UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
And to those asking why nebulae - it's quite logical if you think about it :)

Thinking mode engaged - Random ideas time.

IDEA 1:
Barnacles are "eggs" of aliens (kind of makes sense since they are strong etc). For some reason the aliens lay their eggs in nebulae, maybe to be warmed by the hot blue stars, maybe because there are "nutrients" around (perhaps the aliens are organic ships). UAs might be some kind of perimeter detection system.
Look for a nest site. Would make for a very interesting time when the aliens find us collecting the eggs.

IDEA 2 (even more wacky):
Aliens live in stars. Stars explode, cause nebulae, also spew alien skelingtons onto nearby planets. UAs are some kind of beacon from the aliens - knows morse code because we keep putting nav beacons around stars.

Ok either space madness has caught up with me or there I something to the sounds I'm hearing.

I was chatting briefly with Allant Doran and right after he left I noticed a very faint clicking... I'm on Maia B 1 B at this point looking at all the weird canyons and different colored areas. I followed this canyon and the sound seemed to get more distinct and faster.. After a while the sound got less loud but faster still then I took a turn and it disappeared completely. I'm beginning to think that we may need to be on the lookout for stuff like that and use our ears more.

I'll attempt to replicate.

Ok either space madness has caught up with me or there I something to the sounds I'm hearing.

I was chatting briefly with Allant Doran and right after he left I noticed a very faint clicking... I'm on Maia B 1 B at this point looking at all the weird canyons and different colored areas. I followed this canyon and the sound seemed to get more distinct and faster.. After a while the sound got less loud but faster still then I took a turn and it disappeared completely. I'm beginning to think that we may need to be on the lookout for stuff like that and use our ears more.

I'll attempt to replicate.

Problem is that there are so many creepy sounds etc that it's hard to imagine that they are all related. I think that the sound engineers just put in a LOT of creepy sounds to add "atmosphere" to airless planets.

No barnacles, but I did find a tiny blue POI, never seen that before.

It was just a mining outpost, but I did not know they made 'em that small. That part of the moon was very cool. Lots of almost perfectly round holes in the craggy rock. If it was under sea, I would expect eels to live there. I would want to go back there at night and look for barnacles, except technically, it already was night. :(

Been able to produce this a couple of times, those two events was a mining outpost. I've seen it before as well, but never investigated those.

So, I was thinking about the whole "thursday nights' game" thing.

Here are my conclusions and possibilities:

PR5 = Planet Rock 5
Row 2 = Moon 2
Seats 5 e 6 = coords in radians, converting to degrees:
5 rads = 286.479 degrees
6 rads = 343.775 degrees

Check these coords in every planet/moon.

Update:
Also, thursday night could be some kind of tide, an ideal time to spot then... at night, which doesn't mean the planet/moon is tidally locked.

Last edited:
Food for thought - an alternative interpretation of the barnacle screenshot from the trailer:

1. The jagged towering structures are meta-alloys.
2. The buds attached the to sides of the meta-alloys are "associated" barnacles.
3. The large structure to the right might be a particularly large barnacle - or maybe its a refinery or building erected by someone "farming" the barnacle resource. Obvious candidates, the thargoids.

Probably rubbish, but the bud-like structures sticking to the jagged things are roughly barnacle shaped, and sticking to things would also help explain the name.

ydZDvN4.jpg

The large thing looks like a Ziggaraut from WoW.

I looked at game files, and can confirm that what you've highlighted in the picture is not correct, but not releasing any details until one is found 'in the wild'

Last edited:
I was thinking a little different to that. I think the big structure IS the barnacle, the glow bits are the meta-alloy and the spikes are just what the alloy grows on.

On another note. That structure looks damn huge.

Took many long drives since Saturday, along ravines and in craters, checked the poles and the largest craters of every planet in the Merope system, so this is likely not as obvious as the developers expect it to be...

Panpipers End.jpg
Alas , much cartographic data was lost from scanning volcanism on the planets around the Pleiades. Days of work wiped out along with all those data points collected from many planets. It happens ;)
Last thing i saw, rather unusual but not that remarkable crater. wasnt the misty one i was looking for , but investigating the coloured riverways or canyons in this very eroded crater with an unusual centre mound, very spikey and pitted crevices around the lump but never returned from that quick peek into the crevice, was quite deep then slam splat very spikey death.

General roundup of data that survived with me in the escape pod after being rescued by the insurance company.
Magma - Iron and silicate , not that rare or uncommon, can create nice geological land features.
Screenshot_0060.jpg

Geysers - Silicate mostly although not found anything too varied on these worlds, maybe a few more canyons.
- 1 quite different place with Carbon dioxide Geysers, only one i found in the Pleiades. Very few craters due to reforming of the surface. Vast canyons and valleys all over the planet.
Made a nice change from metal planets with just craters
Screenshot_0088.jpgScreenshot_0091.jpgScreenshot_0100.jpg

We're using inductive reasoning and coming to different conclusions and that's okay, but none of the things you're pointing out preclude my hypothesis that UAs point at Merope because there is a barnacle somewhere in Merope. So, for instance, you could be right about UAs pointing to barnacle systems based on proximity OR it could be that UAs point to their "home" barnacle. That is, the UAs are barnacle sperm and always point to the system of the large barnacle that spawned them. So, a UA found in the Thor's Helmet Shell (which is a thing I have just made up for those not following closely) will always point to a star in Thor's Helmet. Same facts, different conclusion. I hope one of us will be proved right (or proved anything) sometime soon.
The UA used to figure out that they were pointing at Merope did not come from the shell around Merope. The shell was found later. Ask Ratking.

I'll be happy to entertain theories about shells around other nebulae as soon as someone finds a UA around another nebulae, or one that points somewhere other than Merope consistently. Until then, all logic and evidence says that they point to one system. Michael has said barnacles can be found in other places than this system. Thus, it is not logical to conclude that UAs are exhibiting barnacle pointing behavior. There is nothing yet that says UAs have anything to do with barnacles (but I hope they do).

In light of that, Merope should not be given any heavier weighting in the search over any other system in the Pleiades. Guiding more than a proportional amount of commanders there to search in an unorganized fashion is a waste of resources. I am simply encouraging people not to waste their most precious resource (time) when we have no logic or evidence that Merope has any higher likelihood to contain barnacles. I can see that you aren't to be convinced, and that's fine with me. ;) But I will continue to disagree with people that say "Everyone go look in Merope because the UAs are pointing there." I would rather people said "Everyone go look in the Pleiades nebula, because Michael said we can find barnacles there."

The theory is that orbital cruise is the only way to cover enough ground and still have a chance. Maybe the persistant ones give some kind of indication - without that I don't think they'll be found unless you know where to go.

I have tested with the pavlou keep i supercruised pass it about to 6 km of distance , and i COULDN'T see the outpost, but you can see it from higher then 9 km...

the test has been done in supercruise on a height of 4/5 km high , on a almost 0 degree inclination. and the minimal distance to the outpost was 5.8 km.

I'm gonna go check out some rocky ice worlds. Don't recall any reports from any of those yet.

Edited: From the description of rocky ice worlds: "Geologic activity is common in these worlds because of the large quantities of volatiles in the crust, often creating a thin, sometimes seasonal atmosphere."

Didn't that video mention that volatiles create the mists?

Last edited:
I'm gonna go check out some rocky ice worlds. Don't recall any reports from any of those yet.

Edited: From the description of rocky ice worlds: "Geologic activity is common in these worlds because of the large quantities of volatiles in the crust, often creating a thin, sometimes seasonal atmosphere."

Didn't that video mention that volatiles create the mists?

Yes it did, in the video description,they were proud of it but wouldnt mension what else they were working on there.. very suspect!. Hence i seek the misty one.
Could even be volatiles are emitted by the Barnacle? Methane erruptions on moons in our solar system has led to suspected life on moons in our solar system, but could also be geological in nature also.

Will renew my search tomorrow chasing the misty craters. After my death i'm retreating to trivialize death by a few rounds of CQC.
Tomorrow a new expedition.

Last edited:
Maybe moons that orbit planets with ammonia based life (or something like that) in the nebula? Are there some of those in this nebula? Thargoids lived on "ammonia" planets, I think.

Agreed. I brought this point of anthropomorphic caution up before - thinking in terms of carbon life science would be blinding you to other possibilities. We've already been surprised here on Earth relatively recently with the discovery of sulphur-based and arsenic-based life.

[/science]

Not a thing. There is life that lives in places that have high arsenic and sulphur content, but they're still carbon based life.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I imagine it'll turn out to be the same situation as the original UAs. Exceedingly rare to find until we hit this breakthrough. Then all of a sudden it becomes really easy to grab.

For all we know a single Barnacle could supply enough for a thousand commanders to complete the mission. Maybe the static placements, as we find them, will create a sight-seeing map for Explorers to go visit each one.

Even after the UA convoys were discovered they were still a huge pain in the tuchus to find. I gave up on the original UA hunt after a few days.

So my first trip was to Maia B 3 A, a distant rocky body some 300,000ls away. And I found.... pesticide. Cans of it.

Sigh.

Gonna be a long night!

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom