VR minimum specification for Elite Dangerous (DK2)

My HMD outruns it's charge when I use a link cable l, so that's mainly why I'm on air link. It's definitely not the best option because your playability is bottlenecked by the wireless connection. The higher you go in graphics and framerate the more artifacts and tearing you get as it tries to stream all that data

I didn't know that was a thing. Do you know where I can find it?
note I have not tried it myself yet. I believe it's not really fullynplayable right now due to no HUD so would need some work from FD

As a heads-up: the original key combo to glitch into first-person VR hasn’t worked for quite a while now - it was “fixed” when camera suite problems were addressed in one of the Updates.

Now you have to laboriously reposition one of the camera suite views to get the same effect, or stick with a Mass Effect style over-the-shoulder view. There is still the problem of no HUD or ability to interact with things.

I personally preferred the original glitch view as there was a proper first-person body where you could look down and watch your feet leave prints in alien soil.

As a heads-up: the original key combo to glitch into first-person VR hasn’t worked for quite a while now - it was “fixed” when camera suite problems were addressed in one of the Updates.

Now you have to laboriously reposition one of the camera suite views to get the same effect, or stick with a Mass Effect style over-the-shoulder view. There is still the problem of no HUD or ability to interact with things.

I personally preferred the original glitch view as there was a proper first-person body where you could look down and watch your feet leave prints in alien soil.
thanks for the info. like i said i have not actually tried it yet. my point really was that IF FD chose to however it would appear they are not that far off an almost servicable version at least as a "on your head be it experimental mode".

but this just proves how relying on hacks and glitches to get a feature to work is not ideal as it can end at any time.

All I wish for is for fdev to enable a 360° view (even 180° is ok) on foot as an in game graphic option .. don't need controllers, standing vr, room vr .. I'll stay seated, promise !
What is the reason why they support native VR in the code and then project a cinema screen on foot ?! .. who decided that ? .. everything is there to make it work .. is it politics ? lack of vision ? not big enough VR playerbase? .. as third parties can make it work through a 'glitch' that means it shouldn't be that expensive to make it an option. And that silence of fdev about VR just makes me sick, they just choose to ignore the VR players, sad.

Might be a dumb question but, does it make any difference if you lower the monitor resolution while playing VR, just seems like waste of resources to have it at 4K?

My system is not top notch but plays fairly nice in other games.

Ryzen 5 2600X
32GB Ram
SSD 970 EVO
RTX 3070Ti

All I wish for is for fdev to enable a 360° view (even 180° is ok) on foot as an in game graphic option .. don't need controllers, standing vr, room vr .. I'll stay seated, promise !
What is the reason why they support native VR in the code and then project a cinema screen on foot ?! .. who decided that ? .. everything is there to make it work .. is it politics ? lack of vision ? not big enough VR playerbase? .. as third parties can make it work through a 'glitch' that means it shouldn't be that expensive to make it an option. And that silence of fdev about VR just makes me sick, they just choose to ignore the VR players, sad.
You're right. The fact that this very thread was born for giving instructions about the Oculus DK2, -and it's still pinned- , tells everyone that support for VR was abandoned long ago.

Just come back t Elite after three years away.Upgraded to Odyssey - and VR does not work any longer. I have PiMax. Used to load PiTool, run Steam VR, then run Elite, and it would work. Now, nothing happens - no error code or anything. I sit in the Steam room like waiting for a cancelled train. Have I forgotten something?

Grey should mean the client's running - it should have an icon on the toolbar, separate to the launcher's. Possibly, you could instead have a crash message window (EDIT: Note that this window may not necessarily show up on the in-HMD copy of the desktop screen -- it seems to miss quite a few things, like every desktop-overtaking admin-authorisation request).

No idea what to suggest, other than verifying your files, and maybe deleting (back them up) your settings -- perhaps somebody else hears a bell ringing..?

Last edited:
Top Bottom