UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Thinking mode engaged - Random ideas time.

IDEA 1:
Barnacles are "eggs" of aliens (kind of makes sense since they are strong etc). For some reason the aliens lay their eggs in nebulae, maybe to be warmed by the hot blue stars, maybe because there are "nutrients" around (perhaps the aliens are organic ships). UAs might be some kind of perimeter detection system.
Look for a nest site. Would make for a very interesting time when the aliens find us collecting the eggs.

IDEA 2 (even more wacky):
Aliens live in stars. Stars explode, cause nebulae, also spew alien skelingtons onto nearby planets. UAs are some kind of beacon from the aliens - knows morse code because we keep putting nav beacons around stars.

Well if it isn't the winner of the Gemini Croquette contest himself...

Holey moley!!! has anyone checked out Obsidian Orbital's traffic report lately?

You thought you were in a starter system if you did!!!

:) This is awesome

Speaking of traffic at Obsidian Orbital, some Asp smacked me on the way out of there. Please remember people, green means go, red means go to the other side of the tunnel.

Anyway, had a thought: Has anyone actually tried raiding Pavlou Keep? See what's in there? It looks like its controlled by the local mob. Maybe we'll find our old buddy Prof. Palin tied up in the basement?

Last edited:
Speaking of traffic at Obsidian Orbital, some Asp smacked me on the way out of there. Please remember people, green means go, red means go to the other side of the tunnel.

Anyway, had a thought: Has anyone actually tried raiding Pavlou Keep? See what's in there? It looks like its controlled by the local mob. Maybe we'll find our old buddy Prof. Palin tied up in the basement?

Isn't Palin in Nganji?

ya stole their data the other day - always get a kick out of squashing the ant mob

Well honestly nobody cares about the lights in the mailbox, and they shouldn't because it's a waste of time to actually follow them. Funny story, yesterday I was boosting out of Obsidian and a DBE decided to boost out at the same time as me, and I ended up scratching on the side of the mailbox dodging him :p

As for Pavlou Keep, I was there yesterday and its just a normal outpost like you'd see in a POI just with extra defense. I didn't try raiding it though, plus I have no weapons on my ASP right now.

Ok there is something strange going on with the background noise on planets.
Get out of the ship disable wave scanner stop the SRV. Disable music and listen there is faint chipping noise that looks like morce.
Maybe barnacles are broadcasting location.
I was on merope 1 b.
Ive managed to get two numbers 44 and 45 but im bad at morse so it might be nothing.

Food for thought - an alternative interpretation of the barnacle screenshot from the trailer:

1. The jagged towering structures are meta-alloys.
2. The buds attached the to sides of the meta-alloys are "associated" barnacles.
3. The large structure to the right might be a particularly large barnacle - or maybe its a refinery or building erected by someone "farming" the barnacle resource. Obvious candidates, the thargoids.

Probably rubbish, but the bud-like structures sticking to the jagged things are roughly barnacle shaped, and sticking to things would also help explain the name.

View attachment 94236

ya im betting the meta-alloys are right, the something else is the barnacle, and the things u are calling barnacles are just part of the meta alloys ... but who knows really

Agreed, but I would still strongly consider that they had a good reason to nickname them Barnacles rather than Clams, Shells, Oysters, or SeaBiscuits.

"Clamosaurs and oysterettes appeared as appetizers. Then came the sponges, which sucked up about 10%… of all life. [more rustling] [clears throat] Hundreds of years later, in the Late Devouring Period, fish became obnoxious. [clears throat] Trailerbikes, chiggerbites, and miskweetoes collided aimlessly in the dense gas."

"Clamosaurs and oysterettes appeared as appetizers. Then came the sponges, which sucked up about 10%… of all life. [more rustling] [clears throat] Hundreds of years later, in the Late Devouring Period, fish became obnoxious. [clears throat] Trailerbikes, chiggerbites, and miskweetoes collided aimlessly in the dense gas."

Ahh the late devouring .. that was followed by the early digesting epoch ? ... known for its intense gaseous environment i think

Just tried to drop an UA in orbital flight around a planet in Merope and see if it might change behaviour, sadly didn't, and during diving after it to catch it I bumped it hard :x so much for also trying dropping it on the surface...

Could there be a reason we're finding so much Tea (and Animal Meat - as opposed to what kind?!?) Are we assuming that the barnacles are going to be inert? Perhaps they are/were active and had a fondness for tea. Or animal meat. And attacked anything carrying them - hence the surfeit of wrecks containing these. (Maybe that's what MB's comments meant about the barnacles when he said you'll know when you see them..) Maybe we follow the wrecks to find the barnacles. Maybe we just carry lots of tea and animal meat and they'll find us?

It's been a while since I posted a wacky theory.. there was a grave danger of people starting to take me seriously.

The UA used to figure out that they were pointing at Merope did not come from the shell around Merope. The shell was found later. Ask Ratking.

I'll be happy to entertain theories about shells around other nebulae as soon as someone finds a UA around another nebulae, or one that points somewhere other than Merope consistently. Until then, all logic and evidence says that they point to one system. Michael has said barnacles can be found in other places than this system. Thus, it is not logical to conclude that UAs are exhibiting barnacle pointing behavior. There is nothing yet that says UAs have anything to do with barnacles (but I hope they do).

In light of that, Merope should not be given any heavier weighting in the search over any other system in the Pleiades. Guiding more than a proportional amount of commanders there to search in an unorganized fashion is a waste of resources. I am simply encouraging people not to waste their most precious resource (time) when we have no logic or evidence that Merope has any higher likelihood to contain barnacles. I can see that you aren't to be convinced, and that's fine with me. ;) But I will continue to disagree with people that say "Everyone go look in Merope because the UAs are pointing there." I would rather people said "Everyone go look in the Pleiades nebula, because Michael said we can find barnacles there."
(emphasis mine)

This is my main sticking point with what you're saying. I agree that we have no evidence for or against UA pointing being related in any way to the large barnacle/meta-alloy mystery. However, my guess that it is is no less logical than yours. Again there is no evidence supporting my guess, but there's also no evidence against. My story of UAs pointing to barnacles fits all the known in-game and out of game facts if you assume that:

1. There is a barnacle in the Merope system
2. Barnacles spawn UAs
3. The barnacle in Merope was the first to spawn them (i.e. there are other barnacles but they have not yet spawned UAs).
4. UAs point to the main star in the system of the barnacle that spawned them.

If there's something logically inconsistent with known facts I'm happy to reconsider. I like to think of myself as someone who can change his mind when presented with evidence. As for the Ratking's UA not being from the shell, that doesn't do anything to preclude my hypothesis. I think early free-floaters, convoy UAs, and shell UAs all came from Merope.

As for guiding too many commanders to search Merope you'll see if you look back at my posts (into the end of thread 4 I think) that I was loudly advocating for Merope but also suggesting a comprehensive and organized search and I offered to help organize. I may still since I just found out my poor little Mac Mini can run Horizons (sort of). You'd also see that I was talking about eliminating Merope ASAP since it's such an obvious candidate. It would require lots of commanders submitting what grids they searched, but it could work if enough people volunteered. In terms of wasting resources, people's time is their own and I don't see how a slow and methodical search of a system wastes any more time than everyone running around randomly (or guided by HP Lovecraft) looking for a barnacle site. That's how science is supposed to work. Propose a theory then try to find evidence to disprove it (a gross oversimplification, but good enough for this conversation).

If you have a competing theory on where they may be (other than the Pleiades in general of course) I'd love to hear it. Honestly it's all just a game, I just get a little annoyed when people claim their idea is more "logical", when in fact it's just an argument from lack of imagination.

Good hunting.

(Watch, I spent so long writing this post that MB popped in and said "They're not in Merope")

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I honestly did not know this. I just go straight up the middle every time.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Just tried to drop an UA in orbital flight around a planet in Merope and see if it might change behaviour, sadly didn't, and during diving after it to catch it I bumped it hard :x so much for also trying dropping it on the surface...
Guys... new Cannon sport: UA Drops.

We all get into orbit around a planet then drop our UAs and see who can catch them without blowing them up. This could be big. Patent pending.

Alright I am on Maia A 7 at the bottom of a mountain and found a very hostile base apparently owned by the Ant Hill Mob.
There's def turrets ( at least 2 ) and a few guardians that I could tell ( didn't see sentries ).
There isn't any red zone, they just started shooting missiles straight out and are now trying to laser stuff in the sky non stop even though there's nothing.

Is this worth investigating at all?
Screenshot_0020.jpg

Edit: Just heard explosions and they stopped shooting at the invisible flying things.

Last edited:
Ok there is something strange going on with the background noise on planets.
Get out of the ship disable wave scanner stop the SRV. Disable music and listen there is faint chipping noise that looks like morce.
Maybe barnacles are broadcasting location.
I was on merope 1 b.
Ive managed to get two numbers 44 and 45 but im bad at morse so it might be nothing.

I'm taking a shot at the theory that we need to listen to the planets for a clue. I'm currently stopping by every planet and moon in Merope and recording their signals from space. I'm hoping to find some kind of pattern in some of them that would indicate presence of barnacles or a clue as to where they might be. I might do sounds from the surface as well, then move onto another system if need be.

The shell of UAs is over a hundred light years across, right? It surrounds the entire nebula. It's possible that they're only pointing to Merope because that was a system chosen near the center of the nebula, and we were never supposed to read into it that specifically. "Sphere surrounding the Pleiades? Must be something cool going on in there."

The shell of UAs is over a hundred light years across, right? It surrounds the entire nebula. It's possible that they're only pointing to Merope because that was a system chosen near the center of the nebula, and we were never supposed to read into it that specifically. "Sphere surrounding the Pleiades? Must be something cool going on in there."

This particular nebula surrounding the Pleiades is actually called the Merope Nebula (I looked it up).

Be interesting to see if UAs can be found surrounding other nebulas.

Hello and Barnacles!

So being as this is my first post I will introduce myself, I am Commander KageSendo. I am pretty new to the game being that I bought it at the last of December
and I am greatly enjoying it so far. (warning: Rambling and a lot of text incoming)

Barnacles!
So I too have joined the hunt for these mysterious things called Barnacles and I am currently searching in the Pleiades Nebula. I will put below the fact about the Barnacles
and what I think about one of these facts.

Barnacle Facts (courtesy of Nutter)
1. Are they in the Game? - They are in the game
2. What Region of space can they be found? - Likely to be found in or close to nebulae, specially the Pleiades (aka the Seven Sisters)
3. Where do they live? In the void of space or on a planet? – Planet
4. How will they appear? - Either a POI or a specific placed location.
5. How common are they? - They are exceedingly rare.
6. Has a player found a Barnacle? - No
7. Are they linked to the Meta-Alloys and Mission? – Yes
8. Do I need a Mission to find them? - No

What I think.
In my opinion, Fact 2 is the most important one. The reason why I think this is the most important one, is that it greatly reduces the size of the search area.
The reason why? In my opinion fact 2 is not only a hint on where to focus the the search, but a play on words if I am not reading too much into the hint the Developers have given us.

I have seen A lot of people posting in-game and on the forums that they are going to search around this or that nebula or they are searching
around Pleiades Sector X,Y and Z system and in my opinion they are wasting their time so soon in the search.

Allow me to explain, Fact 2 states "Likely to be found in or close to nebulae, specially the Pleiades (aka the Seven Sisters)", meaning Pleiades is more
likely a place to find these Barnacles, however there is some thing I think a lot of people do not realize.

The Word Pleiades in Astronomy has more than one meaning and that The Seven Sisters is a little more specific, let me explain a just A little more. You have the The Pleiades
Nebula an open star cluster of more than 1000 stars. Then there is The Pleiades ( In Greek Myth, Atlas and Hesperius gave birth to the Hesperides (Percy Jackson anyone).
Atlas and Pleione (also know as Aethra) Gave birth to Hyades (Another star cluster), Hyas and The Pleiades) which are the Nine brightest stats in the Pleiades
Nebula named for the for the Seven Sisters and their parents from Greek Mythology (as mentioned above) and there names are as fallows:

The Parents: Atlas and Pleione
The Sisters: Alcyone, Celaeno, Electra, Maia, Merope, Sterope (Also Called Asterope) and Taygeta (Fun Fact: The name Sterope and Asterope is shared by two different stars because
she was called either, so there are two different star systems in game, one for each name, for a total of ten star systems!)

The Leg Work.
After getting home from out and about around town, I decided to do some reading and came across the information above so I took my Ship and went to
do some investigating based on the information above, and find out which of the Nine star systems above have bodies you can land
on and this is what I have found out so far.

Out of Ten Systems, Four can be ruled out because they do not have any planets or any planets that you can land on.

Systems that have been ruled out: Alcyone, Asterope, Celaeno and Sterope
Systems that have Planets you can land on: Atlas(4), Electra(3), Maia(25), Merope(13), Taygeta(11) and Pleione(21)
The number in Parenthesis is the number of planets in that system you can land on.

My plan is to start at system with the lowest amount of planets you can land on and then go to the system with the next highest ect. ect, and try to add
some form of method to the madness the Developers have unleashed.

After Thoughts
I could be could be wrong about every thing I said above, it would not be the first time I was wrong about something I said. I do believe it
is the best starting point this early in the search, and if nothing is found on any of the planets listed in the systems above they are
still good locations to expand the search outward from.

If you have had the patience to read all of this.

Thank you, Commander KageSendo.

P.s. If you want to hangout with some nice people and talk/chat or to wing up with, check out the r/EliteDangerous Subreddit Discord which can be found
on the right menu bar of the subreddit or you can click on this handy dandy link (https://discordapp.com/invite/0V5hfT4eO8ePS12w)

P.p.s If you do use the discord A. You will not be able to use voice chat until you set a push to talk key under the voice settings
and B. If you are using the browser version of discord you will not be able to talk if that browser and its discord tab is not the window in focus,
you can only alt-tab and still be able to talk to people with the desktop application.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom