Pay2Win made it to Elite

You can't strip the modules off the pre-built ships and store them. They can only be used on the pre-built ship, and if you remove them to replace them with different modules, you have to 'sell' them for 0 credits.

👆

Did he actually say that though?

That would suck even if the builds were good, which they are absolutely not. :)

However, if you follow the cmdr discussion in that thread, i dont thinl that is something that U18.04 cannot fix 😂

Edit:
Goddammit, ninjas everywhere

The biggest advantage for the players' base is that FDEV may earn money and make a better game for eveyone.
FDEV may earn money and may make a better game for some/everyone.

They are no guarantees even when there are supposed to be guarantees (other than the Cobra IV for some strange reason).

The thing about the Kickstarter advantages is they were advised before the product was pledged for. In this case we're partially through a product that's been paid for (Odyssey) and Frontier start changing the rules. Now some may say the ships are not part of Odyssey, but if that is the case why are Odyssey players getting the Python 'free' (eventually) and Horizons players having to pay for it?

Last edited:
I'd rather see the game shut down for good instead of going P2W or even F2P in the future. And it's best the company dies with it. It's blunders over the past 5 years have lead to this point, and the talented devs deserve a place to work elsewhere. If FDEV can turn the ship around without P2W, fine, if not, closure time.
Frontier do have other products than ED, so that seems a little harsh.

If we give people the benefit of doubt here:

Whatever imaginary game Elite turns into after FDev spends all the megabucks from selling P2W arx stuff in the store on updating Elite (instead of new creative management sims or licensed IP games) will be a better Elite game, but with P2W features.

It's not like this is would go away if the game suddenly reached that magic threshold where it's good enough to make money on it's own merits without the microtransaction stuff. This particular path can only go downhill even if the rest of the game gets better.

👆

However, if you follow the cmdr discussion in that thread, i dont thinl that is something that U18.04 cannot fix 😂

Edit:
Goddammit, ninjas everywhere

And what about the "prebuilt ships must have 0 rebuy cost because people otherwise might lose something they bought for real money and fdev cannot let that happen because reasons" argument that came up earlier in this (iirc) thread?

They cannot lose the shiny they bought for ARX... except they can, or what? :)

Lets not talk about CMDR Mechan's opinon about a newb ship build.
He's criticizing it from his own perspective as a top 1% pilot.

However, no matter what CMDR Mechan is saying about that Arx Chieftain, i can tell you that ship is much much better than the Starter Sidewinder or an E-C rated Adder.
Because that AX Chief, purchased for real money is not for the player that progressed his account enough to afford a Chieftain in game, but for the newb that barely got out of the Sidewinder into their next ship.

Sure, it's better than a starter Sidewinder or E-C rated Adder, but it's also a very poor build for introducing anyone to AX combat.

I'd rather see the game shut down for good instead of going P2W or even F2P in the future. And it's best the company dies with it.
So you want to see more folks out of a job - nice
If FDEV can turn the ship around without P2W, fine, if not, closure time.
As a game it dosnt need turning around, its the best out there, what we need is to make it a bit easier for folks to come here and realise that.
its not about any of that. Its disgraceful to the legacy of the game to keep the lights on a little bit longer by implementing exploitative and downright toxic monetisation tactics (P2W in a paid game) Its unacceptable. its a disgrace to the memory of the game. Its a disgrace to the initial developers of the game. Its a disgrace to the franchise as a whole. Its selling the soul to the devil, so to speak
Utter rubbish, there is nothing exploitative by offering options, you are not forced into anything.
while still being P2W
Nope they are not

Im still waiting for any of you doomers omg the games ruined folks to offer a credible alternative, oh wait there isn't one.

O7

What if you can't afford to play at all? Now where are you?
Nothing of what Fdev are doing is going to stop you playing, for FREE
Other than micro transactions a subscription is the only way to raise funds.
Buying stuff from the store is optional but for some of us who don't hit the pub every night or smoke 20 a day, buying cosmetics and ships for our hobby whilst supporting a game we love is a bit of a no brainer.

O7

So I have read many of posts about what was "promised" about the ARX store and cosmetics and wanted to post my opinion on that specifically but also cover in a way the whole conversation.

I am sure there are other forumites here that are business owners of all incomes and ilks and I'm guessing they have had similar experiences and maybe not.
When I started my business way back when, I remember promising/swearing to myself that there were certain types of jobs I would not take or do and certain types of companies that I would not do business with. At the time I was set in a certain mindset and if my past me saw me typing this I would probably smack myself upside the head for it. So with that said..

Now I'm not in the software business, really no where near TBO, but in any type of business the realizations of money flow are all the same basically. No matter if the company has a $100 million revenue or $50k, when it gets tough you have to make changes or take certain actions to weather the time that the income is just not there for whatever reason..ie covid, natural disasters and yes even mismanagement which happens and not necessarily on purpose. Sometimes the decisions you make seem right at the time, but later find that it was detrimental and you learn from it.

Fast forward 23 years later and I look back at all the promises I broke to myself over the years to keep my business running. Nothing nefarious or illegal mind you but just basically certain principles that I held.
I realized over time that people rely on you, families of employees, sub-contractors and other businesses rely on the income and services you provide them. Customers rely on you to provide your product to them at a reasonable cost but the bottom line is this.. making a profit. I am not in business to break even or lose money. Businesses have to adapt and make changes on the fly to survive this effed up world economy. Because I broke promises to myself over time and bid on and took jobs I swore I wouldn't ever do in really tough financial times, I was able to keep rolling and create a very comfortable existence for my family and those that rely on my business to thrive.

I do not fault Frontier for "breaking promises" or even changing up how the revenue stream flows for their business. Predatory business practices is a very loose term in the corporate/business world. Obvious here in this thread that there are consumers that look at these changes and practices a completely different way and to me that is healthy to have the conversation.
In the end, I am still in a successful business after 23 years because I broke my mold and adapted and changed how I went about running the day to day to the ever changing landscape of my industry. It is funny to me to read posts on here from time to time where the OP or poster is making suggestions on how Fdev run their business and what they are doing right or wrong. I do get proper lols at times and I thank you for the entertainment.

Same applies here in my humble opinion.

I appears that, in the main, the objections are not about them spending their money, but concern that others may spend theirs, which is laughable, in truth.
I think it stems from a fear that by others spending their money, publishers will be convinced that there's benefits to locking players out of new content that don't pay to access it, with the caveat that such purchases will be encouraged by offering benefits over the freely available stuff.

Now logically, that does make a little bit of sense, but it's also a description of exactly how market capitalism works... Now, I'm not going to get into the debate as to whether that's the correct way for a society to function or not, for the moment it's simply a reality of human existence. I guess in my mind putting a pre-built ship behind a paywall is no different to putting a new land and questline behind a paywall in an RPG, or a car pack in a racing game. The players who pay get to enjoy the content, and benefit from it. Those that don't won't.

The problem with Elite is precedent. We've got very used to be given free updates for very little investment (base game plus two DLCs). Plus, for now at least, nothing being offered for cash can't be had for "free" (bought the DLC) with a little time and effort, which still stands out compared to the rest of the gaming market, whether an individual agrees with the new proposals or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom