Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Beggars Canyon live-MWM

The Buckyball Racing Club is proud to present a Mid Week Madness special live event:

icrKkpp.png

Racing location:

Okinura 2A (0.12G) at coordinates -39.7º / 24.5º

Timetable:

LocationLocal timeGalactic Mean Time
EuropeMay 4, 19:00 CESTMay 4, 17:00 GMT
AmericasMay 4, 19:00 CDTMay 5, 00:00 GMT
Asia PacificMay 5, 19:00 AESTMay 5, 09:00 GMT

Track map

pnaowP6.png

Walk-through video:

[video=youtube_share;xhbfsgoCr78]https://youtu.be/xhbfsgoCr78[/video]

Ships:

There are no restrictions on ship types or loadout. If you think you've found a winning formula for a T9, go for it :D

Scoring and rules:

As in the old terrestrial internal combustion engine racing event called "Speedway", each racer has to participate in a number of "Heats", each consisting of 4 laps around the racing track outlined above. Each racer receives points according to what place they finished in. For example, if there are 4 racers in a heat, 1st place will be rewarded 3 points, 2nd 2 points and 3rd 1 point. Last place does not receive any points.

The number of heats will largely depend on how many people are signed up.

Each racer will have to run the same number of heats, so the scoring will be the same for all time zones. This also prohibits the same racer from participating in more than one timezone. You may register for all three timezones, but only run in one.

Only exception: If you fail to complete the required number of heats because of unforeseen problems beyond your control, such as failing internet connection or server outages. All achieved points from previous races will be void.

Failure to complete a heat due to ship destruction or module failure does not fall under the exception mentioned above and will be scored with zero points for that heat.

Cutting corners or flying above the course (over the plateau surrounding the course) will lead to disqualification, meaning a score of zero for that heat.

At the end of the racing event, the points for each racer will be summed up. Highest number of points wins.

In case of a tie in points, the racer with the fastest overall heat will win.

The race marshalls will perform video recording of each heat to determine heat times and to facilitate photo finishes, should the need arise.

(Line up racers at the start line, start recording, change to galaxy map to determine time and start the race (3-2-1-GO). Exit GalMap and stop recording when last racer has crossed the finish line. Rename video file with TZ+heat#)

How to participate:

Please post your intent to race in this thread, stating:
CMDR name.
Forum name (if different from CMDR name).
Ship type.
Ship name.
Which time zone you'll be racing in (see above).

In order to lessen the wrath of the instancing gods, a private group has been set up for the event. Please apply to the "Stern Winter" private group well before the race.

CMDR Samwell Drakhyr has very kindly set up a Discord channel for Buckyball Racing.

Before the race, please remember to turn off "Report crimes against me". A few bumps and scratches are to be expected. Noone needs fines or bounties on top of that. That being said, excessively violent flying and un-sportsman-like behaviour will be punished with disqualification at the race marshalls discretion.

Bennett Gateway (61.02LS, Starport) has a wide selection of ships and modules

Last edited:

Please post your intent to race in this thread, stating:
CMDR Terrorsidic
Viper mk3 or Cobra mk3 (not sure yet)
Viper or Cobra

Time,
I live in AEST but my available hours are not :p
BUT do I have a better chance of winning by racing with less people in the Asia Pacific time? :D

Last edited:
Timetable:

I'll jump on for this

CMDR SpartanCK7
Eagle
Spartan Canyon Dodger

Time: I'll be joining the Americas due to work shifts

Can I suggest that people make sure to have a practice run before choosing to go with Cobras. There are some tight corners. :D

Sounds awesome I'll be there.

CMDR Heat Shield
Imperial Eagle - Screech
European time - although I might come along to the others as well.

Regarding instancing, on DWE we found the way to get everyone in the same instance is to wing up. Then once you are in, drop out of the wing so you can invite others in.

We would regularly exceed 30+ players in an instance.

The first person there wants to have good uplink bandwidth as I think they become the "host" of the instance.

FDev said unless you wing up the instance cap is 16 players. Using wing invites you can get more people in. They asked us not to go over 50 players as it causes server issues.

Long time no see commanders, i used to flight in canyons with a keelback, but it looks like that if i want to beat the commanders right here will need something faster...
Sooo, here my registration card:

Cmdr Knils_Nodantasee
Viper Mk III
Hyouri
EU time zone

Do you have to stay down in the canyon? It seems pretty shallow for a live race.

edit: I guess what I'm really asking is, how is this going to work a canyon with multiple racers? Should we expect a lot of collisions between ships? Is there a point at which someone DQs themselves because they went to high?

Last edited:
Im gonna join in on the fun so signing up for the euro race:)

CMDR name: Rewision X
Forum name: Rewision
Ship type: Viper mk3 or Imperial eagle have not yet decided!
Timezone: Europe

Last edited:
I made a "How to Find..." video.

[video=youtube_share;k3_qkbRP-FY]https://youtu.be/k3_qkbRP-FY[/video]

Conveniently, at the end it also shows how NOT to race, in case you were wondering.

How accurately we have to repeat the course in walk-through video?
Am I doing it right?

WARNING! Awful video quality. My pc can't do it better, sorry >.<
[video=youtube;yf28WH8_Ccw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf28WH8_Ccw[/video]

Top Bottom