News Elite: Dangerous will support Oculus Rift

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
These hippies seem to like the OR, and have a novel approach to multi-player gaming.
Hippies are pretty easy to please, though,

hippies.jpg

I consider motion sickness part of the immersion.
I'll have a barf bag ready just like as if I was on an airplane.

Squicker

S
And the effects on the metabolism and the mental, health on the long-term ? And the neuro-oculars disorders, already evoked by experts for the 3D glasses. Before, break my health, the brain and the eyes, I want to see the commercial version, the size (at least as glasses), the weight, the price, and the reading of reports of medical experts on the long-term for the health.

:(

I can remember the same thing being said when the 'Viewmaster' was released back in the 70's. Said no one, ever.

This is true. I am fine in War Thunder until I start doing copious barrel rolls, but then it would be the same IRL :p

lol So where's the problem? That seems about right to me, some of this lot need to toughen up and grow a pair. :p Now, all we need is a good Sub or ship sim with good wave effects and we'd be sorted when it comes to whole sickness thing! Air, sea and space! Ahhh, if we could only simulate "free-fall" it would be complete! :D

Great news that we know many of you have been hoping for – today we’re announcing that Elite: Dangerous will support Oculus Rift. We’re very excited by this and if you aren’t aware of what Oculus Rift is then visit their website to find out more:

http://www.oculusvr.com/

I’m sure you’ll also be pleased to learn that the Oculus Rift version of Elite: Dangerous will be available to ALL backers that have an Oculus Rift headset for no extra cost.

Here’s David’s opinion on this:

“We’ve been playing with the Oculus Rift dev kits and are excited about the potential – just glancing around your cockpit or being totally immersed in a space battle. Many of our backers have made it clear that they would like Oculus Rift support – and so do we! We’re very pleased with the results so far.”

Michael

Wonderful. What about the Track IR - a device that is already firmly established in the simulator world as a must have?

We don't have anything to announce on TrackIR at the moment, but yes you will still be able to look around the cockpit if you do not own a head tracking peripheral.

Which means it's not going to be supported in the initial release, but a basically unproven device will be? Sure you can look around the cockpit with the PoV switch, but that's not an option after being used to Track IR.

Last edited:
Could I trade in the barf bag and the phone for another beer filled platypus?

(I always wondered what they (the platypi) were good for. Now I know Thank you :smilie: )

Got to admit though, the Platypus is the coolest looking creature, in a strange way.

platypus.jpg

could you imagine if @mobius added these features to a ship?

sidewinder small fighter
cobra mid fighter
anaconda trader/fighter
orca passenger
platypus miner.

It looks so sad, it RADIATES fed-upness. Makes me want to consider adopting.
It's like cosy cuteness / ugly fed-upness are on a circular spectrum and it's gone so far round the circle of ugly it winds up all the way round in cute... <pets it>

Wonderful. What about the Track IR - a device that is already firmly established in the simulator world as a must have?

Which means it's not going to be supported in the initial release, but a basically unproven device will be?
Not necessarily, it was only a few weeks ago they were saying the same about Oculus Rift (OR). Track IR support is very desirable IMO, because even though I am excited about OR, I imagine not everyone will be able to or want handle it.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom