UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Special requirements...

One of the questions that MB responded to was asking if you needed the mission or any other special requirement to find them, like a UA in the cargo hold.

His response was "no mission required"

So, I'm taking that there may be some other requirement to locating a barnacle, it may be like the drones and only pop up when you get close, but may also only pop if you have some other condition met. Any ideas on what that might be? Anyone driving around with a UA in their SRV?

The fact is that looking through the folders is so immersion breaking and a lot of people here don't want to see it. I personally think you have every right to be looking through the folders and checking the names, they are folders on your computer, but some other people don't want that information shared with them is all :)
And lastly yes other types of POI are rare but if you look at one of Obsidian Ants videos about the crashed anaconda site you will see an example of a fixed POI. There is also a definition of each type of POI on one of the OP's :)

I got it. But let me say that I find a bit funny that people may be bothered by such a thing when we were literally told by a trailer of the presence of such structures...
Thanks anyway for the tips ;)

Others have found 'POI sites' outside the blue zones.
Earlier in the thread.

Let me thank you since I didn't figure out that the first post by Rizal shows basically everything.

I think it is on merope 2d on the dark side of the moon. It looks from above like barnacles so you have to look out for somthing that looks like the following from above.

barnacle4.jpg

Craters can look a bit barnacle-y...

tycho_cr.jpg

Last edited:
I got it. But let me say that I find a bit funny that people may be bothered by such a thing when we were literally told by a trailer of the presence of such structures...

We don't mind knowing they exist. We need to know there definitely is something to find.

What we don't want to know is HOW or WHERE to find them. THAT is the joy of the hunt for us :)

We need Agent Scully and Mulder. This is so X-Files.

Or even better,

"There's a Starman Waiting in the skies, He'd really like to meet us but he thinks he'd blow our minds"

To all the British CMNDR's out there. You lost a legend this week. Can we call the first persistant Barnacle we find "Bowie"?

Last edited:
I'm not sure that extrapolating earth barnacle biology to alien "barnacles" is very useful.

Agreed. I brought this point of anthropomorphic caution up before - thinking in terms of carbon life science would be blinding you to other possibilities. We've already been surprised here on Earth relatively recently with the discovery of sulphur-based and arsenic-based life.

[/science]

Another fruitless night chasing shadows - literally.

I've been pursuing the 'right location' theme.
There is actually only one real landmark on any planet in the whole Pleiades - Pavlou's Keep on Maia B 1 D.
Flew around there, a bit of canyon running in the dark.
Noticed 1C on the horizon.

Ahah, both of these are tidally locked - probably to each other as they're so close - the points that are facing each other are very specific locations. Flew there and what did I find - darkness! The appearance of a large round shadow on the surface. The shadow of 1C or a crater - hard to tell.

What I do notice is that Maia B is lurking on the arc of 1C - ooh an eclipse of a black hole. Go there and of course there's nothing because these moons are rotating around each other and also going around B1 so the eclipse is temporary.

Still, I now have a hold full of salvage to flog at Obsidian - if there are some decent long range haulage missions there I might take a break.

I got nothing to point the way to anywhere more specific.

Last edited:
Alright I'm going to sleep but before I do I want to make an ultimatum:

If no one has found a Barnacle by the time I wake up tomorrow, I'm becoming a pirate... Who only steals peoples biscuits.

I hope that leaves you suitably motivated Commanders. o7

Alright I'm going to sleep but before I do I want to make an ultimatum:

If no one has found a Barnacle by the time I wake up tomorrow, I'm becoming a pirate... Who only steals peoples biscuits.

I hope that leaves you suitably motivated Commanders. o7

I'll be sure to scoff them and get Type-09 Heavy Diabetes before then.

Woke up this morning, turned on the Galnet news,
No one's found a barnacle, and everyone is blue.
And I'm deep down in a canyon in the inter-stellar night
My ship won't come and rescue me - it says I'm outa sight.

Got those old Arcannon blues, babe, got them way down in my heart
'Cos I need to find a barnacle, but I don't know where to start.

I've flown through all the nebula,
Seen all there is to see.
And all I've got is a broken ship
And a hundred tons of tea.

Got those old Arcannon blues, babe. Got them way down in my heart
'Cos I need to find a barnacle, but I don't know where to start.

Last edited:
Agreed. I brought this point of anthropomorphic caution up before - thinking in terms of carbon life science would be blinding you to other possibilities. We've already been surprised here on Earth relatively recently with the discovery of sulphur-based and arsenic-based life.

[/science]

Agreed, but I would still strongly consider that they had a good reason to nickname them Barnacles rather than Clams, Shells, Oysters, or SeaBiscuits.

Last edited:
Guys, you're posting so quick... I don't dare to go to sleep, knowing that when i'll connect tomorrow there will be dozens of new pages x)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom