Sector Mapping - Dumbbell Project

- What is the Dumbbell Project?

The Dumbbell project is an initiative started within the Alliance Elite Diplomatic Corps (AEDC) during April 3301, after the Alliance of Independent Systems announced their colonization programme. The initial scope of our project was to provide good colonization targets within the Dumbbell Sector to build on existing lore. Over time it has developed into a much larger goal; the complete survey of the sector!

For that, we in the AEDC have catalogued the systems within the sector, approximately 9000 of them in a 100ly radius around the Dumbbell Nebula (BD+22 3878). The Dumbbell Sector's borders are a little over 1000 LY from Sol, so this is a good exercise for explorers who want to make small excursions instead of going deep into the black, while also contributing to something greater!

- Why do this?
From a gameplay perspective exploration can be a lonely experience, this project allows exploration to be a group activity to share discoveries and to create a goal to achieve. We had thought about complete galactic exploration but we decided to start small(ish)! There are no time limits and no rewards, except for the satisfaction of exploring and discovering what the sector contains as a community! You can come and go as you please or simply observe the progress being made. It's open to everyone!

We discussed the idea of detailed recording of every planet in the system but that was too time consuming and you'd spend more time entering data on a spreadsheet than exploring. That's why we went for a simpler approach (see below). Also, if colonisation did happen Universal Cartographics could share the data for surrounding systems with the associated minor factions for a price. We’ve currently recorded 361 objects of interest in the sector:

8 Earth-likes
40 Water candidates for terraforming (cfts)
54 Water worlds
238 High Metal Content cfts
6 Rocky cfts
15 Ammonia worlds.

Progress Update: 11/06/3303
14 Earth-likes
76 Water candidates for terraforming (cfts)
114 Water worlds
361 High Metal Content cfts
7 Rocky cfts
28 Ammonia worlds.

- What do we aim to achieve?

The end result will be a list of potentially interesting or colonisable worlds for the entire community to examine and utilise for future reference. If there’s sufficient interest in this idea we can catalogue other sectors for detailed scanning in the future, 1 sector at a time. We can make a list of sectors and put it to a community vote if there's somewhere of interest to scan. All suggestions are welcome. This project could also overlap with or build upon initiatives created by other exploration groups, e.g. the Pioneer’s Cooperative competition to find an earth-like planet towards Sag A. Once a suitable location has been found, detailed scans of the surrounding area could be undertaken to discover the potential for further colonisation of the region. There’s also interesting possibilities to develop a new player driven exploration story arc or to build on existing lore. How will the various stories evolve and interact? Time will tell…

2016 (or 3302 depending on your timezone) has begun with multiple exciting exploration initiatives, each providing opportunities to make exploration more entertaining and fun for both the individual and the community as a whole!

-What can I do to contribute?

Exploring and fill in a simple spreadsheet to track progress.

The ultimate goal of this project is to scan everything in the sector, including rocky and icy bodies (but not asteroid belts). In simple terms, the goal is to have a commander name tag on every body that can have one and belongs in a Dumbbell Sector XX-X system. A person is not obliged to do this, but it should be noted whether a system is not fully scanned like further instructed below to allow other commanders to complete the system.

The doc includes 2 spreadsheets. One of them has all the systems in the sector in Alphabetical order (Dumbbell Sector Systems List), the second (Dumbbell Sector Planets of Interest) has a list of systems with at least something interesting in them. (i.e. the 6 planet types listed earlier)

The first sheet is the main indicator of our progress and the background colour indicates whether a system is surveyed or not.

A blank/white background means that the system is not recorded yet, so are the remaining objective.

Step 1
select a background colour for your commander (e.g. orange). This color code implies that the system is fully scanned, but not turned in yet. It’s main function is to avoid multiple commanders scanning the same systems and allowing commanders to claim first discoveries if they wish to. Additionally, it is requested that some respect is shown and systems turned orange are not sniped. Simply put, it's a "It will go green as soon as I get home indicator.". Please reserve it for only full scans.

yzoZOgA.png

Step 2
This brings us to green. Green background means that the system has been fully discovered and every body is tagged. A general practice would be for a commander to turn all of their oranges to green when finally docking to turn them in, since accidents may happen on the way back home. We’ll gladly assist with turning your chosen commander colour to green if you have a lot of systems when you sell your data. Simply make a note or post in the forum. :)

u3olGDN.png

Wrapping the colour coding up is yellow. Yellow indicates that a system is partially scanned and requires a return visit to complete. e.g. if a system has a star 500ls away and you don’t want to travel to it, you can move on and mark the system yellow.
LE1PYba.png

Step 3
And that brings us to the second sheet, Dumbbell Sector Planets of Interest. This sheet has two uses. It is a document for input of interesting systems and a list of said systems for people to earn some extra cash should they wish to. If you come across something interesting, please remember to include here. Just use the same format at the bottom.

GbOxEd6.png

Don't exert yourself with the alphabetic order stuff, we will do that for you so that you don't have to. :)

A reminder to newer explorers who want to dive in that discounts for exploration ships are available:
Hamilton Gateway, Wolf 406 - 20% on Diamondback Explorer.
Irkutsk, Alioth (requires permit from Alioth Independents) - 20% on Asp Explorer.

We also prepared a little story relating to the project. We hope the community enjoys this idea and we look forward to sharing our discoveries!

Blog post and Sector Map Images

Galnet Article
NjG59GK.png

Last edited:
Sounds like a cool project! If it's still going on when I return from my current expedition (trying to reach the outer galactic arm on the southern rim) I'll definitely contribute.

Sounds like a cool project! If it's still going on when I return from my current expedition (trying to reach the outer galactic arm on the southern rim) I'll definitely contribute.

That's one of the benefits of this project, it'll never end! There will always be sectors to scan! :) We chose the Dumbbell Sector because it was sufficiently far away that it's possible to find undiscovered systems and it's close enough that everyone can easily reach there and participate.

You might want to take a look at explOCR, regarding the difficulty of entering all the data of explored planets : you take screenshots of each objects in a system and it parses them in a database format that's probably easy to export/reuse.
(while the creator is still working on re-adapting the OCR part to the new fonts used since last patch, the application can reparse previously taken screenshots so it's not really a problem)

You might want to take a look at explOCR, regarding the difficulty of entering all the data of explored planets : you take screenshots of each objects in a system and it parses them in a database format that's probably easy to export/reuse.
(while the creator is still working on re-adapting the OCR part to the new fonts used since last patch, the application can reparse previously taken screenshots so it's not really a problem)

Interesting tool, my screen resolution doesn't go to the required size unfortunately. A public easy to use database for all discoveries would be ideal, or if some better exploration tools ingame were provided by FD it would solve all our problems and allow the entire community to map the galaxy in an organised way. We went with a simple spreadsheet approach so that we could list every system in the sector for exploration in a methodical way while also minimising repetition of scans and allowing the monitoring of progress.

I'm sure alot of explorers would like the ability to see what has already been explored or to highlight specific regions of the galaxy for more detailed analysis. Yes, I'm repeating what aRottenKomquat has just said :)
There's so much potential for exploration as a community, it's one of the reasons why we're doing this. I'm rambling a bit, it's an exciting time for exploration in Elite Dangerous!

If our statistics have anything to say so far, it's that rocky candidates for terraforming are rarer than earth likes.

Whoever finds them gets the most bragging rights if you ask me. ;)

If our statistics have anything to say so far, it's that rocky candidates for terraforming are rarer than earth likes.

Whoever finds them gets the most bragging rights if you ask me. ;)

That reminds me of a surprising discovery I made last year, HIP 69811 - earthlike planet + rocky cft

Details:
233.34 ly to Polaris, system is on the same plane as Polaris.
1 earthlike
1 rocky cft (orbiting earthlike)
2 high metal content (1 metal rich ring)
3 gas giants (1 metallic ring)
13 ice moons

http://imgur.com/a/qHU88

The pics need updating but I was surprised to find that single system was unexplored on 7th July. I visited all other nearby systems and each one had been explored. It was my lucky day! :)
It's a minor detour for anyone travelling in the Dumbbell direction.

CMDR Delaron reporting for duty. I have made all preparations and will be out in Dumbbell for no less than a week (barring any emergencies) I will be preforming full mapping starting in the O sector. I will have arrived last night and have begun work. Here is hoping to receiving updates upon my return. If I don't make it tell my family I love them.

Jon474

Banned
I think this is a great idea. I am busy with DW at the minute but would definitely be interested in getting involved in this, or similar, upon my return...if I return, that is.

Good thread.

Kind regards
Jon
T-6E pilot

Last edited:
I think this is a great idea. I am busy with DW at the minute but would definitely be interested in getting involved in this, or similar, upon my return...if I return, that is.

Good thread.

Kind regards
Jon
T-6E pilot

We will be around upon your return commander, Victoria Wolf is a patient one. Slow and steady wins the race.

Be careful out in the dark.

A couple of pics from HD 191856 with a lovely class B blue star on the border of Stock 1 and Dumbbell Sectors.

A fiery high metal planet
SfBq4gr.png

Unspectacular water world
fAoNIQ8.png

Dumbbell Sector JM-W D1-6
Ammonia world orbiting a gas giant
Gt5YibK.jpg

View from the moon on the dark side
Ly3z5d7.jpg

Oho, now this is some quality work. I might join you if I get back before you finish mapping the sector. Best of luck with it!
Also, I don't suppose you happen to have screenshots of the Earth-like worlds? I'd like to add them to the list (see my sig). If you don't, then I'll visit and make the screenies the next time I'll be around there.

Oho, now this is some quality work. I might join you if I get back before you finish mapping the sector. Best of luck with it!
Also, I don't suppose you happen to have screenshots of the Earth-like worlds? I'd like to add them to the list (see my sig). If you don't, then I'll visit and make the screenies the next time I'll be around there.

No, I don't have any screenshots of the earth-likes unfortunately. This project is long term and will likely still be active for quite sometime, there's no rush to join the project. The systems aren't going anywhere :)

I'm now on my way to the Dumbbell Sector in my Cobra mkIII, too.

I just had a little exploration trip on my own, discovering my first Earth like World and was about to head back to the Bubble.
But I think it is a little too soon to return, so I'll stay in the Void for a little longer. :)

The 9th Earth-like world was discovered last night! :)

Excellent progress is being made by everyone involved.

Update: 10th elw found!

Random fiery ball of doom from Dumbbell Sector JM-W D1-26. The system also contains a hmc cft.

gxG3nyo.png

Last edited:
There was also a Dumbbell Sector ELW reported by CMDR Odegard in the list of Earth-like planets a good while ago, so that brings the current total to 11. I went there, verified that the system is all mapped, and updated the sheet accordingly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom