UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Just curious but has anybody thought to look at the outer shell of malfunctioning stations to see if something is growing on the exterior. Also thought that systems with malfunctioning stations might also be the clue, especially if something very close to that station planetside is causing the interference to the station itself. Like a ship at sea maybe the space stations have been slowly picking up spores that are spreading like earth based Barnacles.

If the barnacles are in some way radiosynthetic (obtaining nourishment from radiation) then residing on atmosphere-less worlds would convey an advantage (more cosmic radiation). But what if they can't tolerate the intense radiation from solar proximity and can only thrive on world's some distance from their host star, in darkness?

In this case the extra background ionizing radiation from Nebulae might provide the Goldilocks zone for this species.

Maybe worlds further out from their host star are good candidates.

I'm no nuclear physicist or space barnie physiologist. Just some creative reflection.

Good luck commanders!

Unless for some reason "they" don't like direct starlight - but do need some form of light.

I was just on Merope 1D - did the flying low thing for a while then started SRVing - there are an awful lot of Metallic Meteorites down there. So, must remember this: Metallic planets aren't really/necessarily the best places to go for a wide range metal.

And again I come to something I've been thinking - if a planet has a Barnacle on it - how did it get there? On a metallic asteroid?
-

Maybe on ships? If the barnicles are techo-organic as they appear (to me). The UA's and disruptor firled/plague might act like some sort of pollination mechanism they utilise as part of their life cycle. They might be attracting us like bees to a flower merely to propigate themselves in some way as yet unknown.

I think you'll notice one if you're nearby.

And to those asking why nebulae - it's quite logical if you think about it :)

Michael

This maybe?

SmdKXEN.png

Taken from the book :"A Dictionary of Some Tuamotuan Dialects of the Polynesian Language"

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zqjqCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA291&lpg=PA291&dq=barnacle+pleiades&source=bl&ots=rrxerkFROd&sig=IyqKbzI72i_R4m5SDx8iuzh8ovI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjX-sCc_qHKAhWG1RQKHRSNCIcQ6AEIfDAS#v=onepage&q=barnacle%20pleiades&f=false

Last edited:
The problem with "quite logical if you think about it" is that I can think of lots of reasons! :)

Nebulae are pretty distinct against a backdrop of stars, so make good navigational points in the galaxy. They're transport hubs?

They catch the eye and so intelligent life forms will explore them? A lot of explorers in ED explored nearby nebulae way before the UA business started.

This kind of nebula produces stars (they don't all do that) and is 'energy rich', the barnacles being a kind of energy harvesting organism that produces/grows 'power-cells' for other Thargoid technology?

Nebulaes could also be used to effectively hide things.... (in plain sight?) so maybe that's why you'd put something there. I think the Merope Nebula has a lot more to do with it because it is a supernova remnant which means that whatever star blew up there (probably in Maia since there is the black hole and it's right in the middle of it) disseminated all sorts of heavier elements through out the area hence the abundance of metals. Why wold barnacles care? while metals themselves may not be the thing other "heavier" elements do include sodium, magnesium, oxygen, carbon, nitrogen... all good things you want to have if you want life. So for me saying nebulaes are quite obvious well yes because you're more than likely going to find life among heavier elements then burnt out systems filled with iceballs.

I did indeed say they are exceedingly rare - much rarer than UAs. ALthough unlike the UAs there are some that have been physically placed by us, although they are generated in certain areas of space.

Michael

"Generated". Does this mean they do (very rarely) appear in blue circles or does that just mean that the procedural generation has just sprinkled a bunch of static ones randomly around planets in certain areas of space?

I did indeed say they are exceedingly rare - much rarer than UAs. ALthough unlike the UAs there are some that have been physically placed by us, although they are generated in certain areas of space.

Michael

Thank you!

One Question...

Can we use the trailer as a clue ?

I mean, is it a good guide for fiding the META?

Michael

Wow, wasn't expecting that :D, backup and information...

Much rarer than UAs are currently, or rarer than when UAs first showed up?

My guess is that there are probably fewer places they can spawn than was originally the case with UAs (obviously have no real info), as they could spawn practically anywhere in a system, yet I'm guessing the right parts of the right planets need to be found this time.

Just curious but has anybody thought to look at the outer shell of malfunctioning stations to see if something is growing on the exterior. Also thought that systems with malfunctioning stations might also be the clue, especially if something very close to that station planetside is causing the interference to the station itself. Like a ship at sea maybe the space stations have been slowly picking up spores that are spreading like earth based Barnacles.

I can't remember the name, but a thread or two ago a CMDR had that idea and said he spent a lot of time inspecting one of the malfunctioning stations. He said he wasn't able to find anything.

Javert

Volunteer Moderator

Michael

When you say "placed", do you mean that if you show up in that particular place you are 100% sure to see one, or is there still a random element to whether it will actually appear or not when you arrive?

I think it was Allant that checked a malfunctioning station to see if it had anything growing on it.. He didnt find anything though

several barnacles/meta alloys in one place, or several places with barnacles/meta alloys?
oh and is the capital L a typo or a drew style hint ;)
"ALthough unlike the UAs there are some that have been physically placed by us"

Last edited:
Well after a hard landing and a breached canopy - greetings from Maia B2D!

21ed2022f9.jpg

Looks like I'm going to be here for a while. In other news, there IS a pretty nice view of Maia B from the crater I'm in :)

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Not sure whether this was mentioned/answered or not, but would a detailed Surface Scanner help?
I know these were initially meant to know the surface composition of a stellar body, but maybe it could trigger the generation of barnacles POI's or have these PPOI's show up on the radar?

Last edited:
When you say "placed", do you mean that if you show up in that particular place you are 100% sure to see one, or is there still a random element to whether it will actually appear or not when you arrive?

(My personal take) those that are manually placed are persistently there. The others are randomly generated based on 'spawn rate' variable, which is extremely low in most locations, but slightly higher in certain locations.

I honestly don't see how it would be possible to find these things without any actual concrete clues. Saying it is in a nebula is about as cryptic as you can get. That is an insane amount of ground/space to cover, and a thousand people couldn't do it in our life time. So many people, myself included, have just been aimlessly scouring millions of kilometers of empty wasteland. How can we possibly be expected to just randomly stumble across these sites? The chances are astronomically huge. Literally.

There needs to be some sort of in-game clue that doesn't take a genius to figure out. This is much less gameplay, as it is an unnecessarily cryptic mind game. If this whole season is focused on the UA then the 'mystery" needs to be accessible. I don't want it spelled out, but all i'm saying is that we need something to actually go by. We need to know (or be lead to)what type of planets these things like. An actual breadcrumb trail to follow and investigate. The UA orients to Merope's star, but that tells us nothing, and Palin wants a research station in Maia on B1 BA, but why is it that planet? Is it the proximity to the black hole? I am starting to think that we won't be able to find any barnacle structures until the official story actually progresses. The same way that we weren't lead to Merope until 1.4 added the ability for the UA to orient that way.

With the way that events like the Treasure Hunt was handled, I don't have much faith in the "mysteries" of this game.

Last edited:
Well after a hard landing and a breached canopy - greetings from Maia B2D!
Looks like I'm going to be here for a while. In other news, there IS a pretty nice view of Maia B from the crater I'm in :)

Not unless you turn your shields off you wont, they burn through your fuel

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom