News Elite: Dangerous will support Oculus Rift

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well after my first hands on with the Rift playing Halflife 2 at EliteMeet all I can say is that it will take some getting used to. Pass the barf bag please! :)

As others has said. Using the Rift with FPS is quite a problem to overcome as of yet. Having your eyes telling you that you are moving while your body is sitting still will certainly induce motion sickness for those of us that are affected by it (me included). Sitting inside a cockpit while sitting on your chair is something else entirely. Hopefully I will be able to take that since I'm planning to buy a Rift as soon they are officially released.

Yes cockpit games are much better in the rift, i am sorry that more of you didn't get a chance to try all the demos; not enough time! :(

Still i hope it gave you a nice taste of what to expect in the consumer kit.

As others has said. Using the Rift with FPS is quite a problem to overcome as of yet. Having your eyes telling you that you are moving while your body is sitting still will certainly induce motion sickness for those of us that are affected by it (me included). Sitting inside a cockpit while sitting on your chair is something else entirely. Hopefully I will be able to take that since I'm planning to buy a Rift as soon they are officially released.

For me it's the realignment in FPS that's the problem... so I'm looking to my left and want to go that way, but I don't want to turn my body that way in real life of course (or I'd end up going in circles and tangled in cables!) so I use the 2nd analogue stick on the gamepad to turn my character left as I turn my head IRL back from left to centre. It's the repetition of this that really affects me.

As you say though, sitting in a vehicle (space ship, car, helicopter, etc) is leagues better as you don't have this realignment issue.

For me it's the realignment in FPS that's the problem... so I'm looking to my left and want to go that way, but I don't want to turn my body that way in real life of course (or I'd end up going in circles and tangled in cables!) so I use the 2nd analogue stick on the gamepad to turn my character left as I turn my head IRL back from left to centre. It's the repetition of this that really affects me.

As you say though, sitting in a vehicle (space ship, car, helicopter, etc) is leagues better as you don't have this realignment issue.

Yes the dis embodiment (I.e. No feet or torso) is a real problem when converting a current FPS title to VR. This is one of the reasons that Oculus have been telling people it is better to work from scratch and that some current titles are not a good fit for a Rift experience.

Being an owner of the Dev version of the Oculus Rift, I was wondering if anyone was going to officially tell the rest of the world...

On http://www.riftenabled.com/admin/apps/ we simply aren't listed.

I already see Eve and Start Citizen listed, I think someone needs to be proactive and get Elite listed there... Sooner than later. I have no official capacity or I would do it myself.

Being an owner of the Dev version of the Oculus Rift, I was wondering if anyone was going to officially tell the rest of the world...

On http://www.riftenabled.com/admin/apps/ we simply aren't listed.

I already see Eve and Start Citizen listed, I think someone needs to be proactive and get Elite listed there... Sooner than later. I have no official capacity or I would do it myself.

I tried to do it some time ago. No luck. Anyone else?

I am not sure about the importance of that website.

But once we get some alpha video's on YT, I hope the uploaders will put a note there that ED will support the OR. From there on that news will be spread and end up on such websites.

They need to get a multi-player Rift enabled version out to the conferences, that's what EVE have been doing with Valkyrie to great effect (lots of media coverage).

Better still they could open up the Alpha or Beta to Rift owners, that would really get the OR community on their side.

Beta maybe but opening up alpha might well upset people who've paid £200 for the privilege...

How does opening the alpha to rift support affect anything? There are some of us whom have alpha access and have put out for the rift dev kit, so where's the issue?

How does opening the alpha to rift support affect anything? There are some of us whom have alpha access and have put out for the rift dev kit, so where's the issue?

There is no issue with FD opening support to Alpha / Beta participants to include OR extentions. The issue would be with people buying an OR dev kit and then gaining Alpha / Beta access for free when they didn't pledge to that level to begin with. I think you might just be reading his comment wrong.

If you have an OR then I hope FD support it sooner so you can give feedback :)

There is no issue with FD opening support to Alpha / Beta participants to include OR extentions. The issue would be with people buying an OR dev kit and then gaining Alpha / Beta access for free when they didn't pledge to that level to begin with. I think you might just be reading his comment wrong.

Yes, Liqua has my concern right. If FD give OR support in the Alpha, great! Just don't give alpha to everyone with an OR. Otherwise you could've bought an OR and got alpha for the same price as just buying alpha, not really "fair".

Yes, Liqua has my concern right. If FD give OR support in the Alpha, great! Just don't give alpha to everyone with an OR. Otherwise you could've bought an OR and got alpha for the same price as just buying alpha, not really "fair".

I don't know when OR support will be included with ED - However when it is implemented I wouldn't be at all surprised if FD, as part of a marketing PR exercise, gave some kind of access to ED to them - for instance the OR creators / large gaming community websites / reviewers etc.

There is no issue with FD opening support to Alpha / Beta participants to include OR extentions. ....
I hope so, I am itching for more VR :D

I've just seen the game running for the first time on a 3D device, it looks pretty damn cool :)

Michael

Modern VR is a truly indescribable experience isn't it? That's why I had to share the Rift at EliteMeet ;)

I hope so, I am itching for more VR :D.... Modern VR is a truly indescribable experience isn't it? That's why I had to share the Rift at EliteMeet ;)

I am still waiting to borrow it myself Mr K :D

They need to get a multi-player Rift enabled version out to the conferences, that's what EVE have been doing with Valkyrie to great effect (lots of media coverage).

Better still they could open up the Alpha or Beta to Rift owners, that would really get the OR community on their side.

Beta maybe but opening up alpha might well upset people who've paid £200 for the privilege...

I think the point Barns was trying to make was that it would be unfair to open up the alpha to people who had only backed OR (and not ED) - not that you shouldn't let people who have backed both have access or that you shouldn't support rift in alpha.

Personally I don't see why the OR or its community needs any help or encouragement in any case - it seems to be doing pretty well on its own and OR support could (should?) probably be left until later on until more fundamental aspects have been sorted out.

Last edited:
I've just seen the game running for the first time on a 3D device, it looks pretty damn cool :)

Michael

Thats damn good to hear Michael, damn good.

So, I've been messing with the rift for a number of days now, digging out what I think really stands out with the thing and I have to say so far two demos really stand out with respects to what could be done in ED.

And yes, you other guys here with the rift, (if you haven't already) you really need to get these demos and mess with them a bit, you will totally see what I mean.

Okay so the first is;

Delta Draconis

DL: http://www.riftenabled.com/admin/app/246

Delta_Draconis-2013-07-03-08-17-31-85-620x400.png

For the small demo it is, it really does give a very convinceable feel to planetary flight on an alien planet. You really do get the feeling you are in a craft on another world. I get the feeling that this is what ED might be like but with greater detail whilst in space. Michael, you might be able to answer this for us?

The second, is a demo/alpha game/sim that goes by the name of Outerra Anteworld (DL via this link)

http://youtu.be/whdHElU83bk
http://youtu.be/2LPPdV2Md1c

The thing to bear in mind here is, this is rendering planets realistically whilst using using procedural algorithm data. So, if we get the chance to go planetside at a some future DLC point, might our planets be a mixture of the likes seen here in Delta and Outerra? I surely hope so, it will be magical.

Oh and just to wet your taste buds a tad, heres a few screenshots of Sci-Fi flyable craft mods which are out there.
pvihas0.jpg

jZmHg5x.jpg

6Dgt4ik.jpg

Cpt6dev.jpg

qXENFXR.jpg

RU7Lpnq.jpg

You get the idea people, now just replace these Star Wars ships with Elite ships and give us a procedurally generated galaxy with procedurally generated planets, with all the beautiful detail that ED has to offer game play wise, add to the fact that all this is Rift capable? Mindblowing!

I defy anyone to tell me that a few years down the line ED will not be the standard that all space sim/games are set by and ... that ED will not have knocked the ball completely out of the park? To me it seems as if ED is shaping up to be the true Highlander ... "There can be only ONE!"

Mike, Devs, if you strap planets on ED like shown in this, its all over for everyone else. :D

Note and warning Rift users: Having flown around in Outerra for a few hours with the rift, I've had no problems. Yet, doing the same thing without an airframe around me, flying like Superman in other words, did end up with me feeling a tad bit motion sick. :(

So, if you mess with this demo whilst using the Rift, don't do a Superman jumping from mountain to mountain for extended periods like I did, limit your time or it will not end well. Better still, dig into your pockets for $15 and have the option to fly the craft instead (not available in demo mode, only a truck). :)

Happy exploring.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom