The multi monitor thread... coz wider is better!

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
This is WoWP and SWOTR, both run in windowed mode and i just pull the edges out as far as i need to get best coverage, if you try the same thing with Warthunder the aspect ratio won't change so as you pull sideways the bottom of the screen drop off the bottom of your monitor.

(Excuse the full sized images, thought it defeated the object to shrink them)

<images snipped for obvious reasons>

Are the trees on the far right in the top one blurred due to motion effects?

Are the trees on the far right in the top one blurred due to motion effects?

It's a combination of motion blur and the image going a bit fish eyed at the edges.

I did check to see if all i was doing was stretching the image that is always there, but switching back and forth between single monitor and stretched across three does show up that you have a wider field of view although you do get slightly more blur and stretch at the edges if you look at the map in the corner you can see that it is still square and not stretched into a rectangle.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
It's a combination of motion blur and the image going a bit fish eyed at the edges.

I did check to see if all i was doing was stretching the image that is always there, but switching back and forth between single monitor and stretched across three does show up that you have a wider field of view although you do get slightly more blur and stretch at the edges if you look at the map in the corner you can see that it is still square and not stretched into a rectangle.

Understood, thank you.

That's Groovy Baby!
But I think I need to get three big monitors just to appreciate your three big monitors...
But that would be silly, lol.
Maybe when I am rich.

Warthunder works quite well and Planetside 2 has a special wide view mode but I don't like that. Kind of accelerates the movement of your peripheral vision.

Facetracking/ headtracking becomes more sensible with 3 monitors and Iv'e been playing around with that too using FaceTrackNoIr, see the Blue Peter Headtracking thread. Got it working nicely with a pair of polarised sunglass lenses at 90 degrees and a Delan clip. TrackIr works in ED not sure about the cheapo alternative tho.

Now, has anyone tried NINE monitors in a three by three array? lol.

I have got facetracknoIR, but it doesn't work at the light levels I play at, works fine if I add more light but i like my setup as it is, i may try the DIY Delan clip option next.

4K is like 4 fhd multimon in 2 by 2 setup. It's also the 4 times the GFlops of GPU pixel pushin.

I think with a 120 degree FOV instead 90 degree you got a very large look at your cockpit.

optimal monitor size for 4K would be the same size as 4 FHD monitors. In my case twice 27" a monitor of 55".

Wich comes down at abusing a 4K TV in 55" at 1 meter as a PC monitor with a few 24" touch screens as input screens. only two problem don't got the budged nor the place for it.

We haven't finalised the support for multiple monitor setups yet, as a minimum you can stretch across all screens, however we will be looking at other options as well.

Michael

Hi Michael, I refer you to my post in this thread in the alpha discussion here

I would really like to urge you to check out iracing.com simulator, or Assetto Corsa on Steam. Both have excellent multi monitor support.

I think ED deserves nothing less!

Cheers,

Bully

I found a 4K monitor for $600 at 27" however it was not true 4K, The one I am looking at getting is $2.5K 31.5" display true 4K resolution monitor from Asus but at the moment it is out of my price range. I would have to save up around $8K to get three of those bad boys not including a bigger desk to fit them all on there :eek:

My current build will be using 3-way or 4-way SLI Geforce 780 ti's in a watercool setup. Total cost of computer build without monitors would cost me around $7000, and a little more if I get the most expensive option of each part including watercooling parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqWNkpT0aGI

Last edited:
What do all you guys recon will be the minimum graphic card needed to run 3x 1920x1080? Looking to get an extra monitor and new GPU but want to hold off to make I can run this configuration on an nvidia card, ideally non sli.

lol.
boo!

I suppose it comes down to video ram. I don't know how much you need for three of those monitors at full res and colour depth. What about 3D monitors? Does that mean you need twice the video ram?
I suppose it would. So many bits per pixel x pixels x 3 monitors x 2 for 3D? = bits/8 =bytes/1024=kilobytes/1024=megabytes/1024/gigs of video ram required. Plus textures etc.....

The other thing is can you get a sensible framerate at those resolutions. I'm pretty sure if you troll about on the NVidia site or youtube someone will tell you. Anything below 30 is unplayable. 60 frames / second minimum for 3D.
The Nvidia site might help.

blah blah blah
numbers numbers..

Last edited:
What do all you guys recon will be the minimum graphic card needed to run 3x 1920x1080? Looking to get an extra monitor and new GPU but want to hold off to make I can run this configuration on an nvidia card, ideally non sli.

I would say GTX660 as a minimum, mine copes ok with the games i have spread across monitors but it is noticeably slower on world of tanks or world of warplanes unless i drop some settings, it still plays at an acceptable frame rate on the medium settings for those games and wasn't very expensive so i'm happy with its value for money at £140.

Very wide FOV does get very stretched at the edges. This because most games are rendered as planar projection. This assumes all you monitors are in the same plane like this --- , most people angle the ones at the side in a bit like this /-\ , though not as much

The solution is spherical projection, the downside to spherical is that straight lines become curved. Partly because the screens are still flat but also because it is more like a fish eye lens effect however our brains get used to it quite quickly.

The Oculus Rift display is somewhat like this.

I would say GTX660 as a minimum, mine copes ok with the games i have spread across monitors but it is noticeably slower on world of tanks or world of warplanes unless i drop some settings, it still plays at an acceptable frame rate on the medium settings for those games and wasn't very expensive so i'm happy with its value for money at £140.

What onboard RAM do you have ?
Alpha says it needs a gig. Most new cards come with 2 or 4 gigs.
I expect the full game with all the bells and whistles turned up to 11 will require more than 1 gig.
But on the other hand it might get optimised to bits and require less? Then my old 768 Mb 460 might work too?
I got my 680 phantom overclocked 2 gig thingy for 200 quid on ebay. Noisy coils apparently..... But I played Elite on the beeb and am therefore an old git. I cant hear them....... steal!

Last edited:
My 660 has 2 gig, all the games I've used it on so far use less than 1, on board RAM is mainly for textures though so unless the game you are playing has gone for real high quality textures you won't see a huge benefit to having masses on your card.

I run GPU meter so i can keep an eye on whats it's doing as i was a bit worried about case temps for a while.

Last edited:

The last time I set up 3 monitors I needed 2 cards this left one output free as there were 2 per card. If it can be done with one I'd like to know how.

660Gtx as previously said (or an ATI equivalent) is probably a good floor.

Top Bottom