UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 6 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
When I sell meta-alloys at Obsidian I get no contribution credit toward the CG. I had 44, sold 1, and it still said 0 contributed in the CG. I sold 2 more, and still at 0. Went to the main menu, returned to the game, sold 1 meta-alloy, and 0 contributed. I also checked the black market, but the meta-alloys can't be sold there. What could I be doing wrong?

Barnacle Site.jpg

First of all, credit goes to Gypsy12 for the above image, posted in thread #5.

I have been staring at these pictures for a while, and here are a few crazy ideas if anyone wants to try them out. I am currently searching other nebulae, so I cannot visit barnacle sites in Pleiades to try these out.

First of all, here is a quote by Michael Brookes about barnacles and nebulae:

"I'm afraid not - the nebula that they can be found in relates to their origin and I can't talk about that."

What I gather from this is:

a) The nebula they can be found in could be the nebula of origin. If this is the case, the answer to these barnacles in the Pleiades might be within this nebula itself.
b) The nebulae they can be found in is related to where they originated. In this case, we should look for any relationship between the Pleiades and other nebulae. This doesn't have to be limited to in-game search, but perhaps a bit of reading outside of game would be a good idea. (Doing some of that myself).

Here are more ideas:

Let's look at the layout of the barnacle and the spikes around it.

Taleden tried something similar to what I have in mind in a previous post. However, here are some other thoughts.

Using the Pleiades as the center point (where barnacles have been first sighted), distribute the spikes around it as per the pattern around the barnacle, placing each point on a nebula, of course. Does it coincide with any nebulae? the dots do not need to be in the same exact position (it could be rotated) as long as the original pattern is kept.

If we are to take into account the symbol on the barnacle, use each nebula that matches the symbol as a center point, and distribute the spikes around them and see if they coincide with any other nebulae or points of interest.

Has anyone tried to measure the distance between the spikes (in meters)? Are they always the same distances regardless of the barnacle? Even if the pattern is in a different position on each barnacle, if the distance between the different points of the pattern is always the same, it could be a hint.

Better yet, how about the distance between the barnacle and each of the spikes?

Distance in meters could be translated to light years. E.G. 15 meters = 15ly. Using the pleiades as a center point, we might be able to use these numbers and see, for example, what lies "100 light years in that direction".

Barnacle (Pleiades) as a center point, measure the distance from barnacle to each spike and translate it to lys on the galaxy map. Where does it point to?

Just some thoughts. XD Crazy, I know. But who knows what could happen? :)

When I sell meta-alloys at Obsidian I get no contribution credit toward the CG. I had 44, sold 1, and it still said 0 contributed in the CG. I sold 2 more, and still at 0. Went to the main menu, returned to the game, sold 1 meta-alloy, and 0 contributed. I also checked the black market, but the meta-alloys can't be sold there. What could I be doing wrong?

Maybe stating the obvious, but did you sign up for the CG using the bulletin board. And there sometimes is a small delay between selling and the numbers being added to your name. Just wait 30 minutes and see if you've got them now.

Since the last thread has been closed and my post didn't get many eyes i will post my possible finding again.
Here's a image i took of barnard's loop while in the 'vela dark region rt-r c4-0' system
And a picture of the symbol on the barnacle.

It could just be a coincidence but if it is not than it makes some sense since the regor sector borders with the vela dark region.

I looked into this a bit. I could not find any great landing spots where the nebulae aligned to any close match. If the symbol is meant to be a picture of three nebulae aligning, it seems like it should be a near spot-on match, right?

I do agree that considering how nicely the Barnard-Orion arrangement match up to the two spots in the symbol, it seems like a third nebula could sink right into the third spot. Most nebulae that could fit are too far off, with Vela being the closest I found. But Barnard-Orion looks much better if you go further from the bubble and down below the galactic plane.

Approx coords of a good match: 1200:-700:100. Of course you can go a lot closer or further from the Loop and still have a good match. But go too far from that angle and it doesn't work very well.

What I am thinking now is that there is a hidden dark region somewhere in that angle, that must be visually identified from a system. It won't show up on GalMap, because we can't see it from Sol, it's too small. It can't be coincidence that there is a plethora of dark regions near the bubble but few further away. So I'm am jumping systems, getting far enough from the star to see the paint in the galaxy, and looking for a darker region to direct my next jump.

Hi comrades!

I read multiple posts about how to spot barnacles the best way from your ship, and while it is correct that they are best visible below 1 - 1.5km I believe its VERY important to note, that this applies mainly (if not only) to barnacles that have been spawned already (f.e. open mode, where players already "host" / "sit in" instances with barnacles).

This is COMPLETELY different if you are the only person or in a wing with other near players (solo/private group) and where the barnacle has not been spawned yet! E.g. the usecase, whare you are looking for unknown barnacles, and scanning other planets/nebulae.

In my expierence it can take quite a lot of time until the barnacle spawns (or the server registers that a person is near a barnacle to trigger the creation of it) and furthermore i have the feeling that the spawnrange itself is quite low (or can get quite low, relating to the high time it takes to spawn; maybe also related to your internet connection). This means, that if you go at about 1km height, the barnacle can either spawn in your back or so late that you miss it visually because its directly below you.

This happened to me in the crater of Pleiades Sector JC-U b3-2 2 several times (solo/private): I knew where the barancles were and approached them in the huge crater, trying to spot them at 1-1.2km. They were'nt spawning at all, so i flew several same circles in the crater and after the 3rd or fourth i went down to 600-700mtrs and suddenly they pretty much popped into existence only a few hundret meters in front of my eyes. Another time they were a bit farther away when they spawned, this is why i think it could be related to the internet connection quality (and not sure if it even can time out). Btw. this also happens with POIs like factories - at least it looked exactly like a popping tea factory.

My best expierence (also in solo or open) was to go below 700mtrs, everytime i did that, I didnt miss them at least (with the known ones).
Happy to be corrected by others, at least this was what happened to me in solo and private.

cheers

EDIT: i havent yet re-tested that with the latest update, maybe its better now.

Last edited:

It's been bugged for pretty much the entire duration of the CG...if you don't sell ALL of your alloys in one go (ie empty your hold) they don't get credited for whatever reason. Try it with just a few in your hold if you're unsure about dumping them all in one go :)

It's bugged.

Selling any less than all you're carrying doesn't count.

ninja'd

Last edited:
Its a know bug. You must sell all the MAs you have at once or they will not count

Lol, double ninja's

Last edited:
Well, I had hoped to find something in the layout of the formation, but I can't find any significant matches so I'll just post my thinking in case someone else has better insight.

-----

We've established that the spikes can be higher or lower compared to the center, depending on the slope of the terrain, which indicates that the formation is made up of separate independently positioned objects, rather than being a single 3D model for the entire formation. That struck me as notable, since it seems to me that it would be simpler for the entire formation to be one model which could be spawned and rendered at a single position. Instead, Frontier clearly asked their artists to create the individual pieces of the formation separately, so that they could be positioned independently of eachother. Why would they do that?

Since the barnacles are clearly meant to be at least semi organic, and E:D already uses procedural generation to easily create variety in other contexts, one easy explanation would be randomness. Individual 3D models would allow the spikes to be randomly positioned around the central barnacle, which would give the formations an even more organic and varied appearance (as might be expected from something growing up through the ground). But we've ruled that out: every formation, even in different star systems, has exactly the same layout. That means instead of whipping up a quick randomizer, someone at Frontier had to manually position every spike in the formation, record all of those positions, and program them in so that every time a barnacle formation spawns, it gets exactly the same spikes in exactly the same relative positions. So again, why would they do that?

Another possible explanation is, of course, that the arrangement has some meaning. In this scenario, it seemed plausible to me that the designers might have asked the art department to work on the 3D models in advance (since that pipeline can be somewhat long), leaving them free to decide later on exactly what the layout was going to be in order to encode the intended meaning.

So I started looking at the layout:
View attachment 98649View attachment 98650View attachment 98651
The first thing I that struck me was that many of the spikes seem to form slight arcs, spiraling out from the center (and indeed, the central barnacle itself has a distinctly spiral kind of appearance). That made me think that perhaps it was meant to be indicative of the spiral arms of the galaxy, and combined with the fact that there are always exactly two fruit-bearing spikes, I thought maybe the entire formation was meant to be a kind of map: if we could use the overall formation to align it to the galaxy map such that one of the fruits matched a known reference point (such as Sol, or the Pleiades), then the other fruit would point to another area of the galaxy. I had hoped that when zooming in on that area, we'd find a nebula that was an even more exact match for the symbol on the central barnacle.

But I haven't had any luck with that. The two fruit-bearing spikes (in yellow above) are too close to the center for either of them to correspond to us (since we're relatively far from the core). My next idea was to look for especially large nebulae, or pulsars, or something else that might line up with this arrangement on the galactic scale, but I couldn't find any clear matches there either.

So that's where I've left it for now. Hopefully someone else will see a pattern here, if there is one.

Ahhh good one! I like the fruit bearing trees as the ends of the galactic bar... Would have liked to see them as either Pleiades and somewhere else... But since I can't get the symbols to fit in.... Awesome... Will play with this.

12 relogs later, barnacles not spawning for me.

I'm off to play Sid Meier's Pirates! and/or watch adult entertainment.

Not having this issue at all, land on JC U B3-2 gather 6 alloys from the three sites, log out, log back into same private group, gather six more, log out and back into private group, etc, etc.. sounds thrilling doesn't it, but the money is good. I have had zero issues with re spawning, and never switched between the modes.

This pattern for the Barnacles seems different.

Right or wrong?

View attachment 98665
Ok, so I took one of the other images from post #36 and the one from post #57 (thanks to both Taleden and Gypsy) and I made an animated fading overlay:

barnacleOverlay.gif

I couldn't make all the spikes line up exactly, but that's probably because both images were not taken at the same angle relative to the planet surface. Looking at it, it seems pretty clear to me that the spike distribution is the same, or at least very similar.

Last edited:
It looks like we've figured out what's causing barnacles (and other surface goodies) not appearing consistently and there should be an update with this fix early next week.

Michael

Excellent. Possibly the biggest news event of a lifetime (for those of us this obsessed with the game, and the unknown stuff that is :D).

:):):)

It looks like we've figured out what's causing barnacles (and other surface goodies) not appearing consistently and there should be an update with this fix early next week.

Michael

Thanks Michael. I've spent the last week flying around the Pleiades looking for alternate barnacle sites, and I have no way to know if I've actually been in the right place once, or several times, but Barnie didn't show up. A bit of a pain, since I now don't know if I should be going back to re-exploring the dozens of planets I've already been to.

But still, better late than never, so good to know the team managed to find the bug.

Tinfoil WARNING: The Barnacles could have been "sent" in various Nebulae by their "creators": but each nebula could have a different Barnacle MARKING, depicting that nebula viewed from their creators' HomeWorld.
Finding more nebulae, and using their unique Barnacles Marking, we could be able to triangulate their HomeWorld location.

Dont give such crazy ideas to FD.... or they will imolement it for sure ;)

Ok, so I took one of the other images from post #36 and the one from post #57 (thanks to both Taleden and Gypsy) and I made an animated fading overlay:

View attachment 98681

I couldn't make all the spikes line up exactly, but that's probably because both images were not taken at the same angle relative to the planet surface. Looking at it, it seems pretty clear to me that the spike distribution is the same, or at least very similar.

Looks like a starmap.

EDIT: And I'm obviously not the first to point that out :p

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom