Patch Notes Update Elite Dangerous: Horizons patch 2.0.02

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I found what looked to be the perfect exploration game ( if it looks to good to be true... ) so I got it and a HOTAS. Watched a lot of youtube video's, read the forums & the guides ( one Beginners Guide assumed you had 3 ship upgrades & 6 million in credits.. I was LOL but that seems to be what you need to start this game ) I did everything I could to get some where with this game. Followed all the Recommended Steps and STILL Nothing... I brought the Life Time Pass, it said you got a Free Cobra when Horizons comes out... So I thought ok I'll be able to start off with a better ship & maybe that will help !!! All I want to do is fly around and explore systems and discover things..... LOL STUPID ME !!!! the cobra is 750,000 credits for me it might as well be 750 Billion credits !!!!! I'm having a harder & harder time talking my self into playing this game more :( I'd hate to thing of all the $$$ I wasted on it too. But it seems like I have less and less of a choice..

I sometimes wish ED was more like SC where I could buy a better ship that was fitted out for exploring, doesn't have to be top of the line. Just enough to let me fly around and enjoy some exploring.. But that's not going to happen, I know that. So I may ended up in the group of people the quits & leaves this game, no matter how hard I've tried to play it... Very Sad & Depressing, I'd love to play this game sooooo much....

When I started playing when ED launched it took me while to get better fsd so I could get myself to better places. I still remember that hitech place I could not reach with crappy fsd. With some trading you get easily hauler and that's your first exploration vessel. I did my first explorings in hauler and adder. It's not that hard. But of course I had nostalgy in my side.

@ Tazzer-R
They say that the journey is better than the destination. Take your time and the credits will start building up faster than you think.
If you go into Resource Extraction sites, and you have a sidewinder, watch for wanted ships that are already being attacked, then wait until they're almost done, then get in a shot and reap the rewards ...
Then get a "Kill Warrant Scanner" and scan the ships before you get your shot in and the rewards will be much higher ...

I sometimes wish ED was more like SC where I could buy a better ship that was fitted out for exploring, doesn't have to be top of the line. Just enough to let me fly around and enjoy some exploring.. But that's not going to happen, I know that. So I may ended up in the group of people the quits & leaves this game, no matter how hard I've tried to play it... Very Sad & Depressing, I'd love to play this game sooooo much....

@Tazzer-R I'm sorry but... WHAT? SC isn't even a game, and who knows what the exploration will be like... I have trouble following your logic here. I don't think buying a virtual ship with real money will be rewarding.

I did all my exploring in a HAULER. You can updgrade that thing into an explorer for dirt cheap! And it will give you something close to 30ly range! Amazing little ship.

I think you are seriously exaggerating your issues and it would be a shame to quit now. Get a Hauler, do some light cargo missions, and get enough money to buy a great FSD and Fuel Scoop and you are ready to go!

MSG ME if you want, maybe we could wing up and do some bounty hunting together to get you enough money for your upgrades.

Last edited:
I found what looked to be the perfect exploration game ( if it looks to good to be true... ) so I got it and a HOTAS. Watched a lot of youtube video's, read the forums & the guides ( one Beginners Guide assumed you had 3 ship upgrades & 6 million in credits.. I was LOL but that seems to be what you need to start this game ) I did everything I could to get some where with this game. Followed all the Recommended Steps and STILL Nothing... I brought the Life Time Pass, it said you got a Free Cobra when Horizons comes out... So I thought ok I'll be able to start off with a better ship & maybe that will help !!! All I want to do is fly around and explore systems and discover things..... LOL STUPID ME !!!! the cobra is 750,000 credits for me it might as well be 750 Billion credits !!!!! I'm having a harder & harder time talking my self into playing this game more :( I'd hate to thing of all the $$$ I wasted on it too. But it seems like I have less and less of a choice..

So you wish ED was pay-to-win, one of the things that makes ED special is it is not pay-to-win and never will be. isn't there enough pay-to-win out there for you cant we have one proper space simulation.

You aren't doing it right. It can be slow going at first. But that's fine. Don't think you'll start at the top.

The Cobra you were talking about is the Cobra Mk IV, which isn't really a good ship except for hauling and maybe mining. But they never said you get it for free. They said you get access to it, but you still have to buy it with in-game funds.

Ok. Here's what you do. Work your way up. Get a hauler and then run cargo and do missions. Upgrade the heck out of the thing before you go on to another ship. You will find when you go to trade it in, it is worth more than the ship you are buying resulting in the game refunding you the difference. Once you get a new ship, do the same thing. Run cargo, do missions and upgrade the heck out of it.

I recently wiped my save. A couple of days after Release of Horizons. I just today bought a Cobra Mk III. And I got 180k back from the viper I was in due to the upgrades. Now I've got to run cargo and do missions so I can upgrade that enough I can head out for Robigo. I also have to have enough money for bribing the Robigo faction so I can get good missions. They pay quite a bit, like 750k and you can stack them, but you have to know how to smuggle and not get scanned. The reason it's so much is because it is like 350 ly to the nearest mission target. That's why you need a good fuel scoop. Just to get there, and then you can use it on the way back.

I know, How do I know what cargo to run and where. Go to Thrudd's or eddb.io. They have good information there about trade runs. They aren't always 100% accurate, but you will make a profit using one or both of those sites. Also you can pick up EDMarketConnector. That will allow you to send information to eddb.io. Just google it. EDMarketConnector.

If your not aware, before you buy new ship (unless your keeping old ship) go to outfitting first sell all or downgrade to lowest class you can for modules then sell your ship. The 10% reduction on selling ship is on the ship only so selling your expensive modules first means you don't loose 10% on your modules. Ie stock cobra III price loss is 36k a fully kitted 10mil cobra III price loss is 1mil. Selling modules first gains you ~966k

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that man. In the beginning the learning curve is steep, but once you get the hang of it... it's so involving, rewarding and satisfying. Tip: Do simple smuggler missions, avoid being scanned by speeding past the police scanning putside the large stations

Elite is difficult to get the hang of at first, but once you do... you will like it
)

The learning curve in Elite is far from steep; I can only imagine that anyone who would suggest otherwise is easily challenged. The only thing that presents any sort of difficulty is learning to control your ship using FA OFF, and even that should be fairly easy for anyone who has played realistic flight sims.

The learning curve in Elite is far from steep; I can only imagine that anyone who would suggest otherwise is easily challenged. The only thing that presents any sort of difficulty is learning to control your ship using FA OFF, and even that should be fairly easy for anyone who has played realistic flight sims.

If you've never played a flight sim, the learning curve is very steep. If you've played a lot of flight sims, is isn't nearly as steep. If you've played other space flight games, it should be even less steep, but every game has their own little idiosyncrasies that everyone has to learn.

I got started same as everyone else. Went to a type 6 and did smuggling missions. You'd be surprised how much you can make. Eventually I had enough to get the ASP selling the type 6 and Cobra. Then I finished outfitting the ASP, but that's the more expensive route. Get the Diamond Back Explorer if you really want to get out there for less.

The thing is though, I've kind of eclipsed all of that, been to Sag A, the far side of the galaxy exploring, and I'm almost to elite in exploration and I've barely played for a few months now. Over 1500 hours sank into the game. I love this game, but I'm finding it less and less appealing as time goes on. Its a sandbox space sim, but in the end I think that will be what keeps people from staying. Its not so much a game that can be measured by sub numbers, but rather by how many people are logging in and sinking time into it. I've noticed that far fewer of my friends are on anymore, and those that are, aren't on for long, myself included.

I used to stream this game all the time on twitch being featured on the ED community page a few times, and it just seems that even the audiences that watched some of the larger elite streamers have dwindled quite a bit.

FDev needs to give people a reason, perhaps a call to arms of some kind, to keep people engaged in the game either via story or content. As it stands right now, there's nothing overly rewarding about the game that will keep it fresh and entertaining for the masses, and a company can not sustain itself or software development on a hardcore space sim minority of players. I'm one of those who also got the lifetime pass.

I hope that FDev will help make the story more pronounced (although not required), with social aspects of the game that bring players together, and perhaps work toward a common goal. Player identity is important, and feeling part of something can bring people together and create inspiration for quite some time to come.

But I digress with my rambling.

If you want to get out there exploring, there are many options to do so. I did smuggling with a T6 until I could afford the ASP, and then smuggled in it as its a good "all around" ship until I had the funds to fully upgrade it and outfit it for exploration. You can do that too, either with ASP, or the DBX, or like one poster above mentioned, even with the Hauler.

Best of luck, and fly safe! <3

Last edited:

This former fighter pilot thinks that is a *very* arrogant statement. :(

If you've never played a flight sim, the learning curve is very steep. If you've played a lot of flight sims, is isn't nearly as steep. If you've played other space flight games, it should be even less steep, but every game has their own little idiosyncrasies that everyone has to learn.

I'm hilariously bad at flying aircraft and such in every game I've played, and I picked up on ED very quickly. It's really an extraordinarily simple, easy game to grasp. Eve's tutorial for new players would utterly stump you if you have trouble with anything in ED (although to be fair, that game is ridiculous on pretty much every level).

I'm not sure where this whole "flight sim" thing is coming from. We're flying spaceships in the 3300s. I've never played a flight sim, but ED seems rather arcade-ish. Who knows how to "simulate" a spacecraft that far into the future?

Last edited:
It's as easy to fly as you want to make it I suppose and a lot of it is about perspective.

I have thousands of hours in "realistic" sims, Longbow 2, IL2, Rise of FLight, F4 BMS, DCS etc yada yada... yawn

Never flown a real aircraft and would probably be horrendously dangerous but would love to try it someday.

For people who say this is easy I think a lot of it is bravado.

A challenge for me at least is landing perfectly, on the spot, at outposts in as short a time as possible without wiping out ( and that happens :) )

A combination of thrusters, forward and reverse, and FA off, is a lot of fun,,, especially if you add alchohol into the mix !

I can do the sort of things in the game that I would (and should) get nicked for in real life.

Love it...:D

Give me a break, flying in the vacuum of space is completely different from flying in a thick atmosphere such as the earths, this statement stinks of big noting oneself and a touch of ignorance. i don't know what kind of flight sim your referring too but whatever it was it was not realistic.

The leaning curve in Elite Dangerous is not just about flight and landings and how to do it. There's combat, learning the control method, the key/control bindings, how the bgs works, how the missions work and a lot of other things. I'm still learning things and I've been playing since Release in December '14.

Give me a break, flying in the vacuum of space is completely different from flying in a thick atmosphere such as the earths, this statement stinks of big noting oneself and a touch of ignorance. i don't know what kind of flight sim your referring too but whatever it was it was not realistic.

Flight assist is turned on by default, you know -- and it makes flying in ED trivially easy.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

The leaning curve in Elite Dangerous is not just about flight and landings and how to do it. There's combat, learning the control method, the key/control bindings, how the bgs works, how the missions work and a lot of other things. I'm still learning things and I've been playing since Release in December '14.

There's not many keys you'll be using on a regular basis. Supercruise, landing gear, boost, yaw and pitch, going forwards and backwards, and... well, that's about it, as far as actual flight is concerned. And after an hour or two of tinkering around in training missions, you're pretty much adept at flying.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom