UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I feel there's a bit much emphasis on tidally locked planets in this discussion. Therefore I would like to comment on 2 points which I think are the most "harmful" to our search.

- The trailer scene which we assume shows Barnacles is in the dark, therefore Large Barnacles are only found in the dark.
- The trailer scene which we assume shows Barnacles is in the dark, therefore it must be a tidally locked planet.
Those two points are completely baseless. The trailer could be shot at night, the trailer could be shot on a planet far away from a star or it could indeed be on a tidally locked planet. But we have absolutely no indicator which it could be. And the darkness could very well serve an exclusively dramatic purpose.

In my opinion it would be much more useful to try to understand what the Barnacles "want", what a suitable environment might be for Large Barnacles. I think it's safe to assume that the Large Barnacles have been dubbed that way because they look similar to the barnacles we all know and love, and not because those "interstellar explorers" have run a lengthy analysis to figure out that they actually are similar.
If we assume those things in the trailer are indeed Large Barnacles then I would tend to exclude planets with a really low gravity. Why? Because I think the gravity of that world would favor tall and slender entities over those with a broad base as was shown in the trailer. This kind of structure to me looks like it would be a much better fit on a world with gravity equal to or greater than Earth's.

Agreed, especially when you need to take into account what things are tidally locked to.
If it's permanent darkness people are looking for, only objects that are tidally locked to a star count - these are likely to be hot - maybe too hot for meta-alloys.

Given the way ED does light sources, maybe even only the primary star.

Moons can be tidally locked to their planet, binary pairs may be tidally locked to each other - neither of these results in areas of permanent darkness.

Interesting!

Did you see the price that the Cmdr who figured out that the UA scans ships got?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/3t1iej/oh_crap_ua_prize_thanks_mb/

And the Great Old One Gtuhanai is to be found in the Pleiades cluster (Cthulhu Mythos)

Maybe someone with greater knowledge about Cthulhu could come up with further clues...

Maybe someone can find it, but I'm pretty sure when the Cthulhu angle was brought up MB demurred and said that he was not in charge of picking the locations of the barnacles.

Meta-Alloys. A kind of metal.

Ship graveyards are known to exist as hand placed, "special," POI's on planets.

UA's degrade our ship components. They degrade the "metal."

Proposal: Ship graveyards, if found in Merope, are the result of downed UA convoys. The UA's are not actually destroying the "metal" in our ships, but rather converting it - to meta-alloys?

Crashed ships are substrate/food. UA's are barnacle seeds.

Find a ship graveyard in Merope, find a barnacle, find meta-alloy.

Assuming they're all related.

/tinfoil.

Last edited:

Proposal: Ship graveyards, if found in Merope, are the result of downed UA convoys. The UA's are not actually destroying the "metal" in our ships, but rather converting it - to meta-alloys?

/tinfoil.

I believe I may have stated similar on pages 5 and 119 of this very thread ;)

/tinfoil.

Find the Antares, find the truth.

Fun fact : Sojourner found a Barnacle ... on Mars ... in 1997 : http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap970708.html :eek:

Regarding the Log Entry. Thursday could mean the 4th out of 7 sisters (or 5th out of 7 if the week starts on Sunday). Sorry if this has already been said, I've tried to keep up with the thread but I just can't handle it :D

Great observation!

Maybe totally unrelated but I started looking around at a few nebulaes (in the map only) and I looked at the whole horsehead, barnard's loop complex. I saw a star there very bright, may be the brightest that I didn't recall seeing the last time I looked at tha area. the name had something to do with Orionis but the interesting bit is that it started with an asterisk *. to the best of my knowlege I thought only SGR A* had the asterisk... is this new?

For your collective info, these are the systems in the Crescent Nebula that were permit locked in January 3301 (a year ago).

Crescent Sector BQ-Y d24
Crescent Sector BQ-Y d25
Crescent Sector BQ-Y d26
Crescent Sector DL-Y d26
Crescent Sector DL-Y d27
Crescent Sector DL-Y d29
Crescent Sector DL-Y d30
Crescent Sector DL-Y d32
Crescent Sector FW-W d1-24
Crescent Sector FW-W d1-25
Crescent Sector FW-W d1-26
Crescent Sector HR-W d1-28
Crescent Sector HR-W d1-29
Crescent Sector IH-V c2-10
Crescent Sector IH-V c2-11
Crescent Sector KC-V c2-10
Crescent Sector KC-V c2-11
Crescent Sector MI-S b4-0

They weren't limited to being strictly within the nebulosity, some of them were on the outside edges as well.

SO, has anyone with more money than they can spend tried to fly into the Merope star while carrying a UA yet?
(possibly with heat sinks, to try and get as close as possible)

I mean, they're pointing straight to it for a reason, right? lol

Agreed, especially when you need to take into account what things are tidally locked to.
If it's permanent darkness people are looking for, only objects that are tidally locked to a star count - these are likely to be hot - maybe too hot for meta-alloys.

Maia A 7 is not that hot, but due to other light sources in system, the Dark Side is merely a kind of Dawn Side...still...landing there is no picnic due to gravity. If I wanted to make the salvage/mining of meta-alloys challenging for players, this is kind of the place to go.

Some news on the spreadsheet I've been doing.
It will lead to a systematic search.

It's been modified to a 'night time mode' as some people had eyestrain from late night exploration.

Specific Data on Merope has been added. Use the linked cells with the word "System data" to link to the data of that system.
It's the equivalent of a system view.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bichQJBbL9ygW1xXc3GQhC5KT-o9u05ihWKXebt4BcM/edit#gid=0

Any suggestions, general feedback or data is most appreciated xD

/tinfoil.

thinking about ship graveyards, has anyone tried to let an UA destroy your ship while landed on planet in the srv?

Great observation!

Maybe totally unrelated but I started looking around at a few nebulaes (in the map only) and I looked at the whole horsehead, barnard's loop complex. I saw a star there very bright, may be the brightest that I didn't recall seeing the last time I looked at tha area. the name had something to do with Orionis but the interesting bit is that it started with an asterisk *. to the best of my knowlege I thought only SGR A* had the asterisk... is this new?
I just left the North America Nebula and Pelican Nebula Friday, and spent Saturday/Sunday going through Horse Head. I can't do comprehensive planetary searches, but nothing in the space regions has really surprised me.

If you find the system name, I can do a pop-over to check it out since Im already in the region (trying to prove/disprove other 'nebulae' being a spawn location)

My partner loves HP Lovecraft and said the cylinders (UAs) remind her of the story "The Whisperer in Darkness" - Here is a section from wiki about the story - "Akeley tells Wilmarth about the extraterrestrial race and the wonders they have revealed to him. He also says that the beings can surgically extract a human brain and place it into a canister wherein it can live indefinitely and withstand the rigors of outer space travel and shows proof to Wilmarth. Akeley says he has agreed to undertake such a journey and points to a cylinder bearing his name. Wilmarth also listens to a brain in a cylinder as it speaks of the positive aspects of the journey and why Wilmarth should join it in the trip to Yuggoth. During these conversations, Wilmarth feels a vague sense of unease, especially from Akeley's odd manner of buzzing whispering."

Spooky! :D

Last edited:
Assuming this thread is still here and not in the horizons-subforum - we are still sure we have to look after stuff ON a planet/moon, right?

Given that we're told that it makes good logical sense why barnacles are found in nebulae, I think it's time I refresh myself on the properties of nebulae. Initial hypothesis; barnacles like the higher than average amount of heavier elements, and so on the surface are more likely to be found either in high metal content worlds, or worlds with active volcanoes or geysers.

Edited to add:

I know I've landed on plenty of worlds listed as having either active iron magma volcanism or silicate (I think silicate) geysers, but I've never actually SEEN any of these that I am aware of. Anyone ever seen either of these features? That seems like an ideal place to look.

If not, does anyone have enough knowledge of geology to know where we should be looking, or do we have enough to data to determine this? My layman's understanding is that we should look where planetary plates meet or where the crust is weakest, but I don't think we can determine this given our current data, can we?

Last edited:
Another point. The Pleiades stars were not created from the nebula. Theopen cluster and the nebula met in spcace at a later point.

Might be space dementia, but this sounds funny to me. As if their (anthropomorphised) eyes met across a crowded Galaxy... and in that moment, the nebula knew those seven sisters were the only seven he'd ever need.....

When in truth, it might possibly be more like this meeting.

The comet galaxy is currently being ripped to pieces. Moving through a cluster at speeds of greater than 2 million mph, is one of the main reasons the gas and stars of the galaxy are being stripped away by the tidal forces of the cluster. Other factors adding to the damage of the galaxy are the cluster's scorching gas plasma. As the galaxy speeds through, its gas and stars are still being stripped away by the tidal forces exerted by the cluster - just as the tidal forces exerted by the moon and Sun push and pull the Earth's oceans. Also contributing to this destructive process is the pressure of the cluster's hot gas plasma reaching temperatures as high as 10-100 million degrees

You are guaranteed to find them if you are in the right location.

Michael

I'm going to have to go with duh on this one. :)

I just left the North America Nebula and Pelican Nebula Friday, and spent Saturday/Sunday going through Horse Head. I can't do comprehensive planetary searches, but nothing in the space regions has really surprised me.

If you find the system name, I can do a pop-over to check it out since Im already in the region (trying to prove/disprove other 'nebulae' being a spawn location)

Can't recall and I'm stuck at work for hours BUT as I mentioned earlier the system was right there in the Barnard's Loop Horsehead Nebula by a slew of stars clustered together it was central but up from them bright and the most important thing about it that hit me was the astersisk (*) in the name.. I think it was the very first character of the name something like * 51 Orionis (that's not it though).

Given the way ED does light sources, maybe even only the primary star.

Moons can be tidally locked to their planet, binary pairs may be tidally locked to each other - neither of these results in areas of permanent darkness.

"If it's permanent darkness people are looking for, only objects that are tidally locked to a star count - these are likely to be hot - maybe too hot for meta-alloys."
Surely the dark side of such a planet without atmosphere is going to be incredibly cold. The dark side of Mercury is -173C and it's not tidally locked.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom