UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Crazy theory time (rummages for tinfoil hat):

What if the UA's aren't transmitting to Merope? What if the reason they're all pointed at Merope is because they're listening instead. Merope may indeed be a relay, but whatever was sending signals to it stopped a long time ago and the UA's are just waiting for someone to start broadcasting again.

So, then the question becomes, how do we use a star as a transmitter? Assuming we could, the other part of the experiment would simply involve someone observing a UA pointed at Merope and see what happens when the transmission hits the star.

Are barnacles growing on the outside of the shutdown stations ( graphically at pic tok sirius inc hasnt seen anything) but in lala lore land, could Fdev check the stations for us and see if barnciles are growing on the outside.

Now as far as the transmitter idea, could it be that our goal of shutting down outer rim stations, might allow the story to move forward, once a certain amount of stations are shutdown due to barnacle overgrowth in space. These might act as a form of meta alloy / hyrbid note stations. So adding maia to the shutdown systems or at least nearby systems. Iapodes and ngalia, 49-64 areitis, pergonia etc.

Then see if both storylines move along once meta alloys are found on the ground

Recently got the Strange Alloys mission, so I've been messing around to see if I can find anything interesting. FWIW, I've decided that the Maia system in the Pleiades Nebula is where I will search, because I don't think that Frontier would make these THAT impossible to find. Their hope is that people will bump into them someday, so rather than place them on one of the millions (billions?) of random little planets, they are likely to place them somewhere that will have traffic. Being outside the bubble, Pleiades could be fairly low in traffic. Therefore, I've decided to search what I think would be the most heavily trafficked systems. Maia has a station, and MANY landable moons (one of which has a settlement) But most of all, it has a black hole. I plan on searching all planets anywhere near the black hole. Oh, and I got this weird map glitch when I entered the system for the first time :) (I know it's not related but I'm viewing it as some sort of sign)

2016-01-10_00003.jpg

When I'm done visiting all these planets I'm going to go see if there are any interesting messages in whatever-Orbital by the primary star.

So wait, what is this blue dot? On the radar or something else?

On the radar when your altitude is between about 2 and 8km.

The best clue we have is from the release notes that links barnacles with fixed poi, which do not appear as blue zones.
Some people seem to be making the leap that because some barnacles are placed randomly, they are also temporary so appear as blue zones. Imho that is an incorrect inference, all barnacles are permanent and therefore have not blue zone, but some have been manually placed while some have been randomly placed.

Hitting up one of the poles on Maia A 2 B before bed here. Seems like more strange behaviour, and dense POI's. Could just be bias on my part though. Would love some independant confirmation or debunking of "poles are weird" if anyone has time. :)

Thought; what if barnacles are nocturnal? Doesn't have to be a "tidal lock" thing, but maybe a day/night?

Or an even simpler explanation: Dark and misty is cooler looking and makes it seem more mysterious. It might be a hint, but I know if I were to have made the video, I would have picked a location that fit what they did even if that's just a night time version of the location. You don't make scary movies sneaking through a forest lit by a nice sun, with blue sky and birds singing. You use the midnight twilight, with fog. :)

Hitting up one of the poles on Maia A 2 B before bed here. Seems like more strange behaviour, and dense POI's. Could just be bias on my part though. Would love some independant confirmation or debunking of "poles are weird" if anyone has time. :)

I saw dense PoIs at the poles on Merope 3C. Best guess is that it's an artefact of the distribution process. If you assume that there is a random chance of a PoI showing up at each (x,y) on the surface then there dense clusters of these at the poles due to the lines of latitude converging, hence more PoIs.

The graphic below might help: if there is a equal chance of a PoI showing up in each divided area then sitting at the pole you have more chance of seeing PoIs around you as there are more areas.

equator-merdian.jpg

I saw dense PoIs at the poles on Merope 3C. Best guess is that it's an artefact of the distribution process. If you assume that there is a random chance of a PoI showing up at each (x,y) on the surface then there dense clusters of these at the poles due to the lines of latitude converging, hence more PoIs.

The graphic below might help: if there is a equal chance of a PoI showing up in each divided area then sitting at the pole you have more chance of seeing PoIs around you as there are more areas.

View attachment 93969
Yep, I've been in the north polar region of Merope 2D and there are a lot more POIs showing up than before.

Recently got the Strange Alloys mission, so I've been messing around to see if I can find anything interesting. FWIW, I've decided that the Maia system in the Pleiades Nebula is where I will search, because I don't think that Frontier would make these THAT impossible to find. Their hope is that people will bump into them someday, so rather than place them on one of the millions (billions?) of random little planets, they are likely to place them somewhere that will have traffic. Being outside the bubble, Pleiades could be fairly low in traffic. Therefore, I've decided to search what I think would be the most heavily trafficked systems. Maia has a station, and MANY landable moons (one of which has a settlement) But most of all, it has a black hole. I plan on searching all planets anywhere near the black hole. Oh, and I got this weird map glitch when I entered the system for the first time :) (I know it's not related but I'm viewing it as some sort of sign)

When I'm done visiting all these planets I'm going to go see if there are any interesting messages in whatever-Orbital by the primary star.

This should be a rendering glitch on system view. Sometimes happens around the main star, and not only on Pleiades nebulae.
Sorry, but.... nothing...

Don't forget people, if you find alien barnacle life forms you should immediately i) shoot them dead, ii) blow up their houses and iii) steal their stuff.

TEACH 'EM WHO'S BOSS.

(This is a joke).

Last edited:
Speculation here, but I think MB got us back on target with the expectation that we'd find one over the weekend.

Emergency Barnacle Committee meeting this morning to figure out how to give us another hint - preferably in-game.

View attachment 93969
Was just writing a post about the same thing, so ninja'd... Your description with the image sure is fitting though...

Speculation here, but I think MB got us back on target with the expectation that we'd find one over the weekend.

Emergency Barnacle Committee meeting this morning to figure out how to give us another hint - preferably in-game.

Oh pants, I got bored and left for Sagittarius A* last night. Typical.

Edit: Where did he say that? I checked his recent posting history and can't see any comment like that.

Last edited:
I'm coming around to the 'carry a UA' thought again - I think I'll pop out and get one later and then cruise another planet.

I'm also curious about the lines around the planets in surface map view - they are clearly meant to be there but just plain odd - maybe they're the next clue.

I suspect though that MB wants us to use our brains to find the target, not use a brute force approach as many of us are doing.

My guess is his hints were not intended to send us all scurrying to the region to start scanning madly, but instead apply those hints to the things like analyzing the videos or in-game info (little that it is) to it.

I could of course be totally off base.

I suspect though that MB wants us to use our brains to find the target, not use a brute force approach as many of us are doing.

My guess is his hints were not intended to send us all scurrying to the region to start scanning madly, but instead apply those hints to the things like analyzing the videos or in-game info (little that it is) to it.

I could of course be totally off base.

Dont forget we've been told once before (on the UA's) not to overthink too much

I'll be heading over soon to have a little search around the nebula.

By the way, if any of you come across the Great White Beluga Liner out there, a location would be appreciated.

Nothing important, just some unfinished business :cool:

Are barnacles growing on the outside of the shutdown stations ( graphically at pic tok sirius inc hasnt seen anything) but in lala lore land, could Fdev check the stations for us and see if barnciles are growing on the outside.

Now as far as the transmitter idea, could it be that our goal of shutting down outer rim stations, might allow the story to move forward, once a certain amount of stations are shutdown due to barnacle overgrowth in space. These might act as a form of meta alloy / hyrbid note stations. So adding maia to the shutdown systems or at least nearby systems. Iapodes and ngalia, 49-64 areitis, pergonia etc.

Then see if both storylines move along once meta alloys are found on the ground

Sirius Inc is more than welcome to continue to do this if you wish. The Canonn will not.

Obsidian is a community built station and any concerted attempt to shut it down will likely be met by serious reprisals from the large number of groups and sole CMDRs who gave their time to build it.

So, to be clear - when you say 'we', you mean Sirius Inc, not the Canonn.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I thought there was a chance we'd find one over the weekend, but certainly didn't expect it.

As agony aunt said - it's possible that the other clues we need are already here in front of us.

Certainly, if we treat the UAs as being related, then they are giving us a big clue in the form of a very large star in a system with lots of planets to land on - and that's where my attention is going now.

Judging by the number of CMDRs here that are also in Merope, I dare say I'll see a bunch of you there later today :D

O7

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom