UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Here is a recording from inside the SRV at Merope 3C -49.4478 -39.6207. Wave scanner off, game music off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBNX4ZIDZrM

Ambient sound. I can hear it too on every rocky planet/moon.

my game crashed... twice! something is definitely going on.

Yes: game engine not working properly XD
I'm experiencing lot of CTD while on/near planets.

eMaby is irrilevant, but from the picture of the trailer of what we suppose to be the large bernacles we cant see any stars in the sky, is that normal? When i land on dark side of bodies i can always see a lot of stars\bodies at the horizone

I was thinking about this: many theories talk about mist or dense atmosphere obscuring background stars, but what if the alien structures showed in horizons trailer are simply located inside a CRATER or a CANYON?. In that case stars would not be visible from the POV of the trailer's camera.

I'm going to restrict my next journey to canyons and craters on the dark side of planets and moons.

It would be nice if we knew what we were even looking for, other than green lights / barnacles. Will it show as a POI? Will is just be visual? Will show on the SRV scanner? It will show as something new?

/slowly going crazy...

Lurk mode disengaged:

Hi all nice to see things going so fast in here.
Just popped in with a thought, These green patches on wolds look a bit like they are washed out of some where anybody tried to find the source, because they always look like they have come from a particular place - and this we were told interesting/unusual places can be found from orbit, well the only interesting things that stand out are these rivers for lack of a better word.
So any chance somone could try and find the source of the green bits.

Back to lurking it.

Last edited:
After doing some considerable testing with the Unknown Artifact, I don't think there's any sort of significant use of having an Unknown Artifact on the surface of a moon/planet on Merope. From what I've gathered all the Artifact will attempt to do is align itself with the direction of the Prime sun (Merope's main star, the blue one, ya butt).

I will try to provide some clean audio of the UA on the surface, but I highly doubt there is anything significant we'll learn that we haven't already.

If you'd like me to test any more wild theories let me know.

tl;dr : The UA will not try to align itself towards a barnacle, if you try to watch which way it aligns itself on the surface of a moon/planet. (In an attempt to find a barnacle that was purposely placed by Frontier.)

Last edited:
Lurk mode disengaged:

Just popped in with a thought, These green patches on wolds look a bit like they are washed out of some where anybody tried to find the source, because they always look like they have come from a particular place - and this we were told interesting/unusual places can be found from orbit, well the only interesting things that stand out are these rivers for lack of a better word.

Back to lurking it.

That's generally what I've been trying to do. I haven't found anything yet though. I keep going to them thinking they are 'misty' areas but they just aren't. They're just colouration lol

It's the avenue I'm exploring though so I'll report back if I find anything :)

I've been getting close enough to planets to find 'mist'. It generally appears in very low-land areas of planets and moons that have volcanism. These low-land areas are usually in craters and canyons but can cover a large surface area too.

If any CMDRs have time and are able, and want a good example, go and visit 'Ariel', one of Neptune's moons in the Sol system. I suspect it is THAT kind of thing that we are looking for. A planet that is misty enough to obscure the night sky.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

We have literally never found a Meta-Alloy yet. That is part of the current search. Rest assured I will be rubbing UAs over everything new that we find ;)

Alright I just arrived in Ngalia and will try to get MA mission.

Followed the place quoted on https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=217293 to get a location where this mission were obtained before.

Lurk mode disengaged:

Back to lurking it.

You know, that's a good point. I had forgotten all about the "see it from orbit" thing. Faith in the green bits renewed!

Awesome!

In which case this narrows tonight's search down to;

Titdally locked worlds with vapour geysers;

Maia A 7
Maia B 1 B A
Maia B 2 D
Maia B 3 A

Also the planet that is NOt tidally locked but DOES have Vapour geysers;

Maia B 2 C

I should point out that if your looking for a permanently dark planet with the tidally locked column you should also cross reference against its orbit parent type and make sure its a star

Just found a High G misty crater on a high metal content world....

Sys:HIP 17862
Planet : 1

Coords:

GRAVITY 2.19

Crate is hell big , if someone cant assist...

Picture:
(FULL GAMMA!)

wHPaCh6.jpg

mYh5iwG.jpg

I just want to say this whole UA/Barnacles thing is awesome.

I've never seen a game do something like this before, having us translate morse code and everything, it's like we're taking SETI's work into our own hands in the game, it's really exciting! Thanks FD!

I should point out that if your looking for a permanently dark planet with the tidally locked column you should also cross reference against its orbit parent type and make sure its a star

Thanks for the heads up! In which case Maia A 7 is the only body that fits the bill. It is 1.9g and is also a highly metallic world.

It certainly fits the bill in theory. I will focus my search there.

Last edited:
I suggest we focus our efforts on a single planet per day. How would we go about it if we wanted to do something like that? Post it on the OP of this thread as the target of the day?

Speculation alert? :D

OMG it's a wormhole! I just realised. That's why the game points us so close to a BH! I always wondered the UA corrosion was just a coincidence, I mean if we'd give nuclear reactor to an amazonian tribe they would be killed by it as well. They will power it up and the artifact simply points to Merope beacuse it already has the navigation programming in it.
Whoever wants to establish contact want's to ensure their guns won't kill us on the other side so they map our vessels and make an IFF thingy.

Mytery solved. Now we wait.

I'm sure barnacles were meant to simply replace raisin in cookies.

This is actually something I've been noodling around as well. Given that missions around these alloys are not that uncommon relatively speaking, they should have turned up by now given how many eyeballs are looking for them (assuming that the first find isn't some kind of catalyst that starts spawning them all over).

I'm starting to wonder if we should be looking for something that isn't there. Whether it be a wormhole to the other side of the galaxy, dimensional portal, whatever. Crazy thought but conventional searches should have found something by now. Will probably go anomaly hunting around Maia B black hole when I can string together a few consecutive minutes to play. :(

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom