Route Plotting in the Core: an explanation

Warning: this is a pretty epic wall of text. If you're not interested in plotting routes near the core without spending half an hour doing so, this probably won't be very interesting...

Update: If you prefer your guides in video form, check out this excellent summary by Dr. Kaii about how to get around this problem!

So, first up: it's widely known that ships with a large jump range (>30Ly especially) often have serious trouble navigating in the core: routes will often take half an hour or more to plot, lagging the game horribly as they do so.
I believe I've found a solution for this, and I have a reason as to why it works. If you just want to know how to plot, just read the first part: for why I think it works, read further on...

Evidence that it works: I recently did a Buckyball A* run where my entire time spent route plotting came to a bit under 18 minutes, for 30 plots.

So, first up: you'll need the following; all examples assume a jump range of 35Ly.

N is the maximum number of full range jumps you can do within 1000Ly - e.g. 1000 / 35 = 28.57..., so N = 28
M is the distance travelled by that number of jumps - e.g. 35 * 28 = 980
D is the distance you are from Sgr A*, in 1000Ly - so if you're at about 15k from A*, D = 15

Plot = M - ((N / 4) + (D * 2))

Now, you're probably thinking "MATHS?! I didn't come here for maths!", and that's fine. This isn't exact anyway, it's a half-decent approximation I just made up based on what I've experienced. You might need to go a little higher or lower than this suggests to get fast plots. It's just a guide.
What it means is that if you have a "max optimal range" of 980Ly, you need to plot much lower than that on the edges of the core if you want to get a good plot.
Let's plug some numbers in at various distances:

15k from A*: 980 - (7 + 30) = 943
10k from A*: 980 - (7 + 20) = 953
5k from A*: 980 - (7 + 10) = 963
0k from A*: 980 - (7 + 0) = 973

The important thing to remember: if you don't have a route within about 15 seconds, you probably won't have one for a very long time. In this case, exit the Galaxy Map, go back in, and try at a different distance cry in a corner because FD broke all the methods we had to cancel bad route plots.

UPDATE: CMDR Charizard (Revalationist on Reddit) has helpfully created a C# GUI application to do the maths for you! You can find it here (thread). If you prefer a console version, ratchety6 on Reddit has you covered here.

Now, for the full explanation...

The reason for subtracting based on the number of jumps is that, even in the core, you aren't plotting exactly in a straight line (to go 980Ly straight-line distance, you'd actually have to travel nearer 990Ly).
It's close, though - and it gets closer to a straight line the further in you get, hence the distance component.

74mvwzp.png

Let's say you're plotting a route to the red star. For most of the route, the planner will use the fastest route it can (the blue segment).
However, now it's got to a place where it's sure it will take exactly three jumps to reach the destination.

It could now do something like this:
ukUraEn.png

However, this is pretty inefficient - given the way fuel usage works, it's best to choose jumps as close to equal length as possible. Something like this:
QCpJoLA.png

So that's exactly what the route planner does - once it's sure how many jumps are left (it usually knows this with 2-5 jumps left) it picks the most equidistant jumps it can. You might notice this when plotting long routes normally - the last few jumps are usually significantly shorter than the rest of the route.
To do that, however, it needs to evaluate all the viable options:
WnphppL.png

Slightly messy, but no big deal - it's got a few options to choose from at each hop, so it takes maybe a second or so, but no problem.
No problem, that is, until we get to the core. Because once you're in the core, it looks more like this:
B888exB.png

Now there are a lot of choices for each hop; this is exacerbated by long jump ranges. So trying to pick those last few equidistant hops looks more like this:
d2EmY9T.png

It's not abundantly clear from the picture, but there are orders of magnitude more options for the route planner to take. If the stars are twice as dense, it takes 8x as long to calculate three jumps; in the core the stars are a whole lot more than twice as dense than outside.

Now let's take another approach: instead of our original destination, let's stop here instead:
Hf6TBSE.png

The route planner still does its check - it knows that it can get there within two jumps, but only just.
So, its choices look more like this:
NfXPnPW.png

It has far, far fewer choices to check, because the only valid choices are right on the edge of your jump range.
Thus, the route takes a couple of seconds to plot, not half an hour. :)

I'd be interested in hearing feedback on this - what's clear, what's not, whether you think I'm talking a load of old cobblers, etc.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Don't know why there isn't a heuristic search tool coded for the plotter. There are a number of heuristics that would suffice.
Suffice is the keyword here. Optimal solution calculation is the enemy of "good enough".

Don't know why there isn't a heuristic search tool coded for the plotter. There are a number of heuristics that would suffice.
Suffice is the keyword here. Optimal solution calculation is the enemy of "good enough".
In this case, it definitely is. If nothing else, just a checkbox for "ignore optimal routes, just make me a valid route in the near future, please"

Last edited:
Spent way too long trying to explain this concept to someone who couldn't understand why it took so long to plot. (They were also convinced it was graphics power not cpu power that was the problem :p).

Take a rep sir for explaining it well and with pretty pictures.

very helpful.
+rep. would give more if I could.
Far to few serious posts on exploration these days.

Great stuff, and concurs with my own observations jumping around the core for a couple of weeks after reading your original Buckyball comments.

I wish you'd posted this yesterday when i was waiting 90mins for a plot... great work!

Brilliant work, and it explains why I couldn't make sense of the logic... the route planner is using a completely different kind of algorithm than I was expecting. I had figured it would be constructing full routes using a topology table and comparing them with something like Djikstra's SPF algorithm... what it's actually doing is taking at each jump the star that is closest to the destination out of all the stars in reach, then when it gets close and can no longer optimize hop count it starts trying to optimize fuel usage.

So really all that is needed is a cap on how many alternate routes it will evaluate at that last stage. It won't give you the very best route, but it will give you a route much faster.

What I don't get is why we haven't got more options to choose from when planing a route.

It should not be that hard to implemend so that we are able to control some variables of the algorithm. Like, lets say via drop down menu where we have "advanced" proberties to fiddle around with.

I always found having just the 2 options fast or economical somewhat limited.

Definitely worked for me -- just under 2K out from Sag A*, plotted a course of 982 LY almost instantly. Thanks!

This is what I suspected was happening without putting it into so many words, so I appreciate the detailed confirmation :)

My Asp has a range of 32.44ly.
The plotting lags out if I try to plot anything longer than 3 jumps in the core area. 3 jumps maximum range would be 97.32ly.
I found that if I pick a system between 93-95ly that I get an instant plot. 95.5ly and above, it lags out.

Esvandiary said:
once it's sure how many jumps are left (it usually knows this with 2-5 jumps left) it picks the most equidistant jumps it can.
My experience shows it is 3 jumps for the final part of the plot calculation.

I will admit to manually plotting in the core, star to star. This is mainly so I can select the stars I want. This guide is extremely useful, but what i would really like is to be able to plot a route by waypoints.

As a matter of interest how do you do this? I find the star density so high that even filtering down to relatively uncommon types still makes it hard to find them at the right ranges.

I will admit to manually plotting in the core, star to star. This is mainly so I can select the stars I want. This guide is extremely useful, but what i would really like is to be able to plot a route by waypoints.
I agree, I feel like the galaxy map definitely needs some quality-of-life love soon.

As a matter of interest how do you do this? I find the star density so high that even filtering down to relatively uncommon types still makes it hard to find them at the right ranges.
Was that question to me? If so, I tend to zoom absolutely all the way in once I'm at about the right place; that usually gets the mess of stars down to something a bit more usable like this.

Top Bottom