UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles barnicles....

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Ok so time for a bit of out of the box thinking. The great MB has said that you are guaranteed to find them if you are in the right location. FD are presumably pretty good at Maths so they will know that even with 1000 CMDRs scouring every landable moon at POI height would take essentially forever. Secondly Kerrash mentioned that he thought that it would be visible from orbitalish height - although he may have no expert knowledge so a caveat there.

However if both these possibilities are correct then we have not been to the location yet even in orbital cruise. Given the number of people involved this seems unlikely.

theory: the dashed things are on a planet immune to the powers of the advanced discovery scanner. Trying a bit of old school parralax stuff in (most obviously) Merope might be worth a shot?

The barnacles are too small to be noticeable at orbital height.

Michael

I found one Barnicle.
It is inside the black hole in Maia, but due to the gravity force, it can't be seen from outside the event Horizon (hence the name ED Horizons)
The only way is to change the dimension, so, going from simulation dimension to software dimension you will be able to break the Horizon and find the Barnicle under the form of a file namend unk_barnicle.ovl
This is the right pattern to follow to solve the mistery.

Damn... now I will be found... escape!

Last edited:
Where did this 'log entry' come from?

(I'm wondering if it was the correct number of ly from Earth to be a transmission from the present day that just arrived at the finder's location)

That is really weird ^^ is the AI in ED taking over the World and already got the FD Guys =]

Game crashed again, submitted a ticket to support. (which is in the spoiler)

Looking for Barnacles in my ImperialCourier in Open on Pleione 6 at the pole, sound cut out for 0.3 seconds, frame rate froze, sound resumed for 1.0 seconds then froze for 0.3 seconds again, then game crashed.

These files were being used at the time:

~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\Audio\audiomusic_music_supercruise_bnk_s.aux
~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\Stations\Shared\LandingPadsStandard\LandingAreaLarge\Data.ovl
~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\UIStreamsOutfittingIcons\PaintJob_DiamondBackXL_Militaire_Sand_icon\Data.ovl
~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\UIStreams\OutfittingIcons\Paintjob_Viper+Militaire_Sand_icon\Data.ovl

Had ResourceMonitor.exe open to see where or when the below would appear (they never did, so I've given up on the search)
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_uknBarnicle
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_Unknown_01
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_Unknown_02
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_Unknown_03

I officially give up looking, it's not worth my time.

I have crashed once or twice when approaching a POI, makes me wonder now...

I am sure that this must have been occurred to someone already, but I don't feel like browsing 160+ pages of discussion to dug it up.

Basically I thought that what if UA's (as well as barnacles) are weapons of sort? Why they are pointing at Merope although there seems to be nothing that could explain this fact? No one knows whether they of Thargoid origin, but if they are, it is good to keep in mind the hostile nature of Thargoids.

And now the Thargoids laugh somewhere "the stupid people are falling to our trap" and boom, 1000s of commanders in one system could be wiped overnight by triggering a WMD of unknown type. Thinking in these lines made me careful about not to park my ship in Merope while taking a rest; I want to be able to react if something happens in Merope. I really hope that this is merely a paranoid though but you never can be too careful with unknown, can you?

-v

Maybe could this mean that they only spawn when you're in a SRV? If that person who said they found one and died on Pleione 6 is telling the trust.

No picture, no video, very poor description... I doubt he found anything other than the incredible exploding SRV bug.

As far as Staple goes can Atlas B3 be ruled out, sitting at N34 W118 right now and there's nothing except a nice view with a moutain in the south.

Gonna check the other 3 landables here for that and then go to Electra because one planet there matches my gravity estimation and I wanna check that.

Last edited:
If I were a game designer and I would place something on a planet surface to help someone else to find it, I would choose one of the following four options:
- North pole
- South pole
- Equatorial plane
- Ecliptic plane

and I think the first two are the most probable; the last is the most realistic if crash site hypotesis.
For the planet, I still thinking about the one with a manually placed outpost: Maia B1D

found only some cargo here but there are other signals i have to check out here.
Screenshot_0162.jpg

Game crashed again, submitted a ticket to support. (which is in the spoiler)

Looking for Barnacles in my ImperialCourier in Open on Pleione 6 at the pole, sound cut out for 0.3 seconds, frame rate froze, sound resumed for 1.0 seconds then froze for 0.3 seconds again, then game crashed.

These files were being used at the time:

~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\Audio\audiomusic_music_supercruise_bnk_s.aux
~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\Stations\Shared\LandingPadsStandard\LandingAreaLarge\Data.ovl
~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\UIStreamsOutfittingIcons\PaintJob_DiamondBackXL_Militaire_Sand_icon\Data.ovl
~\Prodcuts\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\UIStreams\OutfittingIcons\Paintjob_Viper+Militaire_Sand_icon\Data.ovl

Had ResourceMonitor.exe open to see where or when the below would appear (they never did, so I've given up on the search)
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_uknBarnicle
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_Unknown_01
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_Unknown_02
~\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Win64\Items\PlanetPOI\POI_Scenes\POIScene_Unknown_03

I officially give up looking, it's not worth my time.

Oh snap. Could it be that the desired poi is indeed buggy at the moment? Some other people have reported that they crashed when approaching certain pois...

I did 4 hours last night; went to two of the moons of Merope trying to find interesting land formations from OC as an initial search point, and then dipping down to normal flight to investigate POIs and anything else I could see (=nothing) almost solely from the air.

Landed in the SRV only to do a silly canyon run on Merope 5A (120M up in the air, slammed into the canyon wall!).

I also jumped up to one of the other systems actually in the Pleiades that has two airless moon, doing the same.

Needless to say I found nought - but I did enjoy it!

I'll be going back in this lunchtime. My heart's still in Merope, but Maia also calls - but I shall stick with Merope because, well pointing and all that ;)

The logic of looking for interesting formations might be flawed - if the Barnacles arrived on asteroids, then the most likely place to find them might be at the bottom of craters (as has been said before). But at the same time, there's no guarantee that any manually chosen locations were chosen based on that logic, if the hypothesis is even right in the first place!

But, at least big craters are easy to find - so provide a perfect target for mindless flying and scouting :)

Good luck CMDRs - remember to take a break from this if you feel the rage growing, you're not that far from the bubble and there are plenty of other things to be doing; not least looking for coreward Earthlikes for the Pioneers' Cooperative (think Obsidian Orbital CG) :)

O7

Some other people have reported that they crashed when approaching certain pois...
I'd assume not, seeing how MB has confirmed that they can be found in-game. With the delay between announcing that check and its result I'd say that he had somebody go find one.

Michael, did your "underling" go check out one of those hand-picked places or a random spawn?

Interesting surface feature on Pleiades Sector GW-W C1-15 1 (0.09g Metal-rich world). A smallish crater, about 10km deep, with "teeth".

I've not found anything interesting at the bottom (one satellite and some minerals so far) but I'll keep looking for a while.

http://imgur.com/a/E5m4q

(first time I've attempted to post screenshots, so fingers crossed)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom