UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Just FYI:
I had a strange encounter on Maia A 7. While I was checking out a POI and flying into the center of it in about 1.2km height, I got distracted and started to fall. While I made my descent, I boosted up to get out of the gravity well as usual. After completion of the boost and getting back to 900m-ish, my heat started spiking for no reason I could see and I started taking heat damage. I panicked and crashed my asp into the dust of the 3.8g world. :(

I have no explanation for the heat so far. It should not be possible to be friction due to atmosphere, because Maia A 7 has none to create it I think. Otherwise we would not be able to land on it at this stage of horizons, right? I have crashed my ship on this godforsaken rock before and made similar maneuvers too without the heat spiking. I just wish I could have taken a look at that POI to see if it were anything out of the ordinary causing this before the ship broke apart...

This happened to me also, although I did not crash my ship, I think I managed to record the strange heat damage event. It was like I hit a hotspot. I was in my conda and thought it was just gravity causing my thrusters to overheat. Not sure if it was the same planet. Will check when I get to my PC

There could be some mist on the planet, but what you're seeing in that still is from lifting the brightness in the shadows, so it definitely wouldn't be as misty as the brightened stills.

Here's another version I did after the trailer came out with some very light color grading to try and even everything out from the green light contamination:

Not sure I agree with you- your version also looks a bit misty to me.
Looking at the version that Cmdr Icefire posted, where one can see further into the distance, the thing that strikes me is that there are absolutely NO stars visible or any other astronomical objects. OK, it could be very misty so probably deep within a nebula (was beginning to think they might be in lava tubes on a planet with volcanism, or a cave, but I thank that hypothesis is ruled out by the fact that you can see at least two, possibly three, rises in the ground). So I don't think that there are ANY clues in this picture, other than the G indication from the SRV thruster angle.

P.S. I suspect the meta-alloys may be the octagonal pods along the length of the spikes; pity- the podules on a UA look like cargo containers to me & that would have answered the question how we might be able to harvest meta-alloys as a commodity.

It's probably been noted but the Maia system also has "Seven Sisters"

3 class Y dwarf
2 class T dwarf
1 class L dwarf
1 class M star

all orbiting Maia.

Correction the three Y's are orbiting the black hole i think.

Last edited:
I'm curious if anybody would like to wing up? I'm really intrigued by this and would love to jump into it. But i'm finding it a bit lonely in space lol, would be much more interesting with others. If you are interested in winging up, just send a pm. Hope to see people soon.

It would be nice to see more wings organised here. Apparently we have a Private Group "The Canonn" & Teamspeak arrangements. I have not tried either of those myself, but are people winging up to do an organised search for Barnacles? Or are we all blindly doing our own thing as Cmdr Eddy suggested in post #937? I would have been Barnacle hunting myself since Friday, but have spent all my free time since Friday breakfast trying to keep up with the posts in this & thread 4.

Edited for typos!

Second edit- I have tried to find Private Group "The Canonn" or "The Milkyway" as someone suggested it was named, & the server wouldn't find them!

Last edited:

3 class Y dwarf
2 class T dwarf
1 class L dwarf
1 class M star

all orbiting Maia.

Interesting. No harm in checking it out, even those aren't the "seven sisters" we're looking for we'll still be looking in THE "Seven Sisters".

It would be nice to see more wings organised here. Apparently we have a Private Group "The Canonn" & Teamspeak arrangements. I have not tried either of those myself, but are people winging up to do an organised search for Barnacles? Or are we all blindly doing our own thing as Cmdr Eddy suggested in post #937? I would have been Barnacle hunting myself since Friday, but have spent all my free time since Friday breakfast tryong to kleep up with the posts in this & thread 4.

If you "Wing" then you start to get instancing problems ! Team speak is good see here http://canonn.science/resource/

If you play Mobius or Open then any finds someone can help with
The Canonn group is still being set up ! needs some more admin before it of any use
Will be in game myself soon, feel free to friend request
Fly safe 07

Last edited:
This happened to me also, although I did not crash my ship, I think I managed to record the strange heat damage event. It was like I hit a hotspot. I was in my conda and thought it was just gravity causing my thrusters to overheat. Not sure if it was the same planet. Will check when I get to my PC

If barnacles are kind of like thermal vent creatures of the deep sea, maybe these hotspots are what we are looking for...indications of heat venting from the planet.

my theory on the heat : Encountered this before ,well before horizons so its no surprise.

Just the way i fly maybe make it more obvious. Your trajectory and your boost opposing, so youre afterburner is blasting heat behind you which you are falling into. Entering youre own jetstream.

I encountered it in the past , leaving a starport with your next jump behind the station, boost ahead not turning round until outside masslock. charge jump during flight assist off to line up on jump while still traveling backwards.
Just before jump is ready boost forwards to forward jump velocity. The deceleration period of youre ship youre flying through youre boost until you stop and accelerate forward again and heat does build a little or a lot depending on ship.

As for planets, high G specially , youre fall vs acceleration is a lot higher, experienced it a lot on the high G planets. Higher G longer time to counter gravity and longer cooking time.
A more controlled and less panicked boost is needed but you know how it is when youre Falling Down ;)

Aquired quite a few dents last night alone, 4.16G 40% hull after one hiccup, returned for repairs and was fine until later on, got sleepy around craters and 30% hulled it as i saw this cliff face come from nowhere as i was opening my eyes.

Last edited:

3 class Y dwarf
2 class T dwarf
1 class L dwarf
1 class M star

all orbiting Maia.

Interesting. No harm in checking it out, even those aren't the "seven sisters" we're looking for we'll still be looking in THE "Seven Sisters".

Yeah I found it interesting because MB's comment's coincided with the Galnet post about Obsidian Orbitals malfunctioning. Maybe the "burning through resources remark" refers obliquely to the seven sisters (6 of which are dwarfs) in the system?

Wild speculation.

Pleiades Sector HR-W d1-79 has two landable rocky moons.
Every planet in the system has an atmosphere and they are all high metal content.
Its inside the nebula

Ok this concerns me, can someone please check my maths.

If we assume the Horizons trailer does show the barnacles.

It's on a 1g world (Due to SRV thruster angle)

Earth is a 1g planet and is 510,072,000 km squared

So if we say a SRV has a 1km scan range and travels at 30km per hour it would take 1,939.58 years to search earth for a Barnacle!!! (That's assuming we knew which planet to search).

Have I messed up somewhere or does FD expect a player to live 1,939 years? I must have my maths wrong? Help!

Just FYI:
I had a strange encounter on Maia A 7. While I was checking out a POI and flying into the center of it in about 1.2km height, I got distracted and started to fall. While I made my descent, I boosted up to get out of the gravity well as usual. After completion of the boost and getting back to 900m-ish, my heat started spiking for no reason I could see and I started taking heat damage. I panicked and crashed my asp into the dust of the 3.8g world. :(

I have no explanation for the heat so far. It should not be possible to be friction due to atmosphere, because Maia A 7 has none to create it I think. Otherwise we would not be able to land on it at this stage of horizons, right? I have crashed my ship on this godforsaken rock before and made similar maneuvers too without the heat spiking. I just wish I could have taken a look at that POI to see if it were anything out of the ordinary causing this before the ship broke apart...

Looks like Maia a 7 has silicate vapour geysers volcanism, maybe you flew over a vent?
I have a feeling they might be ingame but we can't see them yet

Looking at this picture i will say that this surface don't look like an ice one but more rocky\dusty, and for sure is not inside a canyon (you can cleary see that from the other very light up picture in this topic) I'm not a surface expert but if lets say there is just one static point with large bernacles at the moment and we can say that is located not on ice surface our resarch can be a little bit easier.

So if we say a SRV has a 1km scan range and travels at 30km per hour it would take 1,939.58 years to search earth for a Barnacle!!! (That's assuming we knew which planet to search).

Have I messed up somewhere or does FD expect a player to live 1,939 years? I must have my maths wrong? Help!

Most of the planets with 1g in the Nebula are High metal content/ metal rich, and so more dense than earth, this means they do not have to be the same radius to achieve the same level of gravity.
Also the SRV travels at 30m/s not 30km/h and you should probably be looking in your ship really not in your SRV, which travels at more like 1000km/h and has a larger view range.

It's still a bit of a rediculous task, as I've said many times now there is bound to be another clue we've missed and I've been searching for it but have yet to find it. I tried looking at local news stories from all the places people got the mission and from all the systems near the Pleiades, I've looked over the UA's a lot but haven't come up with much. I want to try a few other things still but I'm beginning to think that if they put a clue in they hid it a bit too well (or it's hidden in plain sight and we'll kick ourselves when we eventually find it).

If we think back to people suggesting that plague world in Peregrina (something like that) have we looked for local news stories in stations in that system to see if they have news? I don't have a permit but I might work on that today because its the best thing I can think of and searching planets again last night reminded me of how futile it seems.
I definitely think some of us should head out looking for clues.

Last edited:
I have a question for Mr. Brookes: can the barnacles appear in nebulae everywhere, or is their spawning affected by the distance cut-off as well? By that, I mean that above a certain distance, only wreck PoI-s seem to spawn, and things like smuggler bases are absent.

Clearly need a better way of searching than using the SRV if you're looking for fixed spawns. As I've said previously fixed PoI's are visible from a long way up as long as there's no shadows and haze, which only show up during the planet daytime as far as I can tell. I've personally covered a decent chunk of Merope 2A from the air like this. Makes it feel much more do-able.

I feel like these are the barnacles we are looking for as someone else said earlier:

barnacle.jpg

Also, the thrusters pointing down means the world is equal or higher than 1g, not necessarily exacly 1. I don't think this is mandatory for the random spawn ones though.

BTW, if these are the barnacles (I strongly believe so) they seem to be at different stages of maturity so if they can spawn separately, they may or may not be emitting light.

Last edited:
Please don't discourage this work. I know we didn't get a result before, but we have many new eyes and ears now, with many fields of expertise. Personally, I think this is still worth reinvestigating.

I would not say my "knowledge is wrong". I stand by my statement. I understand that the purrs have been analyzed already but the fact remains that nobody has made heads or tails of the purrs.

Sorry for any misunderstanding, I don't want to discourage anyone: I was just remembering to everyone that not only the chittering was deeply exploded as you said: the Purrs had a huge attention from researchers. So you could take advantage of what was already done. That's all.
So please go on, but knowing what was already done.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom