UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I feel like these are the barnacles we are looking for as someone else said earlier:

View attachment 93764

Also, the thrusters pointing down means the world is equal or higher than 1g, not necessarily exacly 1. I don't think this is mandatory for the random spawn ones though.

BTW, if these are the barnacles (I strongly believe so) they seem to be at different stages of maturity so if they can spawn separately, they may or may not be emitting light.

I would consider that picture as more like a mining outpost for the "others" than maturing UA (this is how i guess we will get the meta alloys by killing the living mining drill -my theory- ) . We could also be looking for a launching site to send them into space. any how it needs to be very big for us to see it from 10to 15 km (in order to cover a lot of ground)and I hope I will once found appear as a POI on your surface map.

I would consider that picture as more like a mining outpost for the "others" than maturing UA (this is how i guess we will get the meta alloys by killing the living mining drill -my theory- ) . We could also be looking for a launching site to send them into space. any how it needs to be very big for us to see it from 10to 15 km (in order to cover a lot of ground)and I hope I will once found appear as a POI on your surface map.

I'm not suggesting they are maturing UAs. They can very well have nothing to do with them. I'm just talking about the opened up, glowing pods vs the closed, smaller ones in this picture.

Ok this concerns me, can someone please check my maths.

If we assume the Horizons trailer does show the barnacles.

It's on a 1g world (Due to SRV thruster angle)

Earth is a 1g planet and is 510,072,000 km squared

So if we say a SRV has a 1km scan range and travels at 30km per hour it would take 1,939.58 years to search earth for a Barnacle!!! (That's assuming we knew which planet to search).

Have I messed up somewhere or does FD expect a player to live 1,939 years? I must have my maths wrong? Help!

The mass of a planet does not directly effect it's size.

It could mean any number of things. The Bubble, for example. Or the Shell. Or the Core. Or systems with black holes. Or it could mean within a certain distance of a certain system (e.g. within 20 Ly of Polaris). It's easy to say it obviously meant nebulae now, but that's with the benefit of hindsight (which, as they say, is 20/20).
No, Red, it doesn't. It's comforting to think that, but if we're being honest, it must be nebulae. The others are nice distractions, but as I said, the nebulae are the only ones that are easy to make out.
Black Holes are usually alone and don't form regions aside from the Event Horizon which is quite useless to us.
Nebulae are the only not arbitrarily defined regions. Everything else is defined by mankind or another agent, our bubble, the shell, etc.

Don't wanna argue here, but only make clear that I think that we've gotten side-tracked with the other options despite them not actually being viable. Not that this really matters much now.

Someone has probably already said this, but Michael Brookes said "The Seven Sisters", so can't the search simply be limited to, Maia, Electra, Alcyone, Taygete, Asterope, Celaeno and Merope?

Someone has probably already said this, but Michael Brookes said "The Seven Sisters", so can't the search simply be limited to, Maia, Electra, Alcyone, Taygete, Asterope, Celaeno and Merope?

MB said "Nebulae are good places to look, especially the one with the seven sisters in it." So he is talking about the nebulae with the seven sisters in it, which possible means the whole nebulae.

Pleiades Sector HR-W d1-79 has two landable rocky moons.
Every planet in the system has an atmosphere and they are all high metal content.
Its inside the nebula

Very possible. Worth a look

We should also continue to sell UAs from the bubble into maia ( as well as iapodes, 49 arietis and ngalia*** Tall enterprise***) and see what happens.

There could be some mist on the planet, but what you're seeing in that still is from lifting the brightness in the shadows, so it definitely wouldn't be as misty as the brightened stills.

Here's another version I did after the trailer came out with some very light color grading to try and even everything out from the green light contamination:

Focusing on the lit ground, it's not an Icy World - that's about the only conclusion I can draw though.

Last edited:
It's probably been noted but the Maia system also has "Seven Sisters"

3 class Y dwarf
2 class T dwarf
1 class L dwarf
1 class M star

all orbiting Maia.

Correction the three Y's are orbiting the black hole i think.

Focusing on the lit ground would seem to not be an Icy World - that's about the only conclusion I can draw though.

Those moons around the dwarfs orbiting Maia'a black hole must me pretty dark right? It's about 360,000 Ls out isn't it?

Last edited:
Very possible. Worth a look

We should also continue to sell UAs from the bubble into maia ( as well as iapodes, 49 arietis and ngalia*** Tall enterprise***) and see what happens.

Instead of having to argue with you every couple of pages where you spam your idea, how about you add a note that the Canonn has officially stated that this is dumb and undesirable.

I just found an Ammonia World with several landable planets nearby in the California Nebula.
If we assume Thargoids (don't jump me, I know, we're not sure) this may mean something.
I'll be staying for a while and look around.

Ok this concerns me, can someone please check my maths.

If we assume the Horizons trailer does show the barnacles.

It's on a 1g world (Due to SRV thruster angle)

Earth is a 1g planet and is 510,072,000 km squared

So if we say a SRV has a 1km scan range and travels at 30km per hour it would take 1,939.58 years to search earth for a Barnacle!!! (That's assuming we knew which planet to search).

Have I messed up somewhere or does FD expect a player to live 1,939 years? I must have my maths wrong? Help!

This is what I don't understand.

Firstly let's discount the POI's for the moment, and just assume we are trying to locate a persistant, static Barnacle. Now, consider that the size of them is likely to be smaller than a settlement / city. Settlements are barely visible from very high up - just a few pixels in size. People have stated that the crashed persistant Anaconda's can be seen from around ~15km up, that also suggests they can't be seen beyond ~15km on a horizontal view (landscape allowing). And that's when you known where to look for them. No way then that a Barnacle can be seen from very high up if they are Anaconda sized.

So on a planet that is Earth sized, you have 510,072,000 km squared. The object you are looking for cannot be seen beyond ~15km distance. That makes the odds of discovering a persistant wreck very, very small even on a single planet. People are even having trouble finding persistent downed Anaconda's when they have the sites coordinates (and from experience I can say they are not easy to find). Throw in an entire nebula full of planets and possibly moons (we don't know if we are limited to just planets of a certain type / size after all), and it starts to seem more than a little crazy.

Barnacles in POI are a different story perhaps, as those spawn dictated by whatever parameters Frontier set - so that is just a case of getting the right POI when in the right location. Maybe...perhaps. Possibly...

Last edited:
No, Red, it doesn't. It's comforting to think that, but if we're being honest, it must be nebulae. The others are nice distractions, but as I said, the nebulae are the only ones that are easy to make out.
Black Holes are usually alone and don't form regions aside from the Event Horizon which is quite useless to us.
Nebulae are the only not arbitrarily defined regions. Everything else is defined by mankind or another agent, our bubble, the shell, etc.

Don't wanna argue here, but only make clear that I think that we've gotten side-tracked with the other options despite them not actually being viable. Not that this really matters much now.

The meta alloys description doesn't actually mention 'regions'. It think the wording is 'parts of space'.
I think thats a quite open description.

I came across another Nav point on Pleiades Sector DL-Y D65 1 and recorded a video and did what I could to isolate the morse code... anyone here any good at decoding morse? :)
[video=youtube_share;6MAfq_qylZA]https://youtu.be/6MAfq_qylZA[/video]

Ahem...after posting the g-force thruster experiment and the enhanced screenie, i focused alot of searching on regarding planets the last 2 days.
Yesterday it struck me....no one of us posed the question:

Why the heck are nebulae a good spot to search for them?

What makes them unusal? Why do they favor a barnacle to be found in them?

This is what I don't understand.

Firstly let's discount the POI's for the moment, and just assume we are trying to locate a persistant, static Barnacle. Now, consider that the size of them is likely to be smaller than a settlement / city. Settlements are barely visible from very high up - just a few pixels in size. People have stated that the crashed persistant Anaconda's can be seen from around ~15km up, that also suggests they can't be seen beyond ~15km on a horizontal view (landscape allowing). And that's when you known where to look for them. No way then that a Barnacle can be seen from very high up if they are Anaconda sized.

So on a planet that is Earth sized, you have 510,072,000 km squared. The object you are looking for cannot be seen beyond ~15km distance. That makes the odds of discovering a persistant wreck very, very small even on a single planet. People are even having trouble finding persistent downed Anaconda's when they have the sites coordinates (and from experience I can say they are not easy to find). Throw in an entire nebula full of planets and possibly moons (we don't know if we are limited to just planets of a certain type / size after all), and it starts to seem more than a little crazy.

Barnacles in POI are a different story perhaps, as those spawn dictated by whatever parameters Frontier set - so that is just a case of getting the right POI when in the right location. Maybe...perhaps. Possibly...

It's these facts that are making me think we shouldn't just be "combing the desert" as it were, but instead should be searching and following up on any leads that may result in a clue about a more accurate location of at least one barnacle. I'm following up the Peregrina angle, I haven't seen confirmation that anyone has checked the stations there for news articles and hung around to see if anything interesting happens. Places that Galnet has mentioned in relation to the UAs might be good, Palin was investigating under the Federation and maybe there is something there to give a hint, and just checking every local news source of every station you dock at might be a good idea incase you stumble across anything.
Also there could be something left to decipher from the UA's.

If we carry on just looking blindly we could very well spend hundreds of hours each with no success and end up giving up on the whole thing when if we'd spent some of that time searching around for answers we might have come to the solution far sooner.

I personally plan to become Command Squiggsy: Ace Detective and have me some fun

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom