VR minimum specification for Elite Dangerous (DK2)

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
Greetings Commanders,

Many of you have been asking about the minimum system requirements for VR in Elite Dangerous, including Horizons, so here they are:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
• Memory: 16 GB RAM
• Graphics: Nvidia GTX 980 with 4GB or better
• Network: Broadband Internet Connection
• Hard Drive: 8 GB available space

We are passionate about VR and Elite Dangerous is leading the way in cutting edge VR software development. This is what we consider to be a minimum spec to have a good experience on forthcoming consumer VR headsets.

As most of you are aware we currently support HTC Vive and the Oculus rift 0.5 SDK. We continue to work with Oculus on support for their more recent SDKs, and will let you know if and when there is more to announce.

Thanks Zac!

Is this the absolute minimum? isn't it possible to do VR with lower levers of ingame details?
For which level of details is this recommended?
If this is the minimum, what is the recommended configuration?
Could it work with a GTX 970 with low or medium settings? As it's the minimum requirement for the Oculus Rift, I guess many people bought this card for that purpose.
Also what is the AMD/ATI equivalent video requirement? Radeon Fury X?

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Zac and continued support for VR, could you possibly tell us what Nvidia & AMD driver versions you guys would recommend when using VR products ?

Do you always develop with the latest or is there a particular version suited to ED ?

Thanks Zac!

Is this the absolute minimum? isn't it possible to do VR with lower levers of ingame details?
For which level of details is this recommended?
If this is the minimum, what is the recommended configuration?
Could it work with a GTX 970 with low or medium settings? As it's the minimum requirement for the Oculus Rift, I guess many people bought this card for that purpose.
Also what is the AMD/ATI equivalent video requirement? Radeon Fury X?

I am in a similar boat, here. I have an GTX 970, with one important reason being Oculus recommending it for the "full Rift experience" (the other requirements - OS, RAM and CPU - are or will be met very soon by my computer).

Do you think you could get a comment out of the devs about what one would have to expect when having the hardware you listed above (perhaps newer/better i7, also), but replacing the "980" with a "970"?

Thanks!

I am running Horizons under Windows 10 with a 970 without any problems on the DK2. (It runs better with a second 970 using SLI but you do need to modify the nvidia profiles as it's not setup for elitedangerous64.exe yet)

Only problem I have really run into is the secondary window you can configure in AppConfig.xml doesn't work in SLI mode (in my experience). It just gets to the spinning ship and stays there. As it's an unsupported mod I can't really complain :D

Javert

Volunteer Moderator
Just to be clear, are you saying this is the minimum just for the consumer versions, or has the minimum spec gone up for the DK2?

This should be the minimum requirement to get 90 fps on consumer rift and vive. So I think it's pretty clear now the published recommended specs from oculus and valve are relevant for sponsored games only. I guess I will have to overclock my i5 4670k a bit. My fury X should be fine as I think the amd equivalent to a 980 should be a normal fury/390x?. I have got the 16 gb ram but didn't expect this.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you guys are reccomending an i7 unlocked CPU alongside an AMD FX 4350.... So it seems if a quad core is all that's needed then it should be an i5 for Intel.

This should be the minimum requirement to get 90 fps on consumer rift and vive. So I think it's pretty clear now the published recommended specs from oculus and valve are relevant for sponsored games only. I guess I will have to overclock my i5 4670k a bit. My fury X should be fine as I think the amd equivalent to a 980 should be a normal fury/390x?. I have got the 16 gb ram but didn't expect this.

Your i5 is faster than the i7 they quoted.

I assume the difference to the minimum oculus spec is because FD need a bit of performance in reserve for developments during the whole Horizons season both on the game client and on the VR headsets and their software.

Eg perhaps the planned increase for release in terrain quality and subsurface scattering for all landfall planets will cost more video card performance than Beta 3.

Is this specific i5 4 cores? Usually they aren't.

For mobile chips, you are correct.

For desktop chips, i5s are usually quad without HT.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Greetings Commanders,

Many of you have been asking about the minimum system requirements for VR in Elite Dangerous, including Horizons, so here they are:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
• Memory: 16 GB RAM
• Graphics: Nvidia GTX 980 with 4GB or better
• Network: Broadband Internet Connection
• Hard Drive: 8 GB available space

We are passionate about VR and Elite Dangerous is leading the way in cutting edge VR software development. This is what we consider to be a minimum spec to have a good experience on forthcoming consumer VR headsets.

As most of you are aware we currently support HTC Vive and the Oculus rift 0.5 SDK. We continue to work with Oculus on support for their more recent SDKs, and will let you know if and when there is more to announce.

re: i7-3770K - is a (stock clocked) i7-2600K /2700K "too slow" or are you recommending a system with PCI Express 3.0 as a minimum?

So you guys have given up on AMD?

(Noticed that the front page now highlight gameworks and no longer mention AMD).

Top Bottom