UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Asking again, since i believe that will bring up something to look for in our search.
I'm not an astro guy so i have no ide why it's a special place.

Because Micheal Brookes flat out told us in the last thread is why, it's pretty much the entire reason the search has intensified.

Last edited:
Because Micheal Brookes flat out told us in the last thread is why, it's pretty much the entire reason the search has intensified.

I belive you are missing his point, he was saying that we haven't considered WHY they are found in nebulae. What reasoning is there for that being the location they are found? He's not asking why we are searching there/ how we know they are there.

I belive you are missing his point, he was saying that we haven't considered WHY they are found in nebulae. What reasoning is there for that being the location they are found? He's not asking why we are searching there/ how we know they are there.

Harvesting interstellar gas to do... something?

They don't like to see stars in the sky?

They like the pretty colours?

The nebula is actually a giant brain and the UAs are some component of it?

*Shrug*

However, I will say that UAs have already been taken all over space by a variety of CMDRs and they always, ALWAYS point TO Merope.

A way to show this is to take the Same UA to a system one side of Merope, deploy it, watch it point to Merope. Then take it to a system the opposite side of Merope. Deply it again and see how it still points AT Merope.

I would have to say that the notion they point TO Merope is moot. That makes certain assumptions that I don't think are supported by evidence. What can be said is that they orient themselves along a vector that passes through Merope.

To say that they point to Merope implies things such as...

They are simply an indicator set up by FD to pinpoint a search area. The search area might not be Merope itself - Merope might have been an arbitrarily chosen location within the Pleiades, the general nebular region being the thing hinted at. That's an out-of-game perspective.

An in-game perspective entails trying to work out the what and why stuff. The notion that they are pointing towards or away from Merope depends on what they're doing and why, and we know very little in that regard. They could be probes heading outwards (pointing away). They could be a static perimeter detection array (pointing towards).

Are we sure the nav beacons say BROKEN? I mean, they are out of order. Maybe they are saying KORBEN??? We need Korben Dallas to solve this. Someone go find him.

On another note.. I'm enjoying reading 10 pages every morning while having my coffee. :)

Last edited:
I would have to say that the notion they point TO Merope is moot. That makes certain assumptions that I don't think are supported by evidence. What can be said is that they orient themselves along a vector that passes through Merope.

To say that they point to Merope implies things such as...

They are simply an indicator set up by FD to pinpoint a search area. The search area might not be Merope itself - Merope might have been an arbitrarily chosen location within the Pleiades, the general nebular region being the thing hinted at. That's an out-of-game perspective.

The problem is, that if the thing we are looking for is not in Merope, then the task if conducting a search for whatever it is goes from enormous to impossible. The planets in Merope have a landable surface area of around 50% of the size of the Earth's surface, and the estimated time to search that area is in the tens of thousands of player-hours.

If $THING not in Merope and we have to comb the entire Pleiades nebula, then that task multiplies several times. In that case there's a decent chance that we will never find it. We have to assume that FD want this story to proceed, and that the Barnacles are in a place where we could reasonably find them. That's why we need to focus on Merope.

Heres the rest of my data. I'll check out your spreadsheet soon. I was planning on doing the sisters later for a break in planet scouring

8okeNmX.png

Yes, indeed I did misunderstand then. SorryEriclas.

After I saw squiggsy's post, this was my first thought too :D

No problem at all.
I just thought there must be at least some reasoning behind the decision to put them into nebulae.

As i said i'm no astro-guy so my first thought was, there is never a really dark side of a planet in a nebula.
When you go there after a short while the light from the nebula makes it as bright as if the sun would lighten the surface.
So spotting anything on the surface while flying would be possible.
That's could be a design decision then.

(Sidenote: that would indicate, that the places in the trailer have been chosen just to have nice backgrounds for dramatical optical reasons, like in the UA trailer)

But maybe there is a scientific reason behind the decision. Something that favors barnacles inside nebulaes that couldn't be found outside of them.

Another theory:
- They UA's could be distress beacons. Launched from a failing mother ship. They are travelling out pointing to the system where the ship has crashed and moving outwards scanning for ships it recognises.

Every time I search another system other than Merope I feel like im moving further away from an obvious pointed finger saying, look here. :/

MY 2 cents for the day before I head out to Lave and then back into the search

The pleiades stars-

In Greek mythology, the Pleiades were seven sisters: Maia, Electra,Alcyone, Taygete, Asterope, Celaeno and Merope. Their parents were Atlas, a Titan who held up the sky, and the oceanid Pleione, the protectress of sailing.

on the behaviour and name of the ua's - If the little guys (ua's) are barnacles, and we are trying to find large barnacles perhaps the little guys are a form of spora (young barnacle - just like the animal) that wanders around looking for a good place to permenantly attach (some particulars to a specific planet) once attached they would then call further spora to come and settle in as close as possible to each other mate and send out further spora. If this is the case the large barnacles may move around somewhat etc (a la eventually show up on planets where they were not before.

I think we should first - monitor the merope shell - is it expanding or contracting? if contracting maybe the large barnicles haven't quite made it all the way into merope yet - may be just further out in the nebula. If expanding then they should be in the center of the nebula moving out.

Has anyone tried letting one pop in orbit before searching for random poi's on the planet? Perhaps they need to "seed" in some fashion. Or even popping a few on the ground before starting the search.

Also has anyone tried looking around on planets in the UA shell? In theory they have to be coming from somewhere.

Think I may peak around the UA shell on my way back.

Spent the day surveying the pleiades. Maia, Merope and Electra. no success :( POI are stupidly common to do a propper search. cant believe the amount of human built structures you can find just going on a stright line.

Ive notice that sounds of the signals as you fly by change from building to shipwrecks, its either that or im going crazy. Can anyone confirm this? or am i just hearing the ship normal sounds?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom