bugs inevitably crop up with 1.17. Then it will be radio silence on PZ (except for maybe community challenges until they wind down the Franchise Mode servers or whatever).

Here's hoping for a sequel within the next decade. Preferably one that includes something like a petting zoo in the base game to get it out of the way early.
Oh…

Well this bums me out immensely.

My quick review of the announcement nobody asked for:

The bad:
  • No exhibit animal for the second time in a DLC. And given how much we need them and that we only get one with each DLC it's the area where I have the strongest feeling of lost opportunity. Specially given that...:
  • It kinda feels like a last DLC? Apart from the weird release date, it's the mix of animal and scenery pack that was predicted as "bigger than usual" as in previous games for the last content release. That's only bad because I don't want support to end, but I think it's not a bad concept for some future packs (as long as the 60 pieces aren't always at the expense of the exhibit animal).
The good:
  • It kinda doesn't feel like a last DLC? Without an exhibit animal, and the whole roster being very similar to other species already in the game, it isn't really the bigger pack it was predicted. And accordingly, the DLC isn't more expensive than previous ones, so I think and hope we may have one more bullet left (at the very least!).
  • The pieces are probably much more useful than it seems. It's a big number of them considering those 60 doesn't seem to include a proper wall and roof set so I expect a lot of pieces for our backstage areas (fences for indoor holdings), apart from good foliage. And the straw bales will probably become the most used item after the buffalo grass and the aquatic rocks Haha
  • Another very strong free update. Petting zoo mechanics and more interaction between animals and guests were very demanded suggestions since the very beginning of the game. So thanks Frontier for listening for the community. I hope this new mechanic is as powerful as it sounds and it extends to as much animals from other packs as it should.
The weird:
  • The breeds choice. Chicken, cattle, goat, sheep, pig, donkey and wildcard is probably the best roster anyone could think for a farm pack. However, the choice of breeds for those species is very strange. Most of them from a single country (UK), some of them uncommon in zoos and/or outside that country...The sheep and the goat are probably the weirdest choices, it's very difficult to justify their inclusion.
  • They changed the title of the announcement thread. For the whole 4 years of the game lifespan it was something like "🦎Islands Animal Pack arriving 27th June!💚" and now it's more sober. No doubt it's just a consequence of so many lay-offs but I had to point it.

Nothing is very obvious. We just have to wait. And it is completely different to Planet coaster as the "new game" is just a port of the actual Game to the Console which happened in case of PC much later. There is nothing which would speak against supporting both a bit further if it financially works. Especially to support the Lifetime of the Console Game. And that they can release a DLC even after Release of a Console Edition was shown with this DLC.
It could be the end but the comments which just describe it as a fact are really a bit annoying. At least in my opinion. We have to wait and have to see. But if it should be the end I am not desperate about it Like potentially other people because it is just a game. Best to do is to relax and Take it easy. If we should hear nothing until June or even August (If I Take the year 2020 as reference) it probably is over. Until then or until Frontier publishes an official Statement (unlikely) I will further speculate.

While signs of it being the last or not are up in the air, there shouldn't be a reason to stop. Even though the packs are slowly digressing in popularity, they still make money. There are no other games in PZs genre that hold any competition so they can really do whatever they want without any competition. If they stick with the amount of effort in each pack recently I think they could keep going, but perhaps that's wishful thinking.

Top Bottom