UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Just came to my mind.. has anyone found a meta-alloy and put it near a UA to see what happens? Or has taken MA to pleiades/merope ?

Speculation alert? :D

OMG it's a wormhole! I just realised. That's why the game points us so close to a BH! I always wondered the UA corrosion was just a coincidence, I mean if we'd give nuclear reactor to an amazonian tribe they would be killed by it as well. They will power it up and the artifact simply points to Merope beacuse it already has the navigation programming in it.
Whoever wants to establish contact want's to ensure their guns won't kill us on the other side so they map our vessels and make an IFF thingy.

Mytery solved. Now we wait.

I'm sure barnacles were meant to simply replace raisin in cookies.

So looking back at the trailer now after having searched for a bit I think there are some observations that can be made.

The barnacles appears to be in a "misty" area, my understanding is that only some planets have "mist" it's something to do with organic matter or something.

Am I right in saying that this "mist" tends to appears in craters.

So there you may be able to rule out a bunch of planets, the ones that don't have the mist, and potentially a bunch of areas.

The nest thing, most places I've been looking are tidally locked, as I understand it this means one side always faces what they're orbiting.

Given the trailers shows a place in twilight or maybe dark(?), this means that if the body your searching orbits the main light source of the system then you probably should be checking the fully lit areas.

If what your checking does not orbit the main light source, ie it's a moon well it could be anywhere.

i would also say that these things seem to have green lights, they should be visible at ~2km up.

I dunno, maybe that helps narrow things down a bit?

I've been getting close enough to planets to find 'mist'. It generally appears in very low-land areas of planets and moons that have volcanism. These low-land areas are usually in craters and canyons but can cover a large surface area too.

If any CMDRs have time and are able, and want a good example, go and visit 'Ariel', one of Neptune's moons in the Sol system. I suspect it is THAT kind of thing that we are looking for. A planet that is misty enough to obscure the night sky.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Just came to my mind.. has anyone found a meta-alloy and put it near a UA to see what happens? Or has taken MA to pleiades/merope ?

We have literally never found a Meta-Alloy yet. That is part of the current search. Rest assured I will be rubbing UAs over everything new that we find ;)

Here is a recording from inside the SRV at Merope 3C -49.4478 -39.6207. Wave scanner off, game music off.

[video=youtube;HBNX4ZIDZrM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBNX4ZIDZrM[/video]

Merope 3C really has weird sounds... i heard chirping similar to the UA sounds from inside my ship, while landed. it sounded like it was coming from a particular direction but my game crashed... twice! something is definitely going on.

Meaby is irrilevant, but from the picture of the trailer of what we suppose to be the large bernacles we cant see any stars in the sky, is that normal? When i land on dark side of bodies i can always see a lot of stars\bodies at the horizone

Last edited:
Since no one seemed to show any love to Merope 2's moons, I went and searched them. The usual. These have the creepy ambient noises too like the Merope 3s though so if someone can confirm if it's a Merope thing or it is the case for other systems as well, it would be swell.

Edit: These are probably the ambient sound of the inside of the ship when thrusters are off ans ship is idle. No need to get enthusiastic about them if you ask me.

Last edited:
Meaby is irrilevant, but from the picture of the trailer of what we suppose to be the large bernacles we cant see any stars in the sky, is that normal? When i land on dark side of bodies i can always see a lot of stars\bodies at the horizone

I *think*, though am not 100% sure, that this is what shows it is a misty area of a planet.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I'm very surprised that no-one has found a Barnacle POI yet.

Given how long it took to find a UA in the first place I'm not surprised at all haha :)

Deleted member 38366

D
Merope 3C really has weird sounds... i heard chirping similar to the UA sounds from inside my ship, while landed. it sounded like it was coming from a particular direction but my game crashed... twice! something is definitely going on.

I had the same after a while in various locations.

Keep in mind while landed the Ship is basically powered off, giving you the normal idle SFX that sets in after some 15-20sec anytime you're idle and anywhere in normal space.
Should be the same you'd get anywhere when you park your Ship in normal space, point at an Object (Sun/System/Planet) and wait until the idle SFX sets in.

But for verification, one could always record the idle SFX while landed on the Planet, then a 2nd in normal space just sitting idle while pointed at the Planet.

PS.
I'm done checking POuI - Points of UnInterest.... I can't take them anymore. Seen enough man-made junk.
Kinda typical we're expected to grind the currently absolutely worst RNG game mechanic of the entire Horizons update ;)

Plus, I had a few red warning lights flashing in my mind during my search after letting all the Information wander through my head (deja vu) which eventually made me abort my search attempts for good...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very surprised that no-one has found a Barnacle POI yet.
I don't see why this surprises you. This search is like playing the jackpot lottery but with even worse odds.
Or driving a car with blindfolds, earplugs, no sense of directions and no clear destination.

We don't even know what we're really lookin for I mean :p

Last edited:
So : Here is the video of the weird sounds.

For a quick one start listening at 0:40, (sound around 0:45)

Weird uh ?? But I don't think it's important. Saddly. We need more ingame hints.. !

https://youtu.be/MKK--CgR0t0

To make sure the sound isn't from the ship itself, it would be nice to verify if the sound does happen when in a ship other than a Viper MkIV at this location on that planet. Also, does it happen when you're on another planet (out of Merope preferably)?

Last edited:
This google spreadsheet may help. I'm making a list of all landable bodies inside the nebula. Just noticed the black bits so I have a couple more systems to add

Awesome!

In which case this narrows tonight's search down to;

Titdally locked worlds with vapour geysers;

Maia A 7
Maia B 1 B A
Maia B 2 D
Maia B 3 A

Also the planet that is NOt tidally locked but DOES have Vapour geysers;

Maia B 2 C

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom